ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite Sooner fan experience?

WhyNotaSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2004
Mine had to be while I was at the OU-Nebraska game in 2004. After arriving to the stadium from Chicago, my son called me. He was at Ft Sill for special training. He just found out he had Sunday 'off'. It was unexpected & I had not seen him in awhile and he was about to be shipped off to Iraq. I picked him up Sunday morning along w/ 4 others, had breakfast and went to a sports bar and watched NFL all afternoon. Anyway, it was a great experience, plus OU kicked ass.

Mine happened to be while at a game, but maybe not so for others. What's yours?

January 1st, 1972. Oklahoma -vs- Auburn. Sugar Bowl, in the old rickety Tulane stadium. This was the year Nebraska was #1, we were #2, and Colorado was #3 in the final national rankings.

We were seated next to some pleasant Auburn folks. Auburn has to punt. As Joe Wylie gets in position to receive the kick, I turn to the Auburn folks next to me and comment: "Watch this kid, Wylie".

Guess what. Wylie "takes it to the house." The Auburners turn to me and say, "You've got me convinced." Then they get up and leave.

Good times. :)

http://www.allstatesugarbowl.org/site125.php

Well, a couple of things in that vein...

When the King came into the Winners Circle at the Hilton, Tulsa, and I bought him a scotch and water.
He regaled us all with his rapier wit.
This was right after the back to backs, '74&'75 natty titles, so everyone was on a natural high by virtue of that alone.
A glorious, memorable evening.

A close second was the 1975 Nebraska game in Norman. We gave 'em a pretty good beat down, 35-10, and I believe that was the last year all three Selmons played together.

Freakin' awesome...

Critical edit: I erred in that Lucious Selmon had graduated, therefore only Dewey and Lee Roy were in the Nebby game in 1975.
This post was edited on 2/8 9:18 PM by Soonersincefitty

Sideline passes with my nephew for his first OU game at the OU-Nebraska game during Red October. Although OU got down early14-0 in the first quarter, the OU crowd was never out of it and when the Sooner turned the game around in the 2nd quarter, the place was ear-splitting!

This post was edited on 2/8 9:23 PM by Schoonerman

This post was edited on 2/8 9:23 PM by Schoonerman

Not sure if I could count the 1971 RRR, because I was on the sidelines, but that was the most fun. We'd won once in 13 previous seasons. And we kicked their butts.

Sitting in the stands, likely either the 2003 RRR, in a great seat for 65-13 or high in the end zone amongst the Huskers in 2000 in Norman.

It might have been the 2000 CCG, but a drunk KState student spilled beer on me and it was a very cold night.

Three favorites:
1958 OU-Texas with my dad.
1963 Media Day (August) with my dad.
1971 OU-Texas with my dad.

Thanks, Dad.

October 15, 1988 in Norman. OU ran the ball 72 times for 768 yards against KSU, breaking the single game rushing record they had set against Colorado in 1980. I'm sure Bob Stoops was glad he wasn't at KSU yet...

Gary Gibbs got his one and only RRR victory in 1993 with a 38-17 win in Dallas. Some kid named Gundy was in his senior season at OU and was the most prolific passer in OU history at the time and threw for a whopping 111 yards on 10-17 passing, yet he ran for 3 TD's on that Saturday.

A. P. are his initials and his number was 28. Seems simple, yet if you guessed Adrian Peterson you would be incorrect. 2003 I got to see Antonio Perkins return three punts to the house against UCLA and set several records at the time. #1 OU rolled that night to a 59-24 victory after trailing 10-7 early. Oh what a night, late September back in 2003...

3 come to mind...

1985 OU/Nebraska - Keith Jackson TE reverse!!! The only downer was the fact Nebraska returned a fumble late in the 4th qtr that ruined the shut-out.

2000 OU/Nebraska - We had all "hoped" we were really back - but this signified we really were!

2008 OU/Texas Tech - Jump Around!!! It was probably the craziest OU crowd from start to finish (the 200 OU/Neb would be a close, close 2nd for me).

Of course, any OU/Texas win is great as well - from the blow-outs to the Superman hit/interception... hard to pick from those!

1970 RRR. Texas blew OU out. OU lined up in the Wishbone T for the first time. I could see great things coming.

A year later, Royal called OU the best college football team he had ever seen. Royal said he regretted ever giving Switzer pointers on the Wishbone.

I've been in attendance for two of our most dominating blowouts in the Stoops era.

The 2003 77-0 massacre of Texas A&M and the 2008 hammering of Nebraska 62-28, where it was 35-0 and the end of the 1st quarter.

Its a strangely enjoyable feeling to watch 85k+ people sit in stunned silence after the first few touchdowns.

Easy.....I had a lunch meeting set up at the Mont with Ed Foster, who worked with (for) Steve Owens' insurance agency when to my surprise, Steve and Tinker joined us for lunch. So here I am sitting with three OU All-Americans having lunch thinking "Okay, how can I make this deal work so that I get to do this kind of thing again"........then Joe Washington comes up and says hello to the guys and goes over to join another table. Tinker turned to me and says "You know who that guy is don't you". We all had a big laugh. What a great time!

As for a game experience there have been way too many to put one at the top.

1. '66 RRR; about time
2. 66 OU-Neb; God bless Mike Vachon
3. '74 OU-OSU; NC time; close game became a slaughter; great Little Joe punt return.

No doubt mine was Miami came to Norman and my poor dad had put me on his shoulders most of the game to see. That's when Troy went down. I was 8 but it was electric in there! Great memory, better OP.

