ADVERTISEMENT

Who Do You Want?

bcsoonerfan

Sooner starter
Aug 7, 2007
It's a simple question. Not who you think it'll be. But who do you want?

For me it's easy. Come on back Bob. You handed the keys over to an ungrateful little coward because you thought the time was right. You ain't gotta stay another decade but long enough to give the program time to get the right guy this time.

Bob can coach the bowl but I certainly don't want him back as head coach. I've been saying for a while now that you can't trust a thing Riley says about how much he loves it here, etc. Guy is just untrustworthy. Will be interesting to see who we get, but I bet he will be more defense oriented.

Bob can coach the bowl but I certainly don't want him back as head coach. I've been saying for a while now that you can't trust a thing Riley says about how much he loves it here, etc. Guy is just untrustworthy. Will be interesting to see who we get, but I bet he will be more defense oriented.

I'd like to see Bob take a couple years and see if the time off reinvigorated him. Keep Grinch and the defensive staff and see if it was Riley holding him back. Make Bedenbaugh and Gundy Co OCs with Gundy calling plays.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Fickell or Aranda perhaps, maybe the DC at Georgia, Lanning. Will have to do a bit more research on it. I think Aranda has or is about to have a rework of his contract so I guess he is not an option?

As for Bob I bet he will be asked, likely his to turndown if he wants to return or not.
I prefer Bob not come back to take the job.

I'd like to see Bob take a couple years and see if the time off reinvigorated him. Keep Grinch and the defensive staff and see if it was Riley holding him back. Make Bedenbaugh and Gundy Co OCs with Gundy calling plays.
I'm afraid that would remind me too much of Mack Brown coming back into coaching. I personally felt like Bob was declining towards the end so I really feel like he should just remain a fan. Some are saying we are interested in Kingsbury???? Heck no. I remember his defenses at Tech..no thanks.

Fickell or Aranda perhaps, maybe the DC at Georgia, Lanning. Will have to do a bit more research on it. I think Aranda has or is about to have a rework of his contract so I guess he is not an option?

As for Bob I bet he will be asked, likely his to turndown if he wants to return or not.
I prefer Bob not come back to take the job.
I'm thinking Aranda. I love Bob but recruiting is going to take a hit and we need someone who can develop the talent we have until we get some momentum back on the field.

Mark Stoops and Brent Venables would be high on my list. If Mark can make the Wildcats competitive in the SEC--that says a lot. If we got Brent, we'd have a guy who's dynamic, familiar with the territory, and not going back to Kansas State to torment us in the future. He also knows what competing at the highest level is all about.

Grinch will go with Riley.

I think Grinch will end up being a solid HC, he has that it, factor.

Matt Campbell or Chip Kelly.

UCLA notoriously underpays their coaches and will not get in a bidding war. Plus, the football landscape in LA just changed for the worst for UCLA....inherited absolutely nothing out there but where's he's at right now might be the ceiling.

As for Campbell, Ames is the worst place to try to recruit a kid to and although he underperformed this year (but hey, he did beat the pokes) he has pulled off a minor miracle with ISU the last half dozen years. And he pays attention to the D and STs, unlike Riley (we actually massively failed on a fake punt he called to get ISU back in the game this year). I'd say require him to keep the O going, but again, I still can't identify what our offensive identity was this year, so that's a pointless sentiment.

Finally, there's always Venables, but I don't think he's HC material and his son plays for Clemson, etc.

More I think about, I like Campbell. Can't fault Castiglione with whatever he does, he rarely misses regardless of the sport.

Grinch will go with Riley.

I think Grinch will end up being a solid HC, he has that it, factor.
I don't know. How we have yet to develop a solid tackling team is beyond me. I look at Baylor and Stillwater and actually say "wow" compared to our defense. I like Grinch and am sympathetic to what he inherited but at this point I question him a bit.

Whatever we do Lord please don't let us hire an OC and a DC that has been on a Leach staff before. Maybe an OC familiar to Leach but that's about it. The thing about Bob though is he had no issues with stepping on a teams throat, he understood seizing the momentum. I think if he'd have been here the last couple of years with Riley and Grinch things would be different

Reactions: OUSOONER67
If Grinch goes with Riley I just hope Bob doesn't bring in Mike as Interim DC. 🤮
That's what I fear when I hear Mark Stoops name come up. I saw someone even mention Riley's brother. I think it time to end the OU nepotism train and go with the best hire. If that person isn't available this year, have Bob coach for a year if he will and get your guy next year? I hope we don't just hire someone just to hire someone. So someone tell me this, in the last 3 weeks was our offense so discombobulated because of Riley out hobnobbing at USC and not gameplanning or did we just get beat because of incompetence?

That's what I fear when I hear Mark Stoops name come up. I saw someone even mention Riley's brother. I think it time to end the OU nepotism train and go with the best hire. If that person isn't available this year, have Bob coach for a year if he will and get your guy next year? I hope we don't just hire someone just to hire someone. So someone tell me this, in the last 3 weeks was our offense so discombobulated because of Riley out hobnobbing at USC and not gameplanning or did we just get beat because of incompetence?

Riley had been busy shopping at least since the week leading up to the Baylor game maybe longer.
This team seemed to lack focus all season. Maybe Riley was wanting a change of scenery before the season started. May be the reason Rattler went downhill fast. I dunno.

Riley had been busy shopping at least since the week leading up to the Baylor game maybe longer.
This team seemed to lack focus all season. Maybe Riley was wanting a change of scenery before the season started. May be the reason Rattler went downhill fast. I dunno.
I'll do you better, this initial flirtation with USC has been going on much longer; their coach was fired after what the 2nd or 3rd game of the year?

LR's "people" started floating the misdirection of LSU to keep it unknown for the last couple of weeks.

The break in the foundation started when people outside the program starting pushing for CW to replace SR. This easily explains LR's unwillingness to never directly praise CW while always propping up SR.

My main issues are this has been going on for some time while the team and fans have been told how close the team was and how there would be no apologies for winning...even close games.

The day after the team, more specifically the offense pulls a disappearing act in the 2nd half and he says I'm not going to LSU (specifically), he signs on with USC.

And LR felt underappreciated? If true what the fu@k was the $7.8 million a year, his hire of Grinch, etc for? Is that not appreciation?

It does not surprise me LR wants the easy path to the CFP. This is his 5th year, with National Championship aspirations, and he failed miserably. His next NFL 1.1 quarterback prospect flamed out 5 games into the season.

Players playing that had no business on the fieldg, penalties, no accountability, etc. An offensive guru that could not make do with 4/5 star prospects all over the field.

IMO LR was pissed before the QB controversy and he was not focused on OU. He was having his people look around and putting out feelers. In a year of an unprecedented big jobs available he was able to choose his spot. West coast, good recruiting connections, the Pac 12...the easiest path to success.

I've said it before I believe in the 5 year rule for coaches; if they haven't won it most likely they will not. Worse, with LR he was openly soft, choked - never learned (or wanted to learn) how to step on an opponent's throat, and worst of all: he was comfortable.

I am glad he is gone. My only regret is he is not at LSU so OU doesn't have a yearly chance to show him how to step on a throat. I will credit him; his timing is great. The number of big jobs and move to the SEC worked perfectly for him to sneak off to a cush job.

My lovely wife called it right during the texas game: he is a _ _ _ _ _. My only hope is JC has been aware of this for about 10 days (or longer) to start his work. I have faith in him but this will be the biggest, most important hire of his tenure. I would concentrate on Fickell and Aranda.

With BS being the interim coach , I wonder how he feels. I am sure he wants the best for LR, but I wonder if he is understanding of how it did it. Loyalty is a lost attribute. I am thankful for BS but want a clean break from the OC/head coach, Stoops/Venables tree. Time to hire a coach ready for the SEC and one which holds players accountable, and creates a culture if you ain't first you're last.

As for LR, I will keep my personal opinions and hopes for his future to myself. Trying to maintain what little respect I have left. I will say this...there are plenty of great coaches to takeover this GREAT football program. Boomer Fu@#ing Sooner!

Last edited:
It's a simple question. Not who you think it'll be. But who do you want?

For me it's easy. Come on back Bob. You handed the keys over to an ungrateful little coward because you thought the time was right. You ain't gotta stay another decade but long enough to give the program time to get the right guy this time.
I say we hire Mike Gundy snd his entire staff less one offensive spot for Cale. WS

I'll do you better, this initial flirtation with USC has been going on much longer; their coach was fired after what the 2nd or 3rd game of the year?

LR's "people" started floating the misdirection of LSU to keep it unknown for the last couple of weeks.

The break in the foundation started when people outside the program starting pushing for CW to replace SR. This easily explains LR's unwillingness to never directly praise CW while always propping up SR.

My main issues is this has been going on for some time while the team and fans have been told how close the team was and how there would be no apologies for winning...even close games.

The day after the team, specifically the offense pulls a disappearing act in the 2nd half and he says I'm not going to LSU (specifically), he signs on with USC.

And LR felt underappreciated? If true what the fu@k was the $7.8 million a year, his hire of Grinch, etc for? Is that not appreciation?

It does not surprise me LR wants the easy path to the CFP. This is his 5ty year, with National Championship aspirations, and he failed miserably. His next NFL 1.1 quarterback prospect flamed out 5 games into the season.

Players playing that had no business on the field.playing, penalties, no accountability, etc. An offensive guru that could not make do with 4/5 star prospects all over the field.

IMO LR was pissed before the QB controversy and he was not focused on OU. He was having his people look around and putting out feelers. In a year of an unprecedented big jobs available he was able to choose his spot. West coast, good recruiting connections, the Pac 12...the easiest path to success.

I've said it before I believe I'm the 5 year rule for coaches; if they haven't won it most likely they will not. Worse, with LR he was openly soft, choked - never learned (or wanted to learn) how to step on an opponent's throat, and worst of all: he was comfortable.

I am glad he is gone. My only regret is he is not at LSU so OU doesn't have a yearly chance to show him how to step on a throat. I will credit him; his timing is great. The number of big jobs and move to the SEC worked perfectly for him to sneak off to a cush job.

My lovely wife called it right during the texas game: he is a _ _ _ _ _. My only hope is JC has been aware of this for about 10 days (or longer) to start his work. I have faith in him but this will be the biggest, most important hire of his tenure. I would concentrate on Fickell and Aranda.

With BS being the interim coach , I wonder how he feels. I am sure he wants the best for LR, but I wonder if he is understanding of how it did it. Loyalty is a lost attribute. I am thankful for BS but want a clean break from the OC/head coach, Stoops/Venables tree. Time to hire a coach ready for the SEC and one which holds players accountable, and creates a culture if you ain't first you're last.

As for LR, I will keep my personal opinions and hopes for his future to myself. Trying to maintain what little respect I have. I will say this...there are plenty of great coaches to takeover this GREAT football program. Boomer Fu@#ing Sooner!
You need to spell out all them initials ricky bobby. 😁

Multiple fails this season.

Coach Speak

Heisman front runner, maybe #1 draft pick.
The most depth on defense.
The best front 7 in decades.
Talent rich WR, group.
Easily his most complete team
NC, front runner.

Reality

Benched
Musical chairs at DB
Way to much rotation, in the beginning. Finally figured out he has to play starters
Way to many deep routes, never saw any breakouts
Oline never came together, so the running game suffered. Way to high risk on both sides of the ball
Finished 3rd in the BigXII

My main issues are this has been going on for some time while the team and fans have been told how close the team was and how there would be no apologies for winning...even close games.

The day after the team, more specifically the offense pulls a disappearing act in the 2nd half and he says I'm not going to LSU (specifically), he signs on with USC.

It does not surprise me LR wants the easy path to the CFP. This is his 5th year, with National Championship aspirations, and he failed miserably. His next NFL 1.1 quarterback prospect flamed out 5 games into the season.

Players playing that had no business on the fieldg, penalties, no accountability, etc. An offensive guru that could not make do with 4/5 star prospects all over the field.

I've said it before I believe in the 5 year rule for coaches; if they haven't won it most likely they will not. Worse, with LR he was openly soft, choked - never learned (or wanted to learn) how to step on an opponent's throat, and worst of all: he was comfortable.

As for LR, I will keep my personal opinions and hopes for his future to myself. Trying to maintain what little respect I have left. I will say this...there are plenty of great coaches to takeover this GREAT football program. Boomer Fu@#ing Sooner!
Great post that I concur with. Personally I like Aranda from a defense standpoint. Does anyone know anything about what kind of a recruiter he is? Is he even available?

Reactions: soonersoldier

This team was lacking something all season now I think we have our answer it was a leader, our HC's head wasn't in it.

Great post that I concur with. Personally I like Aranda from a defense standpoint. Does anyone know anything about what kind of a recruiter he is? Is he even available?
Bell...if he can do what he is done with Baylor in 2 years, I feel confident he can recruit well. Winning cures all. He has been in the SEC and knows what it takes.

This is where Joe C.'s everyready short list pays off. I imagine he has a thorough file on each candidate and is making calls to confirm and when ready make the call.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Bell...if he can do what he is done with Baylor in 2 years, I feel confident he can recruit well. Winning cures all. He has been in the SEC and knows what it takes.

This is where Joe C.'s everyready short list pays off. I imagine he has a thorough file on each candidate and is making calls to confirm and when ready make the call.
Stay classy LR:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT