ADVERTISEMENT

Your best/favorite Footall Coach quote...

Bud Wilkenson, circa Oct. 1961 (after OU started 0-5): I think we are going to win our next 5 games. And they did. Since the guy never bragged I was impressed. And converted to OU from OSU.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
One from the Ole Ball Coach Spurrier back when he coached at Florida. He was asked about having to travel to LSU for a game and was told how tough it is to win there. He said "We love to take our show on the road!"

Chuck Fairbanks, circa. November 1970.

"Anybody gonna beat us, better do it quick."

In the next five and a half years, the Sooners lost to twice to Husker national champions, at Colorado on the ice, and to KU after committing nine turnovers.And that was it.

Reactions: iasooner1
My coach in high school used to say "I wanna see some blood and piss out there on the field tonight!" He used to chew tobacco and looked like he had a baseball in his cheek, never saw him without one. This was back in the 80's.

Joe Phillips, used to be just like this. Tobacco and all.

Joe Phillips, used to be just like this. Tobacco and all.
The Coach I mentioned was Coach Downing, old school guy and was at least in his early 60's in the 80's when I played.
It was as much the way he said it that was just as funny as the words. He was all piss and vinegar, not many of those old school coaches left these days.

"They have a guy out there at right corner that they think is going to the NFL. Well we have the best receiver in the country so f--- him."

Todd Monken

By NO means is this my Favorite...Actually, it's my least, but it is my most memorable quote...

After THE Loss to Notre Dame, which broke the 47 Straight, Bud Wilkinson said, 'Gentlemen, today, we simply did not play well enough to win'. An understated understatement, but short, to the point, and sadly, true...

"We are gonna compete for the SEC and National Championship this year. "
Every Arkansas Pig coach and fan EVERY year usually about March-August time frame only.

Reactions: veritas59
A couple of classic DKR quotes....."When Earl ran, snot flew". At halftime of the 1967 game with OU, The Horns were trailing 6-0 and it could have been much worse. The Sooners were stopped inside the 10 2-3 times with turnovers. Steve Owens, then a soph, was running wild. In the locker room Royal said to his team, "boys, there's a helluva fight going on out there. Don't you think its time we got in it?" Another DKR classic.....when asked to describe Joe Washington...." he's like smoke through a keyhole".

Bum's classic about Don Shula..."He can beat your'n with his'n and his'n with your'n.

“I don’t want to win enough to be placed on NCAA probation, I just want to win enough to warrant an investigation.” -- Bob Nevaney, Nebraska

"The worst thing you can do for someone is anything they can and should do for themselves."
- John Wooden

Bum Phillips, when asked if Earl Campbell was in a class by himself: "I don't know. But whatever class he's in, it don't take long to call roll."

DKR after Texas had a remarkable final seconds win over UCLA during game 23 of an eventual game winning streak during the wishbone days. 1970 They had 3rd and 19 from the Bruin 45 yard line with 20 seconds left in the game, down 17-13. Cotton Speyer caught a pass middle of the field around the 15, broke a tackle and scored. They won 20-17.

A reporter asked Coach Royal afterward if his team wasn't pretty lucky to win. Darrell's reply: "Luck doesn't go around looking for a stumblebum to happen to. You have to put yourself into position to be lucky."

Last edited:
A couple of classic DKR quotes....."When Earl ran, snot flew". At halftime of the 1967 game with OU, The Horns were trailing 6-0 and it could have been much worse. The Sooners were stopped inside the 10 2-3 times with turnovers. Steve Owens, then a soph, was running wild. In the locker room Royal said to his team, "boys, there's a helluva fight going on out there. Don't you think its time we got in it?" Another DKR classic.....when asked to describe Joe Washington...." he's like smoke through a keyhole".

Bum's classic about Don Shula..."He can beat your'n with his'n and his'n with your'n.

Actually OU led at halftime in the 1967 Texas game 7-0 having scored fairly quickly in the first quarter. Kicker Mike Vachon went on to miss four field goals, costing OU the win in a 9-7 loss.
Here's a quote.....
"That boy doesn't know the meaning of the word 'fear'. In fact, I just saw his grades....and that boy doesn't know the meaning of a lot of words".....Bobby Bowden.

Legend has it that former Fla. State coach Bobby Bowden was talking about the Orange Bowl game a while after OU whipped them following the 1979 season.

Went something like:
"I was there on the sideline and the Sooners came out to do their pregame warm ups...they were all so huge!"

"I swear, I felt the earth tilt on its axis...I told my assistant to go find me some brown pants!"

I hated Woody Hayes and still hate Ohio State, but even I had to chuckle when back in the late 60's or early 70's OSU was beating Michigan by almost 30 points and scored again. Even so, Woody went for 2 instead of kicking a PAT. After the game a reporter asked Hayes why he went for the 2 point conversion and Woody replied, "because the rules don't let you go for 3"....or something close to that. I remember LMAO.

Accuracy not guaranteed: Lou Holtz on the attitude of one of his players: "He's like the Kamikaze pilot after his thirty-eighth mission. At some point, you have to question his level of commitment."

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
Not my favorite but I like NFL - Not For Long, Jerry Glanville to an official. Hank Stram was entertaining he sounded like a cartoon character walking the sidelines.

I hated Woody Hayes and still hate Ohio State, but even I had to chuckle when back in the late 60's or early 70's OSU was beating Michigan by almost 30 points and scored again. Even so, Woody went for 2 instead of kicking a PAT. After the game a reporter asked Hayes why he went for the 2 point conversion and Woody replied, "because the rules don't let you go for 3"....or something close to that. I remember LMAO.
I thought Woody Hayes was an idiot. The quote you mentioned came after the 1968 Michigan game when his team scored late to make the score 48-14....then Hayes decided to rub it in with a two point conversion....poetic justice was served a year late when Michigan beat Ohio State 24-12 and kept the Buckeyes from an undefeated season in the final game of the season, without any two point conversions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT