ADVERTISEMENT

WOKElahoma - August 3, 2022

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
*So with the possibility that Oklahoma lands several more commitments in the month of August, the fall could be a very interesting time to be a recruiting reporter - could the focus almost immediately turn to a handful of players? It sure seems possible and one of the most notable battles may turn into Malachi Coleman of Lincoln (Neb.) East. The Rivals100 athlete who visited Oklahoma back in June is clearly high on the Sooners but just how high depends on who you talk to.

There are some who believe the Sooners have made this surprisingly interesting thanks to the work of Joe Jon Finley and the Sooners staff.

On the flip side there are whispers around Lincoln that Coleman has already given a pretty strong indication of his plans to be a Husker.

What's real? Well, for now, it's probably most likely that he is a heavy Nebraska lean with the Sooners fighting the good fight.

So what's the reason to keep fighting? Well, the reality that most all of us know is that Scott Frost and the program's future hangs in the balance this season. Is Coleman likely to pick Nebraska if there is a coaching change or another non-bowl year happens? We'll see but it's at least something that could provide Oklahoma an avenue to arguably the most talented future tight end in the class.

**So one of the real hot button conversations of the moment is the situation with Denton (Texas) Guyer Rivals100 safety Peyton Bowen.

Much like Coleman, it's wildly dependent on who you talk to.

Notre Dame seems to remain quietly confident but obviously there is concern in a player that continues to take visits elsewhere.

But following this weekend there was more chatter than ever that a decommitment might not just be possible but, in fact, likely.

Those rumors seemed to come more from College Station than perhaps anywhere else which could lead one to easily believe that the Aggies, as has been talked about for a few weeks, may be the one who is most likely to turn Bowen.

However, in talking to a few sources around College Station there's no feeling of certainty and it's pretty clear Oklahoma remains a very real contender in Bowen's pursuit.

More and more there seems to be some external connections that are pulling on him toward Oklahoma - obviously his girlfriend being a big part of that.

Again, there is nothing certain about this situation but for the first time since Jackson Arnold's commitment there is a feeling that a Bowen decommitment is more likely than not.

***This isn't a true recruiting note so much as just something that keeps banging around in my head. I was doing a few radio shows yesterday and I kept coming back tot his common theme.

"I keep saying 'never before (in the Rivals era)'."

Never before has Oklahoma landed a player from Austin Westlake.

Never before has Oklahoma landed a four-star defensive lineman from the state of Florida.

Never before has Oklahoma landed two Rivals100 defensive ends in the same class - even when the Sooners were rolling defensively.

Never before has Oklahoma had a player named Colton nor Vasek...ok, ok, I'm reaching now but you get the point.

I know it bothers some of you I'm not a fan but I admit to being enthusiastic about seeing things done in new and different ways and just the reality that this job can still surprise me. And this staff, time and time again keeps surprising me with their success and the way they are connecting with players just bowls me over.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News