ADVERTISEMENT

OU and Kansas to the Big10???

Tuloma

Sooner commitment
Jun 30, 2004
There has been some speculation on the Conference Realignment board about the Big10 being interested in adding OU and Kansas. The Big10 TV contract is due for renewal in 2017.

Some think that the ACC schools (Virginia and North Carolina) that the Big10 might have had an interest in, are not interested in the Big10. Reportedly The Big has vetted OU and Kansas.

Just wondering if Boren's comments have anything to do with this possibility.

I'd go. Football fans would have to learn to deal with snow.

Oh I don't know. OU would probably be in a division with Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern and Wisconsin. Weather shouldn't be bad.

Last edited:
I grew up in LIncoln, Nebraska until I was eleven. It snows in September. It snows. It snows some more. Then, it snows some more. I remember one year when only the city bus line was operating for about two months. Two physicians used sleighs to get to their patients---along about 1948 or 49.

We aren't gonna do this again are we? Every week someone stops by here with news of conference alignment and ou is leaving.

Reactions: BillyRay
I grew up in LIncoln, Nebraska until I was eleven. It snows in September. It snows. It snows some more. Then, it snows some more. I remember one year when only the city bus line was operating for about two months. Two physicians used sleighs to get to their patients---along about 1948 or 49.

I don't remember those end of the season OU-Nebraska games having all that much snow ....sometimes cold, but not a lot of snow. Seems like the worst games were in Stillwater .

To eacn his own, but I would welcome seeing OU and Nebraska face off every year....snow or no snow. I just don't ever remember snow being that big of an issue.

I don't believe there's any fire to this. I don't even really see any smoke. I think this is all just made up stuff to get people talking about it so the media can have something to focus on during this lull period before football kicks back up. There's absolutely nobody in the administration of any school affiliated with the Big Twelve (or other conferences for that matter) that's talking about ending the Big Twelve. Boren came out and talked about adding members, but that's not the same as "we're leaving". It's not even implied, save for a few people who want it to be implied.

I don't believe there's any fire to this. I don't even really see any smoke. I think this is all just made up stuff to get people talking about it so the media can have something to focus on during this lull period before football kicks back up. There's absolutely nobody in the administration of any school affiliated with the Big Twelve (or other conferences for that matter) that's talking about ending the Big Twelve. Boren came out and talked about adding members, but that's not the same as "we're leaving". It's not even implied, save for a few people who want it to be implied.

Ok, fair position. Most of these blips on the radar prove to be nothing rather than something.

However, the big ten is entering contract renegotiation after this season. What that has meant in the past is, acquire new property.

We have 4 places at the playoff table and 5 conferences wanting one. Logic would tell us, dissolution of one conference and integration of that conference into the remaining 4 would offer the balance we desire.

The question is, who gets swallowed up? Us? Or the ACC?

If it's us, the B1G could potentially make a play for the two biggest properties on the board (us and KU). Texas could be considered bigger, but Fox owns B1G and LHN makes UT an ESPN property.

For a good metaphor example. B1G needs to grab up Park Place (us) before SEC / ESPN does and uses already owned UT- Boardwalk and puts hotels on it.

Like it or not, Somebody is going down!!!

PAC can ONLY expand East...Targets WOULD be Big-12 Schools...

Big-12 can expand East or West...But Conference Powers that be, have the SAME Problem the Big East Admin did...Being REACTIVE...NOT Proactive!!!

Kansas and Oklahoma to the BIG make PERFECT Sense...Reunites them with Nebraska, and gives the BIG Two Blueblood Programs...One in Basketball, and One in Football...

If the BIG took Nebraska after they lost their AAU Status, there's ZERO reason why they can't take The Sooners!!!

As long as Schools like Oklahoma State and Texas Tech have a place to land (PAC along with Kansas State and Iowa State), I don't see why Politics in either Oklahoma or Texas would care, or get involved!!!

Best case scenario...Air Force, Army, BYU, Navy, Notre Dame and Texas go Independent (BYU, ND and Texas could keep their Respective Network Deals), and all Independents play each other and fill out their schedules with teams from the G5/P5.

The Horns could still play The Sooners OOC and add Texas A&M back to it's schedule.

Kansas and OU could still play K-ST and OSU OOC...It would be EASY to do...

The ACC could add Connecticut and Cincinnati, while the SEC added West Virginia and say Houston or TCU...

JMHO!

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: sybarite
Like it or not, Somebody is going down!!!

PAC can ONLY expand East...Targets WOULD be Big-12 Schools...

Big-12 can expand East or West...But Conference Powers that be, have the SAME Problem the Big East Admin did...Being REACTIVE...NOT Proactive!!!

Kansas and Oklahoma to the BIG make PERFECT Sense...Reunites them with Nebraska, and gives the BIG Two Blueblood Programs...One in Basketball, and One in Football...

If the BIG took Nebraska after they lost their AAU Status, there's ZERO reason why they can't take The Sooners!!!

As long as Schools like Oklahoma State and Texas Tech have a place to land (PAC along with Kansas State and Iowa State), I don't see why Politics in either Oklahoma or Texas would care, or get involved!!!

Best case scenario...Air Force, Army, BYU, Navy, Notre Dame and Texas go Independent (BYU, ND and Texas could keep their Respective Network Deals), and all Independents play each other and fill out their schedules with teams from the G5/P5.

The Horns could still play The Sooners OOC and add Texas A&M back to it's schedule.

Kansas and OU could still K-ST and OSU OOC...It would be EASY to do...

The ACC could add Connecticut and Cincinnati, while the SEC added West Virginia and say Houston or TCU

JMHO!

Not sure about X wanting Ks. Good acad and bb, football gates, not so much & compete w Ne, Mo. The X would prob prefer a couple of ACC schools (Va, NC, GT). Would grab Ok but will the other baggage be to expensive and now the feeling that states have to be connected hurts.

Not sure about X wanting Ks. Good acad and bb, football gates, not so much & compete w Ne, Mo. The X would prob prefer a couple of ACC schools (Va, NC, GT). Would grab Ok but will the other baggage be to expensive and now the feeling that states have to be connected hurts.

Kansas is a NATURAL Rival with Nebraska and Oklahoma, and they trade ISU for Iowa...Thats a GAIN...Besides, get them and you away from Tex-@$$ and I'm BETTING things for both programs and the BIG go WAY Up!!!

After all, why did the Southwest Conference Fail???

Think about it, the Big Eight was in GREAT Shape until the SWC FAILED and you invited the Tex-@$$ Four to join...Where did Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M end up...AWAY from Tex-@$$!!!

Kansas is State U., so they'd bring MOST TV Sets to the BIG, and KU Basketball playing IU, MSU, Mich., Iowa, Purdue, tOSU etc...would be EXCITING!!!

Don't know why you mentioned Missouri, they're in the SEC and have Very LITTLE reason to concern the BIG!!!

Nobody else from the ACC is going to the BIG...They're NOT Financially BROKE like Mary-Land was/is...Besides, NONE of the Teams mentioned have ANYTHING in common with the BIG Conference or States...And UNC and Virginia will NOT play SECOND FIDDLE to tOSU, Mich etc....

The footprint of the BIG expands futher south...Where there are LOTS of Sooner Fans in Texas and connects Oklahoma and Kansas to Nebraska, which ties them to Iowa and the rest of the BIG!

Think about the BIG Network EXPANDING into the Dallas/Ft. Worth Markets and POKING a BIG Stick into the EYES of Tex-@$$!!!

Gotta HAVE a VISION to MAKE it BIG...Thats what the Big East LACKED...And NOW the Big-12 and PAC SUFFER from!!!

Again...JMHO!!!

Kansas is a NATURAL Rival with Nebraska and Oklahoma, and they trade ISU for Iowa...Thats a GAIN...Besides, get them and you away from Tex-@$$ and I'm BETTING things for both programs and the BIG go WAY Up!!!

After all, why did the Southwest Conference Fail???

Think about it, the Big Eight was in GREAT Shape until the SWC FAILED and you invited the Tex-@$$ Four to join...Where did Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M end up...AWAY from Tex-@$$!!!

Kansas is State U., so they'd bring MOST TV Sets to the BIG, and KU Basketball playing IU, MSU, Mich., Iowa, Purdue, tOSU etc...would be EXCITING!!!

Don't know why you mentioned Missouri, they're in the SEC and have Very LITTLE reason to concern the BIG!!!

Nobody else from the ACC is going to the BIG...They're NOT Financially BROKE like Mary-Land was/is...Besides, NONE of the Teams mentioned have ANYTHING in common with the BIG Conference or States...And UNC and Virginia will NOT play SECOND FIDDLE to tOSU, Mich etc....

The footprint of the BIG expands futher south...Where there are LOTS of Sooner Fans in Texas and connects Oklahoma and Kansas to Nebraska, which ties them to Iowa and the rest of the BIG!

Think about the BIG Network EXPANDING into the Dallas/Ft. Worth Markets and POKING a BIG Stick into the EYES of Tex-@$$!!!

Gotta HAVE a VISION to MAKE it BIG...Thats what the Big East LACKED...And NOW the Big-12 and PAC SUFFER from!!!

Again...JMHO!!!

All good points, Missouri was only to show the tv market areas. I really think the X would like to continue down the eastern seaboard and the population area for the benefit of the BTN network. To be sure, I'd love to see the Sooners in the X, facing off w Ne again, just don't see the excitement w Ks, sorry. Great bb school and excellent acads but again, the money is in viewership on fall afternoons. Would the X take Ks to get Ok, don't know. The X has the money and it will dwarf all but the SEC in a few yrs, football (BTN) and surprisingly, the CIC is the money, Ks will fill in the CIC but enough, I really don't know. Does the Sooners actually carry a big stick in the central Texas area, that could be the game changer. By the way, have a lof of family in the Tulsa area and always enjoy the hospitaliity. Like you, jmho. Come back at me. like your adding to my limited knowledge.

Well. Either you have a horrible memory, you grew up in Lincoln over a century ago, or you're just an idiot. The average daily temp in Lincoln in the month of September between 1974 and 2012 was roughly 80 degrees. Literally 3 weather sites I checked says the Lincoln airport doesn't even track snow or precipitation accumulations in September because it's so minute. The last measurable snowfall in Lincoln was in September was in 1985 at 0.8 inches, and that was the only year since 1900 that there has been measurable snowfall in Lincoln in September.

Believe it or not, playing in the Big Ten is a lot better than the rest of the nation give the league credit for. Both OU and KU would be a welcome addition.

Reactions: BolderHusker
Well. Either you have a horrible memory, you grew up in Lincoln over a century ago, or you're just an idiot. The average daily temp in Lincoln in the month of September between 1974 and 2012 was roughly 80 degrees. Literally 3 weather sites I checked says the Lincoln airport doesn't even track snow or precipitation accumulations in September because it's so minute. The last measurable snowfall in Lincoln was in September was in 1985 at 0.8 inches, and that was the only year since 1900 that there has been measurable snowfall in Lincoln in September.

Believe it or not, playing in the Big Ten is a lot better than the rest of the nation give the league credit for. Both OU and KU would be a welcome addition.
http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/publicat/timeline/snowbound_48-49.htm

I was five in 48. I remember snow, snow, and more snow with the first one in September. Don't remember when all of it fell.

Reactions: American Male
All good points, Missouri was only to show the tv market areas. I really think the X would like to continue down the eastern seaboard and the population area for the benefit of the BTN network. To be sure, I'd love to see the Sooners in the X, facing off w Ne again, just don't see the excitement w Ks, sorry. Great bb school and excellent acads but again, the money is in viewership on fall afternoons. Would the X take Ks to get Ok, don't know. The X has the money and it will dwarf all but the SEC in a few yrs, football (BTN) and surprisingly, the CIC is the money, Ks will fill in the CIC but enough, I really don't know. Does the Sooners actually carry a big stick in the central Texas area, that could be the game changer. By the way, have a lof of family in the Tulsa area and always enjoy the hospitaliity. Like you, jmho. Come back at me. like your adding to my limited knowledge.

The BIG's encroachment on the Eastern Seaboard has stopped at Mary-Land...They WANT Notre Dame, but SCREWED The Pooch in that regards...U-Conn would KILL to get in the BIG, but I don't see the BIG taking them!!!

Population demographics constantly change...100,000's of resident are moving from high coast areas in California and the Northwest, and they're moving to the Plains and Southwest States...And with the new energy and fracking going on, I expect Kansas to be right in the middle of it "SOONER", rather than later!

OU has a Huge presence in the lower plains and southwest to include Texas...Texas is where they get 80% of their recruits from...Only the Horns have a bigger following in Texas than Oklahoma...NOT A&M, TCU, SMU, TT etc...

My son and I have some friends that live in the Tulsa area (Retired Air Force), but we live elsewhere. However, I've been a bandwagon Sooner Fan (and Alabama too), for close to 50 years.

Had to as I really didn't have a team to root for until Howard Schnellenberger took over at Louisville...He had a vision and he passed it on to the Small but Faithful Fans that wanted to get off the porch and play with the BIG Boys!

We're still just a AWKARD Teen compared to Alabama, Florida, FSU, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, OU, USC etc...BUT we fought, and are fighting tooth and nail to get where we're at, and IMHO, "AGAIN", the Big-12 F---ed UP not taking Louisville when they took TCU and WVU...Adding Cincinnati and Louisville at the same time would have given the Big-12 a team in the First Playoff!!!

Sorry I rambled on...Just a College Football Fan making due with ALL the changes in the landscape the last 15+ years...I remember when a conference was a regional thing...Now, it's a "MONEY" thing!!!

The Huskers and Sooners NEED to be Neighbors in the SAME Conference AGAIN...I MISS the days of Johnny Rogers and Greg Pruitt!!!

Last edited:
I don't know that I expect growth in the Great Plains states. I can see as many reasons for attrition as for growth. I wouldn't be surprised if water was the key to movement.

I don't know that I expect growth in the Great Plains states. I can see as many reasons for attrition as for growth. I wouldn't be surprised if water was the key to movement.

I see Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma increasing in population do to fracking, "REAL" solar and wind energy jobs being created!!!

And with ALL the rain the Midwest and Plains have gotten since winter has let up, water shouldn't be a problem!!!

;)

There are some very good points and interesting posts in this thread. I sincerely hope somebody is correct, because the Big 12 as it stands today doesn't appear to have a very bright future, IMO. I would support getting back into a conference with Nebraska, but the board of regents may have a big problem breaking out OU from the Cowboys.

Reactions: American Male
There are some very good points and interesting posts in this thread. I sincerely hope somebody is correct, because the Big 12 as it stands today doesn't appear to have a very bright future, IMO. I would support getting back into a conference with Nebraska, but the board of regents may have a big problem breaking out OU from the Cowboys.

At some point, "Little Brother" has to stand on his own Two feet!!!

;)

Don't agree on the X not wanting to grow on the south Atlanta states. Mo was begging for an invite to the X when Ne got their invite, X waited and signed R and Md, strictly for the population exposure, Ne brought the nat'l interest and drew a bye on the AAU, which surprised a lot of people, Again, CIC is suppose to bring as many $ into the X as the athletics. I guess I'm wandering, Ok will be a great addition to any conf it joins.

Don't agree on the X not wanting to grow on the south Atlanta states. Mo was begging for an invite to the X when Ne got their invite, X waited and signed R and Md, strictly for the population exposure, Ne brought the nat'l interest and drew a bye on the AAU, which surprised a lot of people, Again, CIC is suppose to bring as many $ into the X as the athletics. I guess I'm wandering, Ok will be a great addition to any conf it joins.

The BIG may want and like to expand down the East Coast, but those states and schools DON'T WANT to be part of the BIG...The Mary-Land and Rutgers adds were for TV Markets ONLY...But NEITHER of those teams really deliver those markets!

NY is a Sryacuse and St. Johns College BB Market Mainly, and College FB is an after thought because of the Giants and Jets...And Other Pro Teams: Mets-Yankees, Nicks-Nets, Rangers and Islanders also dampen the College Football market there! Army and Syracuse Football have as much viwership in NY as Rutgers!

Baltimore and DC are spread out over numerous Professional, College and High School Teams as well...American-Georgetown-Navy, Ravens-Redskins, Capital-Nationals-Wizzards, Dunbar etc....

NOBODY...TRUE Southerner...In the Mid-Atlantic or Southern States will purchase the BTN...They have ZERO in common...Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Virginia and the Carolinas have more in common with each other, and a SEC/ACC Network is what WILL Sell in those areas!!!

It's a Mason-Dixon Type of thing...Sorry, but thats the way it is!!!

Last edited:
The BIG may want and like to expand down the East Coast, but those states and schools DON'T WANT to be part of the BIG...The Mary-Land and Rutgers adds were for TV Markets ONLY...But NEITHER of those teams really deliver those markets!

NY is a Sryacuse and St. Johns College BB Market Mainly, and College FB is an aftert thought because of the Giants and Jets...And Other Pro Teams: Mets-Yankees, Nicks-Nets, Rangers and Islanders also dampen the College Football market there! Army and Syracuse Football have as much viwership in NY as Rutgers!

Baltimore and DC are spread out over numerous Professional, College and High School Teams as well...American-Georgetown-Navy, Ravens-Redskins, Capital-Nationals-Wizzards, Dunbar etc....

NOBODY...TRUE Southerner...In the Mid-Atlantic or Southern States will purchase the BTN...They have ZERO in common...Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Virginia and the Carolinas have more in common with each other, and a SEC/ACC Network is what WILL Sell in those ares!!!

It's a Mason-Dixon Type of thing...Sorry, but thats the way it is!!!

Misunderstood my comment about X wanting to grow down the east coast. Maryland came because of the money, the R & Md additions added tv sets, not nec viewers. Everyone knows R is a limp chicken in the X but got the tv coverage it wanted and a fair acad school.. Md came because they were broke and the ACC wasn't able to provide the future $, the X even loaned Md money @ low rates to buy their way out. Money is the answer to all probs, including the Big 12 and the conf w boatloads of the stuff is SEC and X. After the next contract, the X will pay even more to the members. Like I said earlier, The X would love to have Ok but, yadda, yadda, yadda. Neb proved that w the fan and popularity base, the X wlill overlook AAU, if the other draws, like location, nat'l int, etc will cover the dif. CIC would like Ks, Delaney & crowd, not so much. Damn capitalists, won't invite their bro if he won't add to the pie share. We do have the right to disagree and keep the discussion civil, that isn't always possible now days. I'd love to see the X add Ok and Virginia, then Ks would fit right in. We're throwing the names of excellent universitys around and I hope they all end up enjoying the greener grass. X really has little int in Syracuse or they would have had them already. jmho and it's getting late in Michigan.

The X would be fine with me. Our only serious competition @ this point would be tosu but it would be a fun ride!
That is exactly what Nebraska and Penn State said about the X. Ne has shown no sign of dominence and PSU, well they're PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT