ADVERTISEMENT

WOKElahoma - March 29, 2023

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
Alright, so there's a lot to cover still from the weekend but one thing that Scoop wanted to cover is the emergence of a few targets for Oklahoma at wide receiver.

It sure feels like the Sooners are pouring a lot of attention into weekend visitors Kwazi Gilmer, Xavier Jordan, and Koby Young.

In the case of Gilmer and Jordan the Sooners have a legitimate chance to make a big play and could steal the two Southern California teammates. And with offers from a number of powerhouses, including USC and Ohio State for Jordan, it would be a major coup for Oklahoma.

As one source put it 'GIlmer is probably the more impressive looking kid but Jordan (at this point) is probably the better player'.

In the case of Young, it's going to be hard to beat out in-state LSU but he definitely seems likely to return for an official visit following his trip this weekend.

"If there is one team that might push LSU right now, it's Oklahoma. He loved that trip, I think they are right there behind (LSU)," a source said.

The Sooners felt this weekend went very well for all three and I've talked a bit with all three guys but so far don't have enough to run a full piece of content. Simply saying that these are some guys that Oklahoma would like to put in their 2024 class that looks increasingly likely to be one of the better groups in the country.

**A quick note as to why? Well speaking to a coaching buddy of mine the other day about one of his star recruits, he had this to say about Oklahoma's newest assistant coach.

"Emmett Jones is an unbelievably huge hire," the coach said. "He's going to get Oklahoma some guys they weren't going to get otherwise. And probably will do that as long as he's there."

I was speaking with someone last night and had a thought cross my mind and, as anyone who listens to the pod has come to expect, I just blurted the idea out.

"Could he the best recruiter on the staff?"

"That's very possible."

So again, Jones is doing big things and has the ground running in Norman.

***Finally, one of the more interesting moves the Sooners seem to be making is for Conroe (Texas) Oak Ridge defensive lineman Joseph Jonah-Ajonye (or to those in the IYKYK club...'JJ Frankie JJ').

Following his visit to Oklahoma in early March I couldn't get over how excited he seemed about the trip but his words about not getting far from home really stuck with me. Well it sounds as though the Sooners have bypassed the field a bit and are currently the betting favorite with him talking about Texas Tech and Oregon more so than the Aggies at this point.

While that all can certainly change it's impressive that the Sooners continue to surge even after his visit.

Now Oregon has made a move and has the heavy edge with his teammate, and unbelievable linebacker Justin Williams - who is an absolute DUDE - but again I'm reminded of how much his mother wants him closer to home. And while OU isn't 'close' it's certainly a drive his mother can make. Oregon is a lengthy plane ride away.

In short? I just like where this is trending for Oklahoma. I'm not ready for a forecast but it's not an outlandish idea in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News