ADVERTISEMENT

Which play hurt more?

KCtornado

OU scholarship offer
Jul 18, 2006
Overland Park KS
Sanchez holding penalty before the oskie or Parker's failure to control the fumbled ball in the end zone? Both were game alterers...and cost the Sooners deeply.

I'd say the Sanchez play. The officials confirmed the call of touchdown on the fumble so I don't think it was even ruled a fumble.

Actually, they reported later that it was a fumble and upheld the touchdown because the Texas player recovered the ball in the end zone. I didn't watch a replay, but the way I remember it is that it looked like the referee blew the whistle after Parker's failed recovery and before the UT player picked up the ball. If that was the case, I'm not sure what the correct ruling would have been.

Reactions: Oklabama
How can parker blow recovering the ball? Ridiculous

Because it cost OU 7 points and we lost by 7? The sad thing PJ made No attempt to recover the ball and he was standing right there.

I think it was the sprint draw to D'Onta Foreman for 81 yards. I remember all the trams offering his twin brother and when we offered him they all said we were doing it to get Armante.

By the wasy that sprint draw was straight out of the Kevin Wilson playbook.

Sadly, there are several "big plays" that hurt us. Alex's fumble, Sanchez holding, failing to fall on the fumble (but I dont think the refs would have turned it over anyway) and the 81-yard run was the definitive back-breaker. I think Alvarez's unnecessary roughness penalty when OU scored to make it a one-score game was a huge turning point. We have the momentum after going on a long scoring drive, only to get the penalty and kickoff from our 20, which texass returns to near mid-field and sets them up for a short scoring drive to extend their lead. To me, that took the wind right out of our sails.

They didn't credit Joe with the recovery until after the ruling was upheld that Swoopes scored the TD, so Parker mishandling it was irrelevant.

Despite the Ross fumble and several other plays, Texas still wasn't running away with the game. The sacks made the difference in the ball game as far as I'm concerned.

They didn't credit Joe with the recovery until after the ruling was upheld that Swoopes scored the TD, so Parker mishandling it was irrelevant.

Despite the Ross fumble and several other plays, Texas still wasn't running away with the game. The sacks made the difference in the ball game as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. This one, like the cliche' says, was lost in the trenches. Their ability to stop our run and pressure Baker with blitzes , combined with our inability to stop their running game, was the difference.

It was very relevant. It was fumble recovered by Texas. Had OU covered the ball it have been overturned and OU ball at the 20. Both announcers made that very clear.

I think the RT dropping his right foot back on pass plays tipping off the Texas DLine was one of the biggest differentiators. When announcers start noticing crap like that, you damn sure know everyone else does as well.

Sanchez holding penalty before the oskie or Parker's failure to control the fumbled ball in the end zone? Both were game alterers...and cost the Sooners deeply.

The two toughest plays of the game were the fumbled kickoff and the 80something yard run when they were backed up to their own ten and they got a two on one against Striker who guessed wrong. And then we suddenly looked like an incompetent tackling team as he broke about four to go the length of the field. OUr team looked like they had a pajama party in the hotel the night before.

Reactions: iasooner1
Actually, they reported later that it was a fumble and upheld the touchdown because the Texas player recovered the ball in the end zone. I didn't watch a replay, but the way I remember it is that it looked like the referee blew the whistle after Parker's failed recovery and before the UT player picked up the ball. If that was the case, I'm not sure what the correct ruling would have been.

If a fumble is ruled after the original call is a non fumble, then the recovery can only count if it happens by the defense, immediately. Otherwise, the original no fumble call would stand. According to rules, anyway.

nail, they ruled that Swoopes crossed the plain on initial review. Only later did they credit Joe with the TD. Had Parker snagged it, they still credit Swoopes with the TD. They're not gonna take a TD away multiple series later.

Reactions: Schoonerman
nail, they ruled that Swoopes crossed the plain on initial review. Only later did they credit Joe with the TD. Had Parker snagged it, they still credit Swoopes with the TD. They're not gonna take a TD away multiple series later.

Honestly, I didn't see enough evidence to overturn the initial call, but maybe the replay officials saw something I didn't..... wouldn't be the first time. I think the play will be reviewed by the league office after the coaches watch the film. I still think Parker didn't go after the ball after it got away from him because the ref blew the whistle. According to the announcers, the replay guys ruled it a fumble immediately; they just didn't get the full explanation to the field-they ref just got the TD stands msg. Had Parker recovered the ball, it would have been OUr ball on the 20.

Should have never been ruled a fumble in the first place. There was not video evidence to overturn that call one way or another. Figured however it was called on the field would stand. Refs in the Big 12 must be the most inconsistent refs in any league I have ever seen. Waiting for replay to make a ruling is a total crap shoot. Announcers, myself can all be thinking it's one way and then it goes the other. Even to what gets reviewed. Total crap shoot and the conference deserves better.

As a Texas fan, yea, I thought we got totally hosed against OSU, but then we owed them from the Bergeron fumble a few years earlier. Like I said, totally inconsistent. I was pleased to see the penalties down for this game and to let the players decide it on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT