ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game

They may be proven commodities and damn good players but they haven't previously established themselves as game changers.

I don't think OU is devoid of offensive talent but we definitely don't currently have a roster of known offensive super stars like years past. That's why I say hopefully there will be some breakouts. I would like a bunch of stars to emerge on offense and hopefully that happens, but I'm also very much a realist.

It is possible I misconstrued your point.

It's been a long time since we've gone without having "that dude". Somebody always emerges, it seems, especially at RB.

I'd hope a WR emerges that can either take the top off a defense or become a CeeDee (to a degree) level playmaker that can do damage with YAC.

Personally I see a collective that can get the job done if the OL comes together and Gabriel has a strong command of the offense. With defensive development I'd like to see the offense play with more control and balance and not run every series at warp speed. If they've got rhythm let em cook but if not let's slow it down and make the opposing defense work. Basically, Lebby needs to read the metaphorical room with game management.

Once again, my optimism is heavily swayed by the schedule. A 5-0 start should be a legitimate expectation and then after Texas we can really get a read of where this team is at.

What may turn out to be big pluses are the weaknesses of the first three opponents and surviving each of the first three games without injuries. Lets of players can get valuable playing time and this can give the coaches a fair idea of how good this team can be.
The players acquired since Venables took over, recruits and transfers, can get better familiar playing together.
And then there’s Gabriel, whom I think will be better than ever as he passes the torch to Arnold for 2024.
Biggest improvements must come from the OL, DL and receiving corps, in my opinion. Any improvement in the secondary will hinge on the play of the DL by adding a good pass rush.

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT