ADVERTISEMENT

2021 team vs 2022 team.....

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
Good analogies/thoughts by Berry Tramel on the last two seasons:
The 2021 team (10-2) wasn't as good as you would think and the 2022 (6-6) wasn't as bad as you would think.
The 2021 team was 6-1 in games decided by 7 points or less as it underperformed through most of the season.
The 2022 team was 0-4 in games decided by one possession.
The 2021 Sooners were close to being 8-4.... same as the 2022 Sooners.
The best teams don't play many close games.... neither do the worst teams.
Venables had a more difficult job than anyone realized this season. It should be less difficult in 2023, without factoring in transfers and NFL exits.
The Sooners were not a top ten team in 2021 and aren't a bunch of bums this season.

Reactions: coeSooner81
The 2021 team (10-2) wasn't as good as you would think and the 2022 (6-6) wasn't as bad as you would think.
The 2021 team was 6-1 in games decided by 7 points or less as it underperformed through most of the season.
Venables had a more difficult job than anyone realized this season. It should be less difficult in 2023, without factoring in transfers and NFL exits.
The Sooners were not a top ten team in 2021 and aren't a bunch of bums this season.
X 2, & as I pointed out on another board, that 6-1 stat doesn’t even include the KU miracle because Brooks scored with less than a minute to go in the game to push that one to double digits. I personally have no doubt that had CW not stripped his own teammate & dove forward for that first down, we’d have lost that game because KU had just gone through our defense like it wasn’t even there on their previous possession. 2021 was a mirage.

Reactions: CTOkie
So the 2021 team found a way to win 6 out of 7 close games and the 2022 team lost all 4 close games. I’d take the 2021 team in a heart beat. Regardless, Venables had the more challenging chore but I don’t think he managed it that well. But there’s always next season. The jury is still deliberating.

Reactions: iasooner2000
So the 2021 team found a way to win 6 out of 7 close games and the 2022 team lost all 4 close games. I’d take the 2021 team in a heart beat. Regardless, Venables had the more challenging chore but I don’t think he managed it that well. But there’s always next season. The jury is still deliberating.
Well sure, I would take the 2021 team too, given that Caleb Williams, Kennedy Brooks, Mario Williams, Hasselback, Woods, two of the offensive linemen, and the 4 best defenders were on that team. Tramel's points are only about how both teams were close to having the same W/L record.
Tramel states that Venables' rebuilding effort will improve. I don't see how, but I hope there is an upswing in OU's football fortunes.
Texas had a 5-win season a year ago but played close games in all but two games. And I believe the Horns in 2021 were a better team than this year's Sooners team. Venables' job his first year, in my view, is much harder than Sarkisian's job was in 2021.

I get it, but nobody cares about anything except the season record. 2021 put 11-2 on the record book. We’ll see if 2022 posts a winning record (7-6) or the first losing record (6-7) for OU since John Blake was coach. The odds are against Venables posting a winning record based on this year’s performance. That’s going to be the story not what coulda been, IMO.

I get it, but nobody cares about anything except the season record. 2021 put 11-2 on the record book. We’ll see if 2022 posts a winning record (7-6) or the first losing record (6-7) for OU since John Blake was coach. The odds are against Venables posting a winning record based on this year’s performance. That’s going to be the story not what coulda been, IMO.
Agree. 2023 looks more challenging than 2022.
The receiving corps will be paper thin with unproven players, the o-line loses Harrison and maybe Mettauer, LB White leaves, Gray will leave, Redmond will leave among a few others.
What will remain are just names with some good high school resumes. But CFB is not high school football and I've seen many 4- and 5-star recruits falter on the college level at OU.

Reactions: loopafied68
Agree. 2023 looks more challenging than 2022.
The receiving corps will be paper thin with unproven players, the o-line loses Harrison and maybe Mettauer, LB White leaves, Gray will leave, Redmond will leave among a few others.
What will remain are just names with some good high school resumes. But CFB is not high school football and I've seen many 4- and 5-star recruits falter on the college level at OU.
You’re making me so depressed, CT. And the deal is that you’re probably right. Damnit to hell.

Well sure, I would take the 2021 team too, given that Caleb Williams, Kennedy Brooks, Mario Williams, Hasselback, Woods, two of the offensive linemen, and the 4 best defenders were on that team. Tramel's points are only about how both teams were close to having the same W/L record.
Tramel states that Venables' rebuilding effort will improve. I don't see how, but I hope there is an upswing in OU's football fortunes.
Texas had a 5-win season a year ago but played close games in all but two games. And I believe the Horns in 2021 were a better team than this year's Sooners team. Venables' job his first year, in my view, is much harder than Sarkisian's job was in 2021.
this team, IMO, could have/should have been 9-3 or 10-2...if the defense could ever tackle consistently, we could have gotten those 1 or 2 stops on defense which would have made all the difference as Bob Stoops stated...

The only real difference was Caleb Williams.

Reactions: CTOkie
this team, IMO, could have/should have been 9-3 or 10-2...if the defense could ever tackle consistently, we could have gotten those 1 or 2 stops on defense which would have made all the difference as Bob Stoops stated...
We're on my man, 2023. 😁

The only real difference was Caleb Williams.
This in a nutshell. CW isn't exactly a player I disrespect due to the way he went around doing things before leaving but he is a huge playmaker. I believe at worst with CW at OU they go 10-2 and maybe even stretch that to 11-1 because the Texas, and even TCU game would have been much closer. I know the Horns blew OU out but they had no offense at all that day with Gabriel out.

CW is why USC came within a game of playing in the CFP this season and without him I think USC at best is 8-4 and that may be stretching it because USC like OU in the past had plenty of offense but no defense. Make no mistake though as CW is a special player.

Last edited:
At this point, I'm wondering if we'll have enough players to field a team for a bowl game.
Except for major bowls, most teams will be faced with this issue going forward. Maybe there’s too many bowls. Actually only having to win half your games to qualify for a bowl is pretty silly. One bowl was canceled because there wasn’t enough 6 win teams to choose from. 😂

Reactions: veritas59
So far, OU's biggest losses in the transfer exit tally are:
DT Redmond
WR Tease
OT Harrison

What the seniors and others will do as far as bowl participation is anyone's guess, but there are these names to consider:
LB White
RB Gray
TE Willis
P Turk
OL Murray
OL Mettauer
OL Congel
WR Stoops
DL Coe
DT Johnson
DE Laulu
DB Colden
OL Morris

Looking over the damage left behind in Riley's gutless betrayal, the OU program was, in my opinion, severely impacted by the talent drain that followed, both in recruiting and on the rosters of this year and next.
But Jackson Arnold's recruitment I consider to be the main cog in OU's recovery. He is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Well 4 of OU's losses this year were by a combined 16 points. A few plays here and there and they could have been 10-2 just like last year with far less talent. This Team is pointed in the right direction, especially with the recruiting class coming in, it could get to Top 3-5 before it's all said and done.

Think portal everyone, think portal.

I do believe the 2023 team will be much better than the 2022 team. Last year's incoming class was ranked #10, so far this year, it's ranked #8. BV just has to process non performers, keep stacking incoming classes and then working the portal to plug holes. In today's CFB, a team can turnaround much much quicker than past years because of the portal.

I do believe the 2023 team will be much better than the 2022 team. Last year's incoming class was ranked #10, so far this year, it's ranked #8. BV just has to process non performers, keep stacking incoming classes and then working the portal to plug holes. In today's CFB, a team can turnaround much much quicker than past years because of the portal.
I agree, but on the other hand, some solid programs could also become weaker due to the portal. It all depends who get and who you lose.

So very true...players would always gravitate to a higher profile program like OU. The portal guys and the ones bolting to NFL were minimal contributors aside from Gray, Willis, and Harrison. We have the opportunity to beam up some good talent for 2023...this has yet to finish up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT