ADVERTISEMENT

Official Sooner-Texas Tech game thread.

****ing dumbass calls in overtime. Wease and Mims are catching everything. You run a revesre pass to your QB.
Not in the red zone. The difference in the game was that Tech could run basic running plays and over the ball. And when it mattered, we couldn't. The key to the game was when we got the 4th quarter pick and didn't make a first down, settling for a field goal.

It would have been different, but if we'd taken the points on the field goal early, instead of using the fake, those three points might have mattered. But if they'd been down 6 on the last drive, the way we were playing, instead of 3, they'd probably have beaten us in regulation.

Their edge guy on the field goal team's right, recognized the play and jammed up Willis coming across. The goal is for him to get up the field, but have the Willis coming across the line of scrimmage, toss it forward to him and run through the vacancy. But the defender stormed through our right up back and blew the play up. It was like they knew it was coming.

It's not the coaches' faults that our usually reliable kicked missed a chip shot field goal.

Not in the red zone. The difference in the game was that Tech could run basic running plays and over the ball. And when it mattered, we couldn't. The key to the game was when we got the 4th quarter pick and didn't make a first down, settling for a field goal.

It would have been different, but if we'd taken the points on the field goal early, instead of using the fake, those three points might have mattered. But if they'd been down 6 on the last drive, the way we were playing, instead of 3, they'd probably have beaten us in regulation.

Their edge guy on the field goal team's right, recognized the play and jammed up Willis coming across. The goal is for him to get up the field, but have the Willis coming across the line of scrimmage, toss it forward to him and run through the vacancy. But the defender stormed through our right up back and blew the play up. It was like they knew it was coming.

It's not the coaches' faults that our usually reliable kicked missed a chip shot field goal.

That is true, but it just feels like this team knows how to lose and will find a way to do so.

It's the coaches fault for running a reverse pass to your qb causing him to get hurt and then bring in Beville. If you know youre going to do wildcat why not bring an extra blocker in. Your playing 10 on 11.
Players made mistakes Barnes can't catch, Bowman is slow, Lawrence missed tackles, but play calling all season has not been good.

I keep hearing about all the talent we have. But when was the last time you saw one of our safeties make a hit like their safety made twice in the game? He did to our quarterback unprotected. Granted. But he lit up Gray on a big play. They had at least one very large difference maker in the DLine. A huge guy who doubles as a goal line fullback. Had they gotten inside the 5 in OT, we'd have seen him and wouldn't have stopped him. On the half yard line, we have to run a jet sweep with a wide.

This team is really short of talent, no matter how many 4-star guys we've recruited. We went 3-6 in the conference. Officials screwing us hurt, but like BV said, we have a small margin of error. In key situations, they make mistakes that don't get called. Like holding. They push our receiver and they talk about it and do a take-back. The Big 12 officials will screw us every chance they get and have since we announced we're leaving the conference.

It's the coaches fault for running a reverse pass to your qb causing him to get hurt and then bring in Beville. If you know youre going to do wildcat why not bring an extra blocker in. Your playing 10 on 11.
Players made mistakes Barnes can't catch, Bowman is slow, Lawrence missed tackles, but play calling all season has not been good.
Just to add right after OU intercepted Lebby was calling plays like there were only 30 seconds left in the game. Eat some damn clock here and limit Techs time they have when they get the ball back. If done right OU at least kicks that FG with just over 3 min to play instead of 4 1/2 to play if I remember right. He certainly has no concept of using some clock.

These hurry up offenses hurt more than they help late in games when leading. Take the damn time to set the play up.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I keep hearing about all the talent we have. But when was the last time you saw one of our safeties make a hit like their safety made twice in the game? He did to our quarterback unprotected. Granted. But he lit up Gray on a big play. They had at least one very large difference maker in the DLine. A huge guy who doubles as a goal line fullback. Had they gotten inside the 5 in OT, we'd have seen him and wouldn't have stopped him. On the half yard line, we have to run a jet sweep with a wide.

This team is really short of talent, no matter how many 4-star guys we've recruited. We went 3-6 in the conference. Officials screwing us hurt, but like BV said, we have a small margin of error. In key situations, they make mistakes that don't get called. Like holding. They push our receiver and they talk about it and do a take-back. The Big 12 officials will screw us every chance they get and have since we announced we're leaving the conference.
We are our worst enemy. No fire and no discipline. We give up bunches of yards to any quarterback...no matter how lame they are. Guess it’s welcome to the great decline ahead. The Coaches are proving they have no clue.

So now Tech has more talent than us? You are a cat covering up shit.

Maybe these coaches figure it out, maybe they don't. But there is know denying they have been out done all season long.

Well at least they will get to practice for a bowl they will lose.
Honest question here, Do you think the extra practice is really going to do anything for this team? Like many I have been a fan for a very long time and quite honestly a part of me thinks OU should just say “ Thanks but no thanks” to a bowl game.

I know others will disagree but all this will be is a free vacation for the players. OU most likely will face Arkansas in the Texas Bowl as it is and win or lose for either team its doesnt mean a whole lot honestly.

Reactions: tansoonerfan
Gabriel dropped quicker than Maggie's doors.

Mims had a good game, but his 5 catches for 162 yards were all in the first half. Tech secondary wasn't very good, DG had over 440 in the air, so why couldn't we get the ball in mims hands in the 2nd half

I understand that Lebby isn’t liked but his offense put up 48 points which should have been enough to win the game. 672 yards of offense with only one turnover. On the other hand, the defense sucked again. After playing maybe it’s best of the year during the first quarter, it reverted back to what we’ve seen way too much this season. The missed FG killed us, too. It seemed that Brent was very involved with the defensive calls. Given the way the defense played that’s disturbing but may give us hope that he really will make a coaching change. He’s in the process of learning to be a head coach. I would give him a grade of C- thus far. That’s probably too kind. If I had to bet, I would wager we lose our bowl game and suffer our first losing season since John Blake was our coach. If I’m right I bet we lose a few of our 2023 commitments.

If so, Matt Rhule may have an easier time bringing back the Huskers. Only kidding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soonerborn59
48 points and 672 yards should win games. When defense is playing bad offense needs to help out by sustaining drives, slow things down. There's no need to run 80 plays a game when you have a lead. It seemed every pass was either a home run type ball or wr screen. Not having Gundy has a passing coordinator has hurt this year. BV needs to bring Wr coach ASAP. What is this 4 losses by one possession. You win/loose by single digits it's due to coaching get blown out it's because of players.

48 points and 672 yards should win games. When defense is playing bad offense needs to help out by sustaining drives, slow things down. There's no need to run 80 plays a game when you have a lead. It seemed every pass was either a home run type ball or wr screen. Not having Gundy has a passing coordinator has hurt this year. BV needs to bring Wr coach ASAP. What is this 4 losses by one possession. You win/loose by single digits it's due to coaching get blown out it's because of players.
I know you’re more football savvy than most of us, but you can’t convince me Lebby is to blame for this loss. OU ranks #17 on offensive statistically only one yard less than TCU and three behind Alabama. What’s the major difference between those two? They have a fricking defense. Check out how we rank defensively. Did Lebby call a great game. No. But he scored enough to have won. Do I like his play selection. No. But that’s no reason to place blame on him rather than Brent and Roof.

When a team does not play defense, losses like last night are a dime a dozen as OU fans have seen every season.
I knew this season would have challenges, but not to this degree, especially on defense.
Venables will need 2023 and 2024 to put this team back together as long as recruiting can be stable and coaching issues resolved. Until then there must be significant and steady improvement or OU’s legacy becomes a distant memory.
The month of December will tell a lot about how well and how quickly Venables’ work is progressing as players will come and go.

Reactions: Oklabama
I know you’re more football savvy than most of us, but you can’t convince me Lebby is to blame for this loss. OU ranks #17 on offensive statistically only one yard less than TCU and three behind Alabama. What’s the major difference between those two? They have a fricking defense. Check out how we rank defensively. Did Lebby call a great game. No. But he scored enough to have won. Do I like his play selection. No. But that’s no reason to place blame on him rather than Brent and Roof.

Blame falls on every coach. Wease being a senior should know how to run a rub route without getting the pi, that's coaching. Kick return team, I've been begging them to fair catch the short kickoffs, but cant call fair catch and let ball hit the ground, or just drop it. Defense we had players in the right spot they just don't produce. Lawrence should had at least 2 picks and missed several tackles for loss. Bowman just had an awful game. I've said it before lebby is still learning to be a true OC, and bv is learning to be a HC. Roof needs to retire, need a lb coach and a wr coach. Malcom Kelly has proven to be a very good wr coach, would hope he's already been contacted. 3 losses by 9 points. Will be interesting to see who hits the portal and who is staying.

Blame falls on every coach. Wease being a senior should know how to run a rub route without getting the pi, that's coaching. Kick return team, I've been begging them to fair catch the short kickoffs, but cant call fair catch and let ball hit the ground, or just drop it. Defense we had players in the right spot they just don't produce. Lawrence should had at least 2 picks and missed several tackles for loss. Bowman just had an awful game. I've said it before lebby is still learning to be a true OC, and bv is learning to be a HC. Roof needs to retire, need a lb coach and a wr coach. Malcom Kelly has proven to be a very good wr coach, would hope he's already been contacted. 3 losses by 9 points. Will be interesting to see who hits the portal and who is staying.
Not to mention the two touchdowns that were called back due to penalties, right?

Bad and/or mediocre players, can make good coaches look bad....and I'm aware that can work both ways.
Wease, Lawrence and Bowman (and others) are not Venables' recruits and it seems to me that the roster requires a major overhaul with the 2022 and 2023 classes as the foundation to get OU SEC-ready by 2025.
The "Sooner" the 2021 and 2022 seasons are put in the rearview mirror, the "Sooner" OU's rebuilding can take off. And that rebuilding effort all starts with recruiting a different breed of player than what we have seen recently.

Reactions: loopafied68
Bad and/or mediocre players, can make good coaches look bad....and I'm aware that can work both ways.
Wease, Lawrence and Bowman (and others) are not Venables' recruits and it seems to me that the roster requires a major overhaul with the 2022 and 2023 classes as the foundation to get OU SEC-ready by 2025.
The "Sooner" the 2021 and 2022 seasons are put in the rearview mirror, the "Sooner" OU's rebuilding can take off. And that rebuilding effort all starts with recruiting a different breed of player than what we have seen recently.
I agree, CT. I’m just wondering how this conference season has affected our commitments. I’m nervous.

Roof is making 1.1 million this year. Georgia is paying their dc 805k, muschamp isn't leaving but maybe Schumann who is co-DC and inside linebacker coach would make the move for 1.1 million. Blows my mind that roof is making that much.
Just goes to show how bad Venables wanted him. That’s a scary thought.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Roof is making 1.1 million this year. Georgia is paying their dc 805k, muschamp isn't leaving but maybe Schumann who is co-DC and inside linebacker coach would make the move for 1.1 million. Blows my mind that roof is making that much.
Roof doesn't have much talent to work with as OU lost its best 4 defenders from 2021 and has not been able to replace them with equal talent.

Roof doesn't have much talent to work with as OU lost its best 4 defenders from 2021 and has not been able to replace them with equal talent.
#2 is a decent linebacker, but was/is to slow he was out ran all year. Kanak should have played a lot more earlier in the season and should have played last night. Not sure if it's roof or bv who decides who plays but more freshman should have been out there.

Seems stupid to pay Roof a dime for what he botched over...and over. That hire was truly strange. Kick him out of here. He could not coach a HS game.

#2 is a decent linebacker, but was/is to slow he was out ran all year. Kanak should have played a lot more earlier in the season and should have played last night. Not sure if it's roof or bv who decides who plays but more freshman should have been out there.
Kanak wasn't even here for spring ball. And he's not big enough. He wasn't close to ready early in the season. He made some plays, but he also made a ton of mistakes.

I have trouble spelling Ogwoegbu's name, too.

Kanak wasn't even here for spring ball. And he's not big enough. He wasn't close to ready early in the season. He made some plays, but he also made a ton of mistakes.

I have trouble spelling Ogwoegbu's name, too.

Weird considering I watched Kanak play in the spring game and he's 230+ lbs. And every defensive player made mistakes all season.

Kanak will figure it out. Brent will make it happen. 😁

I was calling for Kanak early but White, Stutsman and David U really settled in. They were far from perfect but I can see Stutsman and McKenzie doing big things next season with Kanak having that learning curve at the cheetah next year but still making plays.

If Woodi comes back, the secondary will have a solid foundation with no excuse not to progress.

I was calling for Kanak early but White, Stutsman and David U really settled in. They were far from perfect but I can see Stutsman and McKenzie doing big things next season with Kanak having that learning curve at the cheetah next year but still making plays.

If Woodi comes back, the secondary will have a solid foundation with no excuse not to progress.
Kanak has a nose for the ball. This kid needs to be turned loose on instincts alone. I expect to hear his name called multiple times next season. Instinctive players are difference makers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT