ADVERTISEMENT

Will Mike Stoops become any wiser?

I wonder what that job pays? Taggert got $750k as the head guy. But whatever Mike gets will be big compared to what Nicky was paying him as an analyst. Big drop from OU days though. Too bad the Texas job didn’t pan out for him.

Reactions: iasooner1
Unless he finally figured it out, It All Starts Up front. Then no.

He and Bob, are back 7 guys. Venables is a front 7 guy.

Reactions: newnasty
Forget whether he is a back or front guy, he needs to learn to keep his rage under control and his mouth in check. He shit in his mess kit in Tucson. He was at odds with the admin at U of A almost from Day One.
I'm glad Mike Stoops is gone from OU for good.
His time at OU should be forgetable, just as Blake's time should be.
I look to better days for this team.

It blows my mind that some had fits on this board ewhen he & Heupel were fired.

Reactions: Oklabama
I'm glad Mike Stoops is gone from OU for good.
His time at OU should be forgetable, just as Blake's time should be.
I look to better days for this team.
I don't recall Blake ever being a major contributor to a national championship

Blake’s recruits were never well coached or developed and I don’t credit him for anything.
Without some of Blake's recruits OU ain't winning the MNC. The lack of coaching was underscored how quickly BS turned it around and won big. Dismissing the Blake-recruited players as not having an impact on winning the MNC is wrong.

Nobody is dismissing the players.
That's all I'm saying. Blake got some valuable players for the championship team to Norman. There is some level of credit there I think. That was a magical year and every player served a special role. Maybe one of my favorites because of the Hunt for Red October and the unexpected championship...I miss it, hopefully we are right around the corner from another 👍

Without some of Blake's recruits OU ain't winning the MNC. The lack of coaching was underscored how quickly BS turned it around and won big. Dismissing the Blake-recruited players as not having an impact on winning the MNC is wrong.
I think the OU brand name had as much to do with Blake’s recruits coming to the program.
I’ve never “dismissed” the players that entered the program. I always believed OU had enough talent to at least win 6 games under Blake.
All Stoops did was add Heupel, Griffin,Savage, Smith, Fagan among others. There would not have been a national champion without these players either.

I think the OU brand name had as much to do with Blake’s recruits coming to the program.
I’ve never “dismissed” the players that entered the program. I always believed OU had enough talent to at least win 6 games under Blake.
All Stoops did was add Heupel, Griffin,Savage, Smith, Fagan among others. There would not have been a national champion without these players either.
Agreed. Let us not forget Marshall at LB (I think he was a Stoops recruit)?

Reactions: runningback43
Blake could recruit but he sucked at practice and OTA. His starting QB weighed close to 260lbs. Superman was hovering around 250lbs. Everyone was grossly out of shape

I can't to this day understand the argument "he won with the previous coaches recruits" Just silly thinking. Smh. Owen, Wilkinson, Switzer and Stoops sustained long careers as successful recruiters as well as master coaches of the game. Bama has the handle on the inner workings of the NCAA right now but, I think Joe can figure it out.

Last edited:
Blake could recruit but he sucked at practice and OTA. His starting QB weighed close to 260lbs. Superman was hovering around 250lbs. Everyone was grossly out of shape
Who was the quarterback weighing "close to 260 lbs" ?
Fuente weighed 230 lbs his last season at OU before transferring to Murray State after the 1997 season.
Otherwise, I have never seen a quarterback who was overweight or over 230 lbs.

Did Blake's recruits not have a substantial impact on OU's championship?

No, Blake didn't have an impact on OU's 2000, NC. Bob and his coaches turned the whole program and won with the kids he inherited. While Blake had brought some really good talent, there was no way that Blake would have had a winning record in Bob's first year in 1999. The kids Bob started with had to be totally rebuilt to play the game.

Bob inherited a team with no QBs and no real RBs. There were lots of freshmen and sophomores on the 2000 team that Bob brought in with his first recruiting class. Blake threw all the 1998 recruiting class paperwork and left Bob and his coaches to re-build the whole class and do it in a short class.

No, Blake didn't have an impact on OU's 2000, NC. Bob and his coaches turned the whole program and won with the kids he inherited. While Blake had brought some really good talent, there was no way that Blake would have had a winning record in Bob's first year in 1999. The kids Bob started with had to be totally rebuilt to play the game.

Bob inherited a team with no QBs and no real RBs. There were lots of freshmen and sophomores on the 2000 team that Bob brought in with his first recruiting class. Blake threw all the 1998 recruiting class paperwork and left Bob and his coaches to re-build the whole class and do it in a short class.

In a nutshell. Great post brother.

The whole purpose of the Mike Leach offense was to allow subpar athletes to compete and put points on the board. I'd agree that 7-5 was probably the best record getting squeezed out of that 1999 roster.

OU coulda/shoulda finished 8-4, but we let a 5-7 Notre Dame team come back and beat us. If Bob had won that game he would have become royalty a year earlier.....with me.

OU coulda/shoulda finished 8-4, but we let a 5-7 Notre Dame team come back and beat us. If Bob had won that game he would have become royalty a year earlier.....with me.
Agree......and there was also blowing a 17-0 first quarter lead vs. Texas, with UT finally winning 38-28.
But even after the season, I felt that Stoops had the program heading in the right direction.....and the national championship a year later came as a very nice surprise.

I have to admit I was still very skeptical of Coach Stoops after the loss at Notre Dame and the loss to Texas.

I have to admit I was still very skeptical of Coach Stoops after the loss at Notre Dame and the loss to Texas.
At least through the 1999 season, Stoops' first year, I'll give him a pass, especially when his defenses played well in the 2-3 years that followed. I started to have my concerns when Kansas State blasted OU in the Big12 CCG.
After the USC 55-19 mauling, OU never had what I would consider a championship defense outside of the 2009 team that had so many injuries, but played defensively well in route to an 8-5 record. That team yielding only 189 points and held a good Texas team to 16 points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT