ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game

bcsoonerfan

Sooner starter
Aug 7, 2007
Heading north tomorrow at 8. Eager to soak in the Palace.

Anybody else attending?

A few thoughts:

1. Dillon Gabriel has this offense under his control. Knows his reads and makes the right play.

2. The groupings were decently mixed with starters and back ups so it created some continuity issues.

3. The likely starters on defense were stout. The offenses had a lot of trouble getting rhythm. The depth is better than you'd think thanks in large part to the transfer portal.

4. Defensively, Brent showed more in this spring game than we saw most of last season schematically. Single high safety with multiple looks within 7 yards. Like to see it.

5. Offensive line was blah but quite a few guys missing.

6. Farroq is probably the guy at WR but lots of room for guys to step up.

7. Stutsman and Kanak are symbiotic. Strength of the defense but the secondary has loads of ability and Peyton Bowen is worth the hype. Depth on the defensive line is going to be pivotal.

8. Dasan McCullough. That's it. Be ready.

9. Jackson Arnold didn't get much help but when he had even a moment to throw he was sharp. He won't unseat Gabriel this year but with mop up duty he'll be polished enough in 2024 to be a strength.

A few thoughts:

1. Dillon Gabriel has this offense under his control. Knows his reads and makes the right play.

2. The groupings were decently mixed with starters and back ups so it created some continuity issues.

3. The likely starters on defense were stout. The offenses had a lot of trouble getting rhythm. The depth is better than you'd think thanks in large part to the transfer portal.

4. Defensively, Brent showed more in this spring game than we saw most of last season schematically. Single high safety with multiple looks within 7 yards. Like to see it.

7. Stutsman and Kanak are symbiotic. Strength of the defense but the secondary has loads of ability and Peyton Bowen is worth the hype. Depth on the defensive line is going to be pivotal.

9. Jackson Arnold didn't get much help but when he had even a moment to throw he was sharp. He won't unseat Gabriel this year but with mop up duty he'll be polished enough in 2024 to be a strength.
Appreciate it brother. I like point #8. 👍

Last edited:
A few thoughts:

Excellent take-away. A side note about the scoring: Going in I thought it was the dumbest thing ever; and it was intended to be. But it actually made for some great 4th quarter drama one never sees in a Spring game.

Things look promising. Hoping for OU vs. Texas in the B12 Championship game.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Three takeaways from the spring game:

1. The starting defense looked really good.
2. The starting defense looked really good.
3. The starting defense looked really good.

Reactions: Sooners83
Defense did look good, still need to work on covering the back out of the backfield, seemed like RB's were always open. OLine needs to improve, yes several starters were out, but they gave up way to many sacks.

I think Venables is a good choice to coach at OU, but the "we are family"and the bravado talk has to start gaining some traction this year.
He's saying the right things and is recruiting very well, but it's time to kick the bad habits out the door and actualize the impact of the rhetoric on the field.
I really was hoping for a 2025 entry into the SEC because of the "Texas Tech culture" within the program takes more than two years to shed.
I think any judgement of Venables should hold off until after the 2025 season, OU's second year in the SEC, after he has had four recruiting classes.
Until then, buckle up.

I think Venables is a good choice to coach at OU, but the "we are family"and the bravado talk has to start gaining some traction this year.
He's saying the right things and is recruiting very well, but it's time to kick the bad habits out the door and actualize the impact of the rhetoric on the field.
I really was hoping for a 2025 entry into the SEC because of the "Texas Tech culture" within the program takes more than two years to shed.
I think any judgement of Venables should hold off until after the 2025 season, OU's second year in the SEC, after he has had four recruiting classes.
Until then, buckle up.
Season two might surprise even you my man. I've been buckled up for 50 years.

Reactions: tansoonerfan
Is there anyplace to watch a replay of the spring game? I watched a little, but mostly watched softball, and I can't tape ESPN+.

Thats what I was thinking after watching it again last night.
No star WR, RB, TE...

Think of years past when we've had household names in those positions coming out of the spring camp. I could name the names but I don't need to. There doesn't currently appear to be anyone like that on campus.

Hopefully we see some kids break out, but I think 2023 won't be a whole lot better than 2022.

Or maybe the offense is really not good...

😬
I've come to believe that the most underrated part of offense these days are quality of wide receivers. In the last two years, OUr receiving corps has taken steps backward.

You can always use two or three men like Stoops, who are good at getting open and CTDB. You can have a lot of those guys and be good. But you need at least two guys who are athletic studs, and are speedy and good at everything a pass catcher ought be be good at. Guys who are least top second day, 2nd or 3rd round NFL draft choice guys. Better if they're first rounders and worth it. If you have those guys and are solid everywhere else, you can dictate to the defense. If not, they can dictate to you. Last year, we were the latter, and I fear this year. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
No star WR, RB, TE...

Think of years past when we've had household names in those positions coming out of the spring camp. I could name the names but I don't need to. There doesn't currently appear to be anyone like that on campus.

Hopefully we see some kids break out, but I think 2023 won't be a whole lot better than 2022.

On campus? I think that's a bit harsh.

Stogner is a proven commodity. Barnes has proven himself and Sawchuk looked pretty damn good against FSU.

We have a number of established guys but haven't reached star power.

I agree that we need some breakouts but I think we've got a number of guys who can.

Stogner is a proven commodity. Barnes has proven himself and Sawchuk looked pretty damn good against FSU.

I agree that we need some breakouts but I think we've got a number of guys who can.
Hang on brother. Defense will dictate OUR season.

Potential means they ain't done it yet. We have a lot of potential.

Reactions: CTOkie

They may be proven commodities and damn good players but they haven't previously established themselves as game changers.

I don't think OU is devoid of offensive talent but we definitely don't currently have a roster of known offensive super stars like years past. That's why I say hopefully there will be some breakouts. I would like a bunch of stars to emerge on offense and hopefully that happens, but I'm also very much a realist.

Reactions: Oklabama
No star WR, RB, TE...

Red/White stats and lack of success on offense had more to do with jigsaw OL IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT