ADVERTISEMENT

You're David Boren.. and you have a choice

WhyNotaSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2004
You're David Boren and the Big 10 and the SEC both have courted you to join their conference. With the money (paycheck) being all equal... what conference do you select? Why?

You're David Boren and the Big 10 and the SEC both have courted you to join their conference. With the money (paycheck) being all equal... what conference do you select? Why?

I'd go Big 10. OU could revive the Nebraska rivalry, be a part of a huge academic conference that participates in a majority of the Olympic sports much like OU. I also don't want OU to have to get into the dirty recruiting tactics that take place in wholesale fashion in the SEC.

I'd go Big 10. OU could revive the Nebraska rivalry, be a part of a huge academic conference that participates in a majority of the Olympic sports much like OU. I also don't want OU to have to get into the dirty recruiting tactics that take place in wholesale fashion in the SEC.
Big 10.

Reactions: iasooner1
I think the B1G would be a good move. Josh already mentioned some really good points. Lots of proud heritage and tradition in the Big 10. I think what OU brings would be more respected than if the Sooners went the the SEC. All that said, those people up north are a different kind of breed than us southerners. That would take some getting used to.

SEC for me. I think OU would benefit more from being able to recruit in that part of the country more so than up north. SEC country is the most talent rich area in the country. The sheer abundance of talent there, OU would have a shot at landing some of those kids. Much less talent to go around up north in Big 10 country and OU would be facing a serious uphill battle in trying to out recruit the bigtime programs that already have a tight grip over those areas.

Wherever y'all go I just hope our administration follows. I'm tired of seeing rivalries go by the waste side because of money/politics.

Welcome back SL . My thoughts are the same. If we go to the Big10, I want Texas to do the same. If we go to the SEC, it would be nice to have OU, TX, & A&M all in the same conference again.

I would relish either conference equally. I don't see a big negative with one over the other. I like the thought of playing Nebraska again and I also like the opportunity of playing Bama more often. It's like "do you want the beautiful brunette or the beautiful blonde or red head". It's a win-win. IMO.

Wherever y'all go I just hope our administration follows. I'm tired of seeing rivalries go by the waste side because of money/politics.

It's not because of politics. It's because of UT arrogance and greed. You ran off three good schools. They left because of your school. If you're tired of it, then get your homies to fix the problem. Following somebody to another conference won't solve it. Nebraska will tell the BIG to avoid UT like the AIDS virus. Except condoms won't help.

The problem with English is that there is no distinction between the second person singular and the second person plural. Though it can often be discerned from context.

In this case, "you" was second person plural. And that was close to obvious from the context. But you, being the discerning fellow that you are, already knew that.

Reactions: iasooner1
Yeah, we were really irrelevant a year ago. Final four. W Quarterback in the top four of the Heisman balloting.

This season we have a coach who is now the dean of college football coaches. Great recruiting class building for this season. Picked number three in the coaches' pre-season poll. Just finishing up a great new stadium remodel. Game three is considered the most coveted ticket in college football this regular season.

I guess you're right. We must suck.

Yeah, we were really irrelevant a year ago. Final four. W Quarterback in the top four of the Heisman balloting.

This season we have a coach who is now the dean of college football coaches. Great recruiting class building for this season. Picked number three in the coaches' pre-season poll. Just finishing up a great new stadium remodel. Game three is considered the most coveted ticket in college football this regular season.

I guess you're right. We must suck.
I don't think he was talking about OU in regards to present day. But talking about OU in regards to the future. Just because OU made the Final Four last year, has a Heisman candidate QB, and finished up some stadium renovations does not rebuke his stance that staying in the Big XII may may eventually be the path to irrelevancy.

And another thing...where in his post did he say OU sucked??

2015 was a nice year for OU and it spawned what is looking like a banner recruiting haul in 2017 as well as what looks to be a solid 2016 class.
But the Big 12 is on a collision course to mediocrity and/or extinction if it can't add big name teams. Also, Baylor may not recover from its scandals, Kansas State looks to fade when Snyder leaves and Kansas, Iowa State and Texas Tech need to elevate their programs soon. Texas, even with winning 2 of 3 from OU in recent years, has to return to being elite again....TCU and Oklahoma State have to maintain their progression.
OU is becoming a very good team in a very lackluster conference. I do not see the Big 12 surviving and OU needs to look out for itself now.

He didn't say the future may be a problem, BR. He said that staying in the XII is a "sure fire way," to become irrelevant. That is nonsense. But I expected you to come to his rescue.
To quote his post specifically,

"That is a sure fire way to put OU on a path to irrelevancy"

Yes he did say "sure fire way". But he also using that to put emphasis on referencing the future with his "on a path" comment. "On a path" very rarely means the eventual outcome is in the present or very immediate future. Or at least that is the way I comprehended his comment.

Now you can choose to call it nonsense simply because you are a champion of just staying in the Big XII. But clearly the Big XII is behind the curve in terms of all other power conferences. A few years ago the Big XII was all about how great 10 teams were, and no conference championship game was needed, and their "one true champion" garbage. Now, to showcase how that original line of thinking was a complete dumpster fire, the conference is pouring over the scraps of teams leftover from the last conference realignment and trying to add teams, and get back to having a legitimate conference title game. That just reeks of incompetence, and pretty much everyone else in the country can see it.

Isn't staying in the Big 12 all about the future ?
Huh?

B.R. Again you parse my post to the largest iota for you to disagree with. I disagree with your claim that the Big 12 is behind the other four conferences. And OU certainly isn't. You screw with the dynamics of recruiting in all sports, by moving most conference games to 1000 miles away, then you'll find that like in so many things, the greener grass elsewhere is an illusion most of the time.

I know the XII had a team in the CFP and the men's basketball final four. And it was us. The sky is not falling and won't any time soon. Staying in the XII keeps conference games close by, reducing costs in all sports. And OU is a top ten team in AD income. I'm fine with change. But changing only for the sake of changing isn't usually a good idea.

Last edited:
Huh?

B.R. Again you parse my post to the largest iota for you to disagree with. I disagree with your claim that the Big 12 is behind the other four conferences. And OU certainly isn't. You screw with the dynamics of recruiting in all sports, by moving most conference games to 1000 miles away, then you'll find that like in so many things, the greener grass elsewhere is an illusion most of the time.

I know the XII had a team in the CFP and the men's basketball final four. And it was us. The sky is not falling and won't any time soon. Staying in the XII keeps conference games close by, reducing costs in all sports. And OU is a top ten team in AD income. I'm fine with change. But changing only for the sake of changing isn't usually a good idea.
I don't mind if you disagree with me saying the Big XII is behind. That's fine. We have disagreed before and this is no different. Hopefully the Big XII can pull it's act together and become a great conference again. But in recent history, it looks like a complete flaming nutsack devoid of any legitimately intelligent leadership. What teams the conference decides are great additions to this conference will say a lot as to whether this conference has a bright future, or whether it is going to become an even larger version of the flaming nutsack that it has been in recent years.

I don't mind if you disagree with me saying the Big XII is behind. That's fine. We have disagreed before and this is no different. Hopefully the Big XII can pull it's act together and become a great conference again. But in recent history, it looks like a complete flaming nutsack devoid of any legitimately intelligent leadership. What teams the conference decides are great additions to this conference will say a lot as to whether this conference has a bright future, or whether it is going to become an even larger version of the flaming nutsack that it has been in recent years.
The teams that might be added have to be, in all fairness, better choices than Louisville, Memphis, UConn, Cincinnati, Colorado State and Tulane. These six will further erode the strength of the conference.
BYU and Houston in my opinion are "bubble" teams for consideration....especially Houston, which may or may not be able to sustain its current (one year) upsurge.
Oklahoma has become the top dog in the conference with its playoff appearance in football (made possible in part due to quarterback injuries to TCU, Baylor and OSU) and its great basketball season last season, but I am concerned that in a few years, its membership in the Big 12 will drag OU down....unless some heavyweight teams can join the conference....and unless some questions can be answered:
Will Texas regain a return to glory ?
Will TCU under Patterson and OSU under Gundy sustain recent surges ?
Will Baylor ever recover from its scandals or fade back into oblivion ?
Will Kansas State remain as competitive when Snyder leaves ?
Will Texas Tech keep being...Texas Tech ?
Will Kansas and Iowa State ever amount to anything in football ?
Can OU gain consideration from the folks who determine what teams make the playoffs if it's the only dominate conference team....and would stop losing to weaker Texas teams 2 out of every 3 years ?

2015 was a nice year for OU and it spawned what is looking like a banner recruiting haul in 2017 as well as what looks to be a solid 2016 class.
But the Big 12 is on a collision course to mediocrity and/or extinction if it can't add big name teams. Also, Baylor may not recover from its scandals, Kansas State looks to fade when Snyder leaves and Kansas, Iowa State and Texas Tech need to elevate their programs soon. Texas, even with winning 2 of 3 from OU in recent years, has to return to being elite again....TCU and Oklahoma State have to maintain their progression.
OU is becoming a very good team in a very lackluster conference. I do not see the Big 12 surviving and OU needs to look out for itself now.

The 2015 year really didn't do much for the 2016 recruiting season. I contend the 2017 class got kicked into high gear with the coaching changes. Cooks, Riley, & Thibideaux laid some serious ground work last year for the 2017 Class, and it shows. The 2015 season is helping close on some 2018 kids already and hopefully a few of the 2017 recruits that are said to be very close to committing.

Reactions: BillyRay
The 2015 year really didn't do much for the 2016 recruiting season. I contend the 2017 class got kicked into high gear with the coaching changes. Cooks, Riley, & Thibideaux laid some serious ground work last year for the 2017 Class, and it shows. The 2015 season is helping close on some 2018 kids already and hopefully a few of the 2017 recruits that are said to be very close to committing.
OU played Clemson on December 31st.
In January and February OU received commitments from nine of its 16 recruits for the 2016 class including LB Caleb Kelly, WR Mykel Jones, DE Amani Bledsoe and DE Mark Jackson....so it's obvious the success from 2015, as well as the coaching changes, gave OU increased leverage in getting these players for 2016 as well as 2017 and beyond.
The 2018 class has two elite players now in OL Brey Walker from Moore and QB Cameron Rising.
The three changes to what was hailed as the "greatest coaching staff in the country" before 2015 has elevated OU's recruiting and level of performance dramatically. Riley (QBs and offensive coordinator), Cooks (DBs and assistant defensive coordinator) and Simmons (outside receivers) are major upgrades and now former player Calvin Thibodeaux comes in as the new defensive line coach with a strong resume....and he was likely the reason Amani Bledsoe came to OU.

The teams that might be added have to be, in all fairness, better choices than Louisville, Memphis, UConn, Cincinnati, Colorado State and Tulane. These six will further erode the strength of the conference.
BYU and Houston in my opinion are "bubble" teams for consideration....especially Houston, which may or may not be able to sustain its current (one year) upsurge.
Oklahoma has become the top dog in the conference with its playoff appearance in football (made possible in part due to quarterback injuries to TCU, Baylor and OSU) and its great basketball season last season, but I am concerned that in a few years, its membership in the Big 12 will drag OU down....unless some heavyweight teams can join the conference....and unless some questions can be answered:
Will Texas regain a return to glory ?
Will TCU under Patterson and OSU under Gundy sustain recent surges ?
Will Baylor ever recover from its scandals or fade back into oblivion ?
Will Kansas State remain as competitive when Snyder leaves ?
Will Texas Tech keep being...Texas Tech ?
Will Kansas and Iowa State ever amount to anything in football ?
Can OU gain consideration from the folks who determine what teams make the playoffs if it's the only dominate conference team....and would stop losing to weaker Texas teams 2 out of every 3 years ?

You do know that Louisville is NOT an option...They're in the ACC now...The 2016/2017 year is their third year in the ACC!!!

:cool:

[QUOTE="CTOkie, post: 1380281, member:
The three changes to what was hailed as the "greatest coaching staff in the country" before 2015 /QUOTE]

Seriously? :rolleyes:

you got it right BillyRay

Why then, has Louisville been mentioned by some of the media ?

They have been brought up because they were the BEST option to pair with West Virginia when they were added...Not because they're available!

The Sooners just won the CBS Best Athletic Department poll of the year for it's Forth Year...Louisville won the initial 1st poll, and finished 3rd and 2nd the previous three years...Yet some still consider them a Commuter City School!!!

That's funny since Louisvillle has been ranked the #1 Most Valuable College Basketball Team in the country something like 10 years running...And as an Athletic Department they are ranked in the Top 22 in overall revenue generated in all sports...That means that at least 2/3's of ALL P5 Schools, and 100% of ALL G5 Schools Can't carry Louisville's Jock!!!

Boren WANTED Louisville in the B-12 during the last expansion......So yeah...The B-12 SCREWED UP when they allowed the Tex-@$$ Schools to control the down vote on adding Louisville...Now look at the Dumpster Fire that IS Baylor!!!

People NEED to do some research before lumping all G5 schools together...There are several G5 Schools that offer way more to the B-12, than Iowa State and Kansas do!!!

Kansas has Three National Championships in Basketball since 1939...Connecticute has Four since 2000...Central Florida just KICKED Top 5 Baylors @$$ in the Fiesta Bowl 3/4 years ago, and Both Schools bring Big TV Markets (Orlando and the Harford/NE Market), and More Eyes to the B12 Product!!!

If people looked at the addition of these schools as a Long Term Investment, and NOT a Quick Money Grab, it's the PAC-12 that would face a Death Spiral in 2025...Because they have ZERO Options for expansion...Except B-12 Teams!!!

Of course Kansas (Basketball), Oklahoma, Texas and West Virginia will always be 100% safe...Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech have a 75% survival chance...Iowa State 50% chance...Baylor and TCU are G5 MWC Bound if the B-12 disolves!!!

Last edited:
110% agree with this!!!

The main problem with the B-12 is that 1/2 of the teams look at it like this:

What's BEST for We.

The other 1/2 look at it like this:

What's BEST for ME!

The We Teams DEPEND on the ME Teams...The ME Teams DON'T Care about the We Teams!!!

Why is Oklahoma State a Ball and Chain for Oklahoma...With T. Boone Pickens Money they're safe and can survive without the Sooners in the same conference...Texas A&M leaving Texas BEHIND, has PROVEN that!!!

Texas Politics is what keeps the Texas Schools together...Now Texas Politics is trying to FORCE the Big-12 to invite Houston if the Big-12 expands!!!

Let Texas Politics build a NEW SWC with ALL Texas Schools...That gives them 11 Schools without A&M
(Baylor, North Texas, Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, UTSA, UTEP)!!!

The rest of the B-12 Schools could rebuild a NEW Big-8/12/14/16 Type Conference (without Colorado, Missouri and Nebraska of course...Too BAD). Have a VISION and look for Teams in New States and or Major Metro Areas.

Have (6):
Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, West Virginia

Add ANY of these (6-8-10 Teams):
Boise State, BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut, East Carolina, Memphis, New Mexico, New Mexico State, Nevada, Northern Illinois, San Diego State, South Florida, Southern Mississippi, Temple, Tulane, UNLV.

Possible (Major) Metro Additions:
Albuquerque
Boise
Chicago
Cincinnati
Denver / Ft. Collins
Hartford
Las Cruces
Las Vegas
Memphis
New Orleanes
Orlando
Philadelphia
Provo / Salt Lake
Reno
San Diego
Tampa / St. Pete

Heck, a NEW Big Eight+ Conference could go from the Plains, across the Upper Midwest into New England (TAKE That BIG), down the Atlantic Coast (TAKE That ACC) and back across the Deep South (TAKE That SEC)...Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, Pensylvania, Connecticut, West Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana...And that's ONLY two Time Zones.

West Pod: Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State.

North Pod: Cincinnati, Connecticut, Iowa State, Northern Illnois.

East Pod: Central Florida, East Carolina, Temple, West Virginia.

South Pod: Memphis, South Florida, Southern Mississippi, Tulane.

If it's ALL about TV Markets and Eyes...Then get AWAY from Tex-@$$...They WANT Atonomy...GIVE it to them...You believe or think ESPN will EVER Extend the LHN after 2030...NOT Gonna Happen!!!

The WORST thing the Big Eight EVER did was to let the Tex-@$$ four in after the SWC Failed due to the RAMPANT Cheating that went on!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: BolderHusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT