ADVERTISEMENT

Oh yeah, 😁

Gabriel and OUr online played fantastic today imo.
Agree.
Bonus was having no injuries.
My only concern is how good the backup quarterbacks are. Beville has only done mop-up duty and Booty and Evers haven't played.
Not too many teams have great QB’s as back ups. Beville appears to be adequate but I’m not concerned about Dillion getting injured. It is what it is.

Not too many teams have great QB’s as back ups. Beville appears to be adequate but I’m not concerned about Dillion getting injured. It is what it is.
In a sport that gets more violent and dangerous each year, quality depth is more important than ever......especially for the most important position on the field.
Beville clearly is talented, but he needs to be turned loose at least for a couple of downs and not for the purpose of running up the score.
To Gabriel's credit, he knows when to slide or run to the sideline, as I'm sure most QB's know to do.
The 2000 team had backups Hybl and White behind Heupel. The 2008 team had Halzle and Jones behind Bradford. 2013 had Bell and Knight. 2017 had Mayfield, Murray and Kendall.
2023 will likely see some good players throughout the roster transferring out of OU. With Jackson Arnold arriving, my guess is that at least two QB's will transfer among Beville, Booty and Evers, especially if Gabriel stays.... which I think is likely, unless he gets good reviews from NFL scouts. Given the small number of really good QB's in the NFL, he might.
How "not concerned" would you be with OU facing Texas and OSU (and a few others) with any of OU's backups?

In a sport that gets more violent and dangerous each year, quality depth is more important than ever......especially for the most important position on the field.
Beville clearly is talented, but he needs to be turned loose at least for a couple of downs and not for the purpose of running up the score.
To Gabriel's credit, he knows when to slide or run to the sideline, as I'm sure most QB's know to do.
The 2000 team had backups Hybl and White behind Heupel. The 2008 team had Halzle and Jones behind Bradford. 2013 had Bell and Knight. 2017 had Mayfield, Murray and Kendall.
2023 will likely see some good players throughout the roster transferring out of OU. With Jackson Arnold arriving, my guess is that at least two QB's will transfer among Beville, Booty and Evers, especially if Gabriel stays.... which I think is likely, unless he gets good reviews from NFL scouts. Given the small number of really good QB's in the NFL, he might.
How "not concerned" would you be with OU facing Texas and OSU (and a few others) with any of OU's backups?
I wouldn’t like it, but I’m not going to spend my time worrying about something I have no control over. That’s Brent’s job. So if he can live with it, I can too.

Reactions: iasooner2000

Belville is a good QB. All of his plays with the exception of a couple have been hand-offs to the RB. He has not been turned loose to show us what he has.

Thank you for posting this before I could. I don't know why seasoned fans cannot understand this.

Beville was handcuffed. On the other side, Purdy went in with the handcuffs removed - for a reason. The Huskers are looking for answers.

Last edited:
I know Venables wanted Beville to run the clock late in the game. It was the right thing to do given the lopsided score. As a "seasoned fan" I can understand this.
And no, I don't spend time "worrying" about anything to do about OU football or sports in general. I'm too old for that.
My concern is an observation only....and I want it to become a meaningless concern when all is said and done, given the crowded QB corps (3 backups).

OU was very fortunate to have had great backups at QB for several years, but I think it’s going to be much more difficult now that the NIL is in play. Maybe not. It may just be a question of how much schools (donor programs) are willing to pony up to ensure there’s someone standing on the sideline ready to take over. I still remember Jason White having to play injured in the title game with Thompson watching from the sidelines. That was painful.

Agree.
Bonus was having no injuries.
My only concern is how good the backup quarterbacks are. Beville has only done mop-up duty and Booty and Evers haven't played.
I really wish they'd let the backup quarterbacks throw in mop up time. The only throw was behind the LOS. How can you evaluate a qb, or get him ready if he has to play important time later, if all you let him do is hand off, and run a keeper or two.

I really wish they'd let the backup quarterbacks throw in mop up time. The only throw was behind the LOS. How can you evaluate a qb, or get him ready if he has to play important time later, if all you let him do is hand off, and run a keeper or two.
Yes, I want see what we've got waiting in the wings whether we have Gabriel here next season or not. Yesterday was perfect for just a taste. 👍

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this before I could. I don't know why seasoned fans cannot understand this.

Beville was handcuffed. On the other side, Purdy went in with the handcuffs removed - for a reason. The Huskers are looking for answers.
I agree. I was down on Gabriel quick. Every game, every situation where he would make a mistake, I was ready to throw him under the bus. So, yeah I do feel bad about that and am so glad I was wrong.😁

I agree. I was down on Gabriel quick. Every game, every situation where he would make a mistake, I was ready to throw him under the bus. So, yeah I do feel bad about that and am so glad I was wrong.😁
A lot of us are glad to be wrong when a player we doubted proves himself. I'm still anxious to see OUr offense against a quality defense on the road. But we'll see the best defense we've seen so far at 7 p.m. next Saturday. Gaylord Family Memorial should be rocking.

I'm not sure why there is hand-wringing with how many snaps or what type of plays Beville is getting. Gabriel goes down and we're done; we simply don't have a "QB2" on campus right now. Beville's development doesn't matter and he's already been recruited past. If you are interested in eking out a CCG or whatever with Beville, great, but we're not going to be competitive in the playoffs without Gabriel. This year is suddenly looking like a solid shot at something bigger....

I'm not sure why there is hand-wringing with how many snaps or what type of plays Beville is getting. Gabriel goes down and we're done; we simply don't have a "QB2" on campus right now. Beville's development doesn't matter and he's already been recruited past. If you are interested in eking out a CCG or whatever with Beville, great, but we're not going to be competitive in the playoffs without Gabriel. This year is suddenly looking like a solid shot at something bigger....
Exactly. Nothing can be done about if Gabriel goes down. OU and 90% of the top 25.

This was what I thought as well. Keeping Gabriel healthy is without question a priority in keeping OU a playoff team and one that can compete against the elite team.... unlike the past.

Saturday was perfect for turning Beville loose. Imo.
I agree with you. But I wonder if they might think they're a little short of wide receiver depth and don't want any of them getting hurt. But I just am concerned about growing the depth all over the offense, and some of that has to come from game reps. Especially for the guys who've never played at this level.

I agree with you. But I wonder if they might think they're a little short of wide receiver depth and don't want any of them getting hurt. But I just am concerned about growing the depth all over the offense, and some of that has to come from game reps. Especially for the guys who've never played at this level.
We've got the receivers. Mims, Wease, Farooq. Three of the baddest wr's in cfb. Saturday was no time to hold back with Beville. Only my opinion brother. Maybe I'm getting away from myself. Wouldn't be the first time. 😁

Saturday was perfect for turning Beville loose. Imo.
OU could have scored another 21 to 28 points on Nebraska. BV was intentionally running the clock and I am certain he did not want to run up the score on Nebraska. I think Belville is far better than what others here think. I hope we get to see the full array of his skills this year.

OU could have scored another 21 to 28 points on Nebraska. BV was intentionally running the clock and I am certain he did not want to run up the score on Nebraska. I think Belville is far better than what others here think. I hope we get to see the full array of his skills this year.
This thought is fine an dandy my man. My thoughts are exactly as I've presented them. 😁

I wish we would have ran it up a little. Nebby deserves it after what Osborne did all of those years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT