ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Sooner State Rankings: New Guy Breaks it Down (40-31)

Joe_DuVall

Sooner starter
Staff
Sep 3, 2015
#40 Moore WR/TE Jordan Jones

+
Jones is a guy I like a lot as a flexed out tight end more-so than as a receiver. His frame gives him a large catching radius and he still maintains plus balance with his size. He does a nice job setting up his defender in his routes, makes tough catches, and has the long speed to do something with it after the catch.

NippyBriefHornedtoad.gif

-
Faster than he is sudden. I would like to see more on tape of him blocking, but Jones is physical and fights for yards with the ball in his hands. That would lead you to believe he could be developed into a decent blocker, because attitude is half the battle.

Verdict: I really think there’s a lot of potential here as a flex tight end.

#39 Bartlesville DE Tristan Crowder

+
One of the first things I noticed about Crowder was how active he is with his hands and feet. He has terrific lateral quickness and doesn’t just rely on an outside pass rush as a lot of guys his age tend to do. Crowder is just a football player. He has multiple 50+ yard touchdown receptions off shovel passes and even had a 30-yard touchdown run.

-
Crowder can sometimes lose leverage too quickly off the snap, as he’ll stand straight up. I’d like to see him bulk up and I wonder how much more his frame can hold. That’s hard to tell on tape, though.

Verdict: I’d like to see his frame in person, but I think Crowder could be an athletic and very productive end at the next level.

#38 Tulsa Will Rogers RB Laqurious Taft

+
Laqurious Taft looks like he’s playing football on easy mode as he zig-zags through defenders play after play after play. His very low center of gravity makes him nearly impossible to pull down or get a good shot on. Great lateral quickness so he can make a guy miss in a phone booth.

-
Obviously Taft’s diminutive stature will cause some concern. He’s never going to be a 20-carry back or go between the tackles. I wonder how his long speed will hold up against better competition.

Verdict: Sure, Taft is height-deficient. But just pop in his tape and you’ll quickly realize there’s a place for him in college football.

#37 Tulsa Union RB Tyler Adkins

+
No shocker that Tulsa Union produces another well-rounded running back. Adkins isn’t the biggest guy, but he’ll still mix it up in the trenches for tough yards. He’s also capable of big plays against the best competition as evident by his 181 yard, three-touchdown performance against Southlake Carroll this year.

-
Akins is a guy who isn’t elite at one thing, but good at everything.

Verdict: Solid running back that coaches will always trust having on the field

#36 Roland ATH Manuel BunchTulsa Commit

+
Bunch is a great high school quarterback for Roland, but I really see a ton of potential at safety in his game. Effortless with his great straight-line speed and clearly the best athlete on the field at all times. Playing quarterback in high school could help him as a safety in college since he’ll have a good grasp on offensive concepts and what they’re trying to accomplish. And just watch him chop his feet and then explode out of it in this play and imagine him doing that out of a backpedal at the backend of a secondary.

MiserableParchedCrane.gif

-

Don’t see too much agility in his game for how much better of an athlete he is than his competition. If he could flip his hips (cue the Josh jokes) and run he may be an elite corner, but I just don’t see that in his game.

Verdict: Count me in as a believer in Bunch’s future as a safety.

#35 Sapulpa RB Dae WilliamsSMU Commit

+
Williams, to borrow a term usually reserved for linemen, is like a dancing bear at running back. Impressively quick feet for a guy that size. He’ll bust off a run every now and then that makes you think this could be a high, high level back.

-
He doesn’t have breakaway speed and not great at making guys miss once into the second level. I wish Williams ran with more violently than he does for a guy his size. Doesn’t catch it clean out of the backfield.

Verdict: I wonder if he’ll ever put it all together, but you can easily see why Williams already has a handful of offers.

#34 Lawton Eisenhower WR Rico Bussey

+
The name of the game with Bussey is speed. His reel is long touchdown after long touchdown. Great balance and feet for a guy with that kind of pace. Perfect for screens and nine routes.

-
I would like to see a wider array of routes. Also, Bussey’s isn’t a guy that will blow you away with his cuts and agility.

Verdict: College football coaches will love his speed. No shock that Bussey has nine scholarship offers already.

#33 Putnam City DB Dreyvon Christon

+
Ball skills are criminally underrated when evaluating defensive backs and Christon has that in spades. He’s a guy with great awareness, is always under control, anticipates throws, and isn’t afraid to get physical in the run game. Reminds me a little of current Oklahoma cornerback Zack Sanchez.

-
Christon’s never going to be a guy that you leave on an island and flip his hips to run with a receiver.

Verdict: Smooth guy who could be a quality corner in the right zone system.

#32 Broken Arrow WR Samuel Akem

+
Akem is the younger brother of former Broken Arrow, and current Oklahoma State linebacker, Gyasi Akem. Great frame and very fluid runner. He looks like a natural athlete on the field.

-
You can tell he’s still raw. Akem isn’t very crisp out of his routes and will let the ball get into his body too much instead of catching it with his hands. Plays smaller than his size.

Verdict: The frame and potential is there, but Akem is going to have to produce on the field to add to his Montana offer.

#31 Stroud OL Tiller Bucktrot Tulsa Commit

+
Tiller. Bucktrot. Take a bow. He’s just a massive, massive human being, at 6-5, 325, and he’s not afraid to beat up on guys smaller than him. I thought his film was Andy Reid’s childhood punt, pass, and kick video at first. Just a road grading, big nasty, mean-muggin son of a gun and I mean that in the BEST way possible. High effort. High motor. Just watch him assemble this pile of defenders in one block.

4aV8ucP.gif

-
As much as I love Bucktrot, the flexibility isn’t really there. He’s also going to have to learn to block with his legs more than his overpowering Thor strength at the next level.

Verdict: If you don’t love watching Tiller Bucktrot’s tape you don’t love football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.