Originally posted by Oklabama:

Easy.....I had a lunch meeting set up at the Mont with Ed Foster, who worked with (for) Steve Owens' insurance agency when to my surprise, Steve and Tinker joined us for lunch. So here I am sitting with three OU All-Americans having lunch thinking "Okay, how can I make this deal work so that I get to do this kind of thing again"........then Joe Washington comes up and says hello to the guys and goes over to join another table. Tinker turned to me and says "You know who that guy is don't you". We all had a big laugh. What a great time!

As for a game experience there have been way too many to put one at the top.
Game, set, match, winner, winner, chicken dinner. My eyes are greener than usual....

Cool

Really cool.

Honorable mention to Fitty trying to get the King drunk. :)

Well, thanks Vee, always striving to help my fellow man...

No, in all candor he was pretty boiled when he got there...I would know, of course...
eek.r191677.gif

2000 OU/Nebraska and us down by 14 and coming back to win! I was also at the OSU game, towards the end zone, and saw Derrik Strait knock out the TD that kept alive the chance to play for the NC. It was such a magical season!! I love your story WhyNotaSooner!!!! Many thanks to your son!!!

This post was edited on 2/10 7:34 PM by Sfenn3

Originally posted by Soonersincefitty:
Well, thanks Vee, always striving to help my fellow man...

No, in all candor he was pretty boiled when he got there...I would know, of course...
eek.r191677.gif
haha... I hear you.

So here is my favorite Sooner fan experience. In the mid 90's, we'd moved from Ontario, Canada to Tyler, Texas and my son signed up to play basketball. During the first practice, I'm sitting next to a nice lady whose son was on the team with mine and we're chatting a bit and then she tells me she's from Oklahoma. I asked her how she ended up in Tyler and she said she and her husband met at OU... He was from Henderson. I didn't think much about it until after practice when we were walking out and she said, Oh there's my husband now. She says "Joe, this is Mike. He's from Oklahoma, too". Being the Sooner fan I am, I immediately recognized him and said "Number 22". He gets a surprised look on his face that I not only knew who he was, but called his number. You know by now that I'm talking about Joe Wylie. I had lots of good chats with him during the course of the season, but only asked him one question about football.......... the clip. haha. Anyway, he was as impressive a man as I've ever met; extremely smart, personable, and humble, and he had a great family. That was a good year.

I can think of a few plays that I saw that are still vivid in my memory.

1. Scott Hill leveling Tony Dorsett.
2. Ralph Neely leveling Jim Nance on a kickoff return after the Looney TD.
3. The Looney TD
4. Jim Culbreath's run against Michigan on 3rd and 8 at about the Michigan 30 that led to a TD.
5. Little Joe jumping into a hole, only to find a LB in his path, somehow jumping four feet to his left and circling for a TD.
6. Pruitt on a counter against Texas, finding one safety whom he faked, leaving 80 yards of open space in front.
7. Keith Jackson's catch against Nebraska.
8. LeRoy stopping about four guys, bringing them down, finding that the ball carrier was one of them.
10. Jimbo reaching up from under a pile to grab an ankle on a Colorado tailback to throw him for a loss.

Rod Shoate was a blur when he tackled a Baylor runner at the line of scrimmage in Waco 1973. I thought the Baylor back was on his way to pay dirt.

A Cynthia Ann Parker descendent sat over my left shoulder. The white Parkers are big horn fans. The Comanche Parkers go for OU.

This post was edited on 2/11 9:53 AM by Sunburnt Indian

1984 in Lincoln Nebraska. Danny Bradley won that game for us, along with a big goal line stand.

2006 Big XII Championship game vs. Nebraska. Nebraska fans talked crap to me for a week leading up to the game. Watching the Sooners kick the crap out of Nebraska at Arrowhead was huge. The best part was coming back to Nebraska and giving crap back to the Nubby fans.

2009 Bedlam. The long punt return by Broyles in the fourth quarter was a thing of beauty. All of the Okie Lite fans ducked out of the stadium while we were celebrating. That was also my first game in Norman.

Originally posted by sybarite:
I can think of a few plays that I saw that are still vivid in my memory.

1. Scott Hill leveling Tony Dorsett.
2. Ralph Neely leveling Jim Nance on a kickoff return after the Looney TD.
3. The Looney TD
4. Jim Culbreath's run against Michigan on 3rd and 8 at about the Michigan 30 that led to a TD.
5. Little Joe jumping into a hole, only to find a LB in his path, somehow jumping four feet to his left and circling for a TD.
6. Pruitt on a counter against Texas, finding one safety whom he faked, leaving 80 yards of open space in front.
7. Keith Jackson's catch against Nebraska.
8. LeRoy stopping about four guys, bringing them down, finding that the ball carrier was one of them.
10. Jimbo reaching up from under a pile to grab an ankle on a Colorado tailback to throw him for a loss.
Sybarite, your memory of Ralph Neely reminded me of the times that Bud Wilkinson used Neely to stop the clock on a fourth down punting situation so Bud could sub his players under a new rule that year. In 1964, the NCAA passed a rule that allowed free substitution whenever the clock was stopped. Since sometime in the 1950's, there was no unlimited substitution permitted during the platoon years. So when the Sooners had a fourth down and wanted to punt, Bud had Neely blast the guy across from him before the snap, and I mean Neely would knock the snot out the poor bastard, which would result in a 5 yard penalty...at which point, Bud was free to substitute and could get in what was in essence a punt coverage team. I want to say that Bud was the only coach, or at least the first coach, to use this strategy. I think the NCAA change the rule the next year to allow for unlimited substitutions without the clock having to be stopped. Anyway, my dad and I watched old Ralph do his thing at all the home games that year. That is a good memory.....my dad is 91 and still doing well. BTW, it got to be so that the guy across from Neely knew he was going to get hit and once we saw a guy jump first, which gave Bud a first down. LMAO as I type this.

This post was edited on 2/11 5:00 PM by Oklabama

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT