ADVERTISEMENT

4-Piece Nuggets: Several post-spring game recruiting updates

Parker Thune

Campus Legend
Gold Member
Apr 30, 2023

— After touching base with several sources, I’ve fired in a FutureCast in favor of the Sooners for Courtland Guillory. I’ve mentioned in recent weeks that I was getting closer to making the pick, and I’m now ready to do so after he attended the spring game yesterday. It’s a Red River battle for the four-star cornerback, but Oklahoma maintains the edge and I think it speaks volumes that he was in Norman — not Austin — yesterday. And that’s not the first time I’ve written those words. The Sooners and Longhorns have had multiple recruiting events on a coinciding date this spring, and on each of those occasions, Guillory has been in Norman. So I’ll call the shot.

— Two Houston-area targets that didn’t make it in are Max Granville and Jermaine Bishop. Granville was at Texas A&M yesterday, and though I’ve always been skeptical that Granville winds up a Sooner in the end, the late change of plans in this case diminishes the optimism even further. Penn State is also heavily involved with Granville, and I’m told the Nittany Lions’ recent success in developing edge rushers has caught Granville’s attention. The Sooners definitely had the early juice in this recruitment, but I would no longer call them the leader heading into OV season. On the other hand, I’m told Bishop’s absence was unavoidable and related to car issues. He is very much an Oklahoma lean at the moment.

— More coming on Cortez Mills, but I’m told he will now OV to Oklahoma on June 14-16 rather than taking a previously scheduled official visit to Nebraska on that weekend. I still think Miami is going to be tough to overcome, but if anybody can do it, Emmett Jones is that guy. Definitely becoming a situation to watch here. And he’s not the only wide receiver with whom the Sooners have put themselves in outstanding position.

— I am this close to dropping a FutureCast in favor of the Sooners for Andrew Marsh. The only thing that’s holding me back is some of the background knowledge that I have of this recruitment, and just a general skepticism that any trend in the process is capable of holding. But there is a LOT of confidence in the Switzer Center that OU is the frontrunner at this point, and the Sooners have the all-important Mom Factor in their favor right now. The visit yesterday went very, very well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News