ADVERTISEMENT

WOKElahoma - March 8, 2023

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
*Alright we'll start with the highest composite player on campus this week, Williams Nwaneri of Lee's Summit (Mo.) North, the nation's No. 20 player according to Rivals.

The big pass rusher has been excited about Oklahoma since putting together an impressive workout on June 11 and impressing both Miguel Chavis and Todd Bates but the word around for many is that the Sooners have taken the lead in his recruitment.

"He really likes (the staff at OU) and feels like a good fit for the way OU builds relationships," a source said. "I'd guess he's back about as often as he can be through the spring and summer."

We'll see if some of the proverbial 'post-visit high' wears off but as one source put it 'if he had to choose today, it's Oklahoma'.

**I know many of us, myself included, are wondering when Frisco (Texas) Emerson Rivals250 quarterback Michael Hawkins Jr. might make a decision and though things do feel imminent (yes, I just enjoy using that word because it pleases so many of you) but speaking to Hawkins he said 'I think those are just rumors' before leaving more unsaid about the reality that he'd know best about his plans.

But yes, if you're wondering, I still think Hawkins is nearing a decision and may simply be working out some of the finer points of how he plans to announce.

***Moving away from prep recruiting, what about a little transfer portal talk?

A player that has caught Oklahoma's attention is Shon Stephens from division II West Liberty in West Virginia. The talented corner was a division two All-American after logging eight interceptions in 2022, including four in one game against Alderson Broaddus.

Stephens was supposed to talk with Brent Venables last Friday but the conversation didn't happen but he did say 'I think they are working on setting up a visit for me'.

It definitely feels like the Sooners are trying to stretch things out a bit until they know their numbers game but there's no question there is some interest in the highly productive prospect.

For those unaware Stephens is an incredibly interesting story as he spent 2017-2018 in the JUCO ranks before sitting out in 2019 and eventually signing with Missouri Southern State for the 2020 season. Unfortunately his mother had a heart attack and he took responsibility for her care in 2020 and 2021 before finally getting back to football in 2022.

Due to his time away from football and some of the hiccups in his path to graduation it sounds like the school he attends - I've heard UCLA and Virginia Tech are involved for the Bakersfield, Calif. native - will have to file a waiver on his behalf but due to his hardships with his mother's care, it seems like something that even the NCAA should take no issue with.

We'll see where this goes as it feels a bit uncertain at this point but Oklahoma clearly has interest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News