ADVERTISEMENT

Who Do You Want?

What about Mark Stoops? He seems to be doing pretty good at UK. Basically the Matt Campbell of the SEC.

No thanks. Please let us get away from the Family hires and the hires with ties to Taco Tech. Someone with a lot of fire and energy that is not soft nor afraid if they hurt someones feelings. Someone like Saban but younger. Someone that knows the importantance of having a solid defense. And someone that doesn't cry in public.
In other words someone thats a lot different from Riley.

Reactions: Belldozer1
I'd like to see Bob take a couple years and see if the time off reinvigorated him. Keep Grinch and the defensive staff and see if it was Riley holding him back. Make Bedenbaugh and Gundy Co OCs with Gundy calling plays.
after this years OL performance and the move to the SEC, I'm sure if asked Bedenbaugh will go with Riley

Reactions: Oklabama
It will be interesting to see which of the current coaching staff will be retained, if any. Gundy? I guess it depends who Riley takes with him.

The 1963 Sooners and this year's team seemed to underachieve.

The 1963 team in Bud's final year played uninspired at times, especially in the #1 vs #2 match with Texas, losing 28-7.
The season started with a big win over USC, 17-12, then OU was blasted by Texas 2 weeks later.
Then Looney punched an assistant coach was was kicked off the team. The season went on to tally an 8-2 record as the two losses to Texas and Nebraska were decisive.
So much was expected after the resurgence of 1962, when a team laden with studs (Neely, Grisham, Looney, McCurdy, Rentzel, Flynn, Burton, Ringer, Pannell, Skidgel, etc.) was ranked a preseason favorite to win a championship. Look Magazine had OU playing Navy and Saubach in the Orange Bowl.
I have thought since then that Wilkinson was more focused on politics in his last 2-3 years than maintaining OU's excellence. His recruiting tailed off and by his own admission he did not utilize jet travel to visit recruits. He left Gomer Jones to carry on, but Jones was not head coaching material.....much as Gibbs was when he replaced Switzer.

Riley's 2021 team, in my view, played uninspired (and sloppy) as well and Riley and his staff did not elevate the overall play as the season wore on. The team stagnated.
I felt Riley would jump ship after the season, but USC was a surprise.....until I realized Riley wanted no part of SEC competition and was overwhelmed by USC's resources, especially in recruiting. Plus, he should be successful against the PAC 12's members.
I don't blame Riley for leaving, but the deceitful way he did it was bad. He used LSU as a "Trojan Horse" to get his USC position.
Again, I think this event could eventually be for OU's benefit if it can get a coach who can play big boy football in the SEC. And Riley's exit was something I had hoped would happen before OU entering the SEC.
It won't be easy, but some good coaching candidates are out there to be had.

art briles? asking for a friend
Wouldn't touch Briles with a pole of any length. Don't get the hate for Mark Stoops--just because he's related to Bob? Doesn't make sense because he's proven his value on its own merit regardless of his last name. BTW if there's a younger version of Saban we'd all like to know who it is.

Reactions: TXSUX
Wouldn't touch Briles with a pole of any length. Don't get the hate for Mark Stoops--just because he's related to Bob? Doesn't make sense because he's proven his value on its own merit regardless of his last name. BTW if there's a younger version of Saban we'd all like to know who it is.
It will be awhile before another Saban comes along.

Reactions: TXSUX
I honestly think JC already has a target. However I am not sure I want to see OU hire a current HC and would rather they go after a young cordinator like Lanning at UGA.

Joe Brady would be another guy I would eye since they both have SEC coaching backgrounds. Young cordinators tend to have that fire in the belly to prove themselves.

if I was going to go with a current HC though Fickell would be high on my list as would Aranda. Matt Ruhl would also be on my list.

Reactions: Oklabama
Venables or Aranda. This program needs a dedicated defense guy. One that far exceeds Grinch’s prowess, Then concentrate on a good Off Coordinator and a Assistant Def Coordinator.

Campbell and Fickell’s Magic Slippers will fall off or already have.

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT