ADVERTISEMENT

Where did you stand when Barry Switzer resigned in 89?

I was standing behind the custom framing counter at the MJDesigns in Carrollton Texas that day doing my managerial duties and I had to listen to crap from the horn fans that I worked with and the customers that chimed in too. A sad day...little did I know at the time that it would be 10 years before the program would recover and post the success that we have had the last 15(with a few bumps along the way)...

A week before Charles Thompson ended up on the cover of SI in prison orange, I saw his coke-purchased charcoal gray Nissan 300 ZX (or were they still called Datsuns back then?) parked up over the curb on the grass near the SE stadium entrance, where the East side upper deck's foundation currently is. His license read something like K CH VI ("King Charles VI" - his number). The players were running amok and the media would have kept focusing their lens on us until Barry left, further dragging the program down. Hell, per his auto-bio, Barry was tired of it all anyway (something about the indiginity of being stood up by 17 year old recruits at 7-11s).

My main beef was with Pres. Swank. Koppel had him on Nightline, and Ted ended with this Q: "But 6 or 7 wins would be OK a long as you were running a clean program right now?" Swank, the anti-Boren as a total media idiot, stupidly took the bait: "But we can still when 10 or 11," just underscoring the need to win at all costs came from the top down. Low point for this university....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT