ADVERTISEMENT

With Cody Thomas quitting football, who wins OUs backup QB position?

I think this was a good move on his part. From what I have seen it didn't look like he was ever going to be a starting QB at OU.

who else is there?

Well, we've only got two guys with QB in front of their names...Connor McGuinnis and Reece Clark, other than Baker of course.
In D1 that's just not too good.

All you've but to do is look at TCU and Baylor last season, to a lesser extent, OSU.

At this level you need four. You can skate with three, but man, it will tell on you if you start getting sidelining injuries.
I'm thinking Bob is hitting the antacids pretty hard right now.
I would be if I were him.

Then again if I were him I'd cash out and buy an island.:D

Last edited:
Austin Kendall, true freshman.
Connor McGinnis, redshirt freshman.
Reese Clark, redshirt freshman.
Adrian Hardy, true freshman, listed as a wide receiver, but shows potential on his video of being a dual threat QB.
I would say that at this time, OU has no safety net behind Mayfield....who has had concussion issues.
With ATM quarterback Kyler Murray sitting out the season to boot, OU's depth at its most vital position is non-existent.
My hope is that Kendall (or anyone) can hit the ground running this spring and become a good player right away.

It isn't unusual for high school stars to flame out in college but I'm really dumb founded that Cody wasn't more successful at OU. Some claimed that Thomas could end up being the best QB recruit in the Bob Stoops era. He was 6'5", 220 with great HS stats. Over 4,000 yards passing, 40+ TDs, under 10 INTs, and 65% or such completion percentage. He was obviously athletic and a two sport all stater. Rated a pocket passer by some. Josh recruited him. Could that have something to do with his decision like it could have with Hansen? Going from 4 available QBs to only one in less than a year without any graduating is really unusual. Not good.

I think OU is in a lot of trouble, Mayfield is a concussion away from retiring
While we don't like to think about that, I must admit, I have been. Seeing it in your comment, Brentwood, just adds Reality to it...Trevor may have gotten in a hurry, and we may be wishing for him...

What is the Protocol on Concussions? Three Strikes, and you're out?

If he was my kid, I would be very concerned and would pull him out if he has one more episode regardless of the severity. Parents should be involved at this point.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
If he was my kid, I would be very concerned and would pull him out if he has one more episode regardless of the severity. Parents should be involved at this point.
Ya I would really hate to see Baker's career end like David Ash's career did at Texas. But you have to do what's best for your long term health, even though in your early 20s you tend to think you are bullet proof and indestructible. Definitely scary that Baker had a couple of concussion episodes in one season.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Ya I would really hate to see Baker's career end like David Ash's career did at Texas. But you have to do what's best for your long term health, even though in your early 20s you tend to think you are bullet proof and indestructible. Definitely scary that Baker had a couple of concussion episodes in one season.
That we KNOW about...

Reactions: iasooner1
It isn't unusual for high school stars to flame out in college but I'm really dumb founded that Cody wasn't more successful at OU. Some claimed that Thomas could end up being the best QB recruit in the Bob Stoops era. He was 6'5", 220 with great HS stats. Over 4,000 yards passing, 40+ TDs, under 10 INTs, and 65% or such completion percentage. He was obviously athletic and a two sport all stater. Rated a pocket passer by some. Josh recruited him. Could that have something to do with his decision like it could have with Hansen? Going from 4 available QBs to only one in less than a year without any graduating is really unusual. Not good.
Thomas had trouble completing basic passes. I doubt he would have seen the field much so concentrating on baseball was a smart decision.

He missed a few games at TT too. I wonder what the injury was? Hopefully not a head injury. It will be really difficult for Baker to purposely avoid contact. It would be so unnatural for him. It will surely take away some of his effectiveness as well as some of the team's enthusiasm that he provides with his tough play. Really sucks.

Thomas had trouble completing basic passes. I doubt he would have seen the field much so concentrating on baseball was a smart decision.

Exactly, which makes it so baffling. Baker's year at TT may have given him more of an advantage than we know. I think Thomas and the other QBs just couldn't learn Riley's system in such a short time. I bet that the new true freshman coming in had a lot to do with Cody's decision.

One of which appeared intentional (wasn't the TCU player tossed out of the game?). Was he the same guy who knocked out Baylor's QB?

One of which appeared intentional (wasn't the TCU player tossed out of the game?). Was he the same guy who knocked out Baylor's QB?
Do not be surprised if Stoops and his staff find a QB somewhere. If a JUCO comes on board, it will be apparent that Kendall or either of the two walk-ons are not regarded as backup options at this time by the staff.
If you were Mayfield's parents, how do you think you would feel about your son's welfare ?
If you're Bob Stoops, do you tell Mayfield to tone down his scrambling....thereby taking away his main weapon ?
Some defensive players, knowing that OU has no safety net behind Mayfield, might be intent on being extra physical when tackling him.
I think OU has some work to do........right now.

While we don't like to think about that, I must admit, I have been. Seeing it in your comment, Brentwood, just adds Reality to it...Trevor may have gotten in a hurry, and we may be wishing for him...

What is the Protocol on Concussions? Three Strikes, and you're out?

Yep, pretty serious bizness.
As I understand it, first concussion, OK, be careful.
Second concussion? The effects are 10 times what the first one was.
Third?

Better get your grades up, you're now an academe for the duration.
I'm not popping slick about this, but it's the flavor of the month with retired NFL guys and that damn movie.:(

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Did he receive a baseball scholarship? I assume the football one is gone. If so, he'll be paying a lot more for his schooling. Just curious, I haven't seen this answered on any sites I visit.

Also, it was not ruled out that Cody may return to the FB team in the fall. He was just suspending his career to concentrate on baseball and will miss spring practice.

Yep, pretty serious bizness.
As I understand it, first concussion, OK, be careful.
Second concussion? The effects are 10 times what the first one was.
Third?
Better get your grades up, you're now an academe for the duration.
I'm not popping slick about this, but it's the flavor of the month with retired NFL guys and that damn movie.:(
Baker may have gotten by with flying under the radar, in the past, but now, he's Front Row, Center Stage...He's under the 'scope, and the entire Sooner Nation's Eyes are on him, every play. Even if you've never seen a person who is concussed, you recognize it right away, from his glassy eyed stare. No 'Fake it, 'til you can make it' for Mr. M...

Baker may have gotten by with flying under the radar, in the past, but now, he's Front Row, Center Stage...He's under the 'scope, and the entire Sooner Nation's Eyes are on him, every play. Even if you've never seen a person who is concussed, you recognize it right away, from his glassy eyed stare. No 'Fake it, 'til you can make it' for Mr. M...
Sucks that Trevor transferred too. Must be Huepels fault.

I know wnas has me on ignore, but I thank God every night Heupel was fired. Only an idiot would be happy with our production and performances during his time. Long live Lincoln Riley

Reactions: BillyRay
Can Trevor come back???

No, he's already enrolled at A&M and will fight for a starting job. Justice Hansen has committed to Arkansas State. They both want to start. I would find it strange we could get a quality Q-B that could come in this year that would sit on the bench. We'll live with the current crop IMO..

I know wnas has me on ignore, but I thank God every night Heupel was fired. Only an idiot would be happy with our production and performances during his time. Long live Lincoln Riley

Only an idiot would be happy with production like this?

Despite three different QBs seeing action over the course of the 2013 season, the Sooners registered an 11-2 campaign culminating with a 45-31 win over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

With Heupel calling the signals of a balanced OU offensive attack in 2013, the Sooners led the Big 12 by averaging 223.9 rushing ypg, the best output by Oklahoma since 1991. OU averaged 423.0 ypg of total offense in 2013, marking the seventh straight year the Sooners topped the 400-yard barrier.

Heupel navigated between QBs Trevor Knight and Blake Bell, who both came up big for the squad in 2013. Bell guided OU to road wins at Notre Dame (9/28/13) and at Oklahoma State (12/7/13), while Knight earned MVP honors in the Sugar Bowl, throwing for 348 yards, while tying a Sugar Bowl record with four TD passes.

Oklahoma finished the 2013 campaign with a +9 turnover differential and was +72 in points off turnovers in 2013, while also leading the Big 12 in time of possession (32:18).

OU ranked fifth in the nation in passing (336.5 ypg) and 12th in total offense (497.9 ypg) in 2012 as Landry Jones became the Big 12’s all-time leader in passing yards and total offense.

In 2011, his OU unit finished fourth nationally in both total offense (512.3 ypg) and passing offense (349.4 ypg). Jones ranked third in the nation in total offense in 2011 after finishing second in the nation in passing yards in 2010 when he won the Sammy Baugh Award. Jones led all FBS freshman with 26 TDs after Sam Bradford was lost to injury in the 2009 season opener.

Tutored Bradford, who won the Heisman, Davey O’Brien and Sammy Baugh Awards, after throwing for 4,720 yards and 50 TDs with just eight INTs in 2008. Bradford led the nation in passing efficiency. He presided over the highest scoring offense ever and an NCAA-record string of five straight 60-point games.

In 2007, Bradford led the nation in passing efficiency (176.5) and set NCAA freshman record with 36 TD passes. He made four All-America freshman teams and was a finalist for the Manning Award.

Coached Paul Thompson, who, after finding out one day before fall camp that he would play QB, piloted OU to an 11-3 mark in 2006.

Founded The 14 Foundation, a non-profit organization that serves underprivileged children throughout Oklahoma.

Thank God Bob Stoops is an idiot. Remind me again how well Savior Riley did against Texas? Iowa State beat Texas. How did that Clemson game work out? 5 runs by Perine in the first drive and touchdown. Only 5 more Perine runs for the rest of the freaking half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT