ADVERTISEMENT

What to expect from the game tonight ?

BV needs to fire Roof, this defense is awful. If he cant do that then he isnt head coach material.

Are there still any good QB's, HC's, Off Coor's Def Coor's, wide rec's, O linemen, D linemen etc in the portal?
BV must be one hell of a saleman to get the recruits he got. If he doesnt get this shit straight on D then maybe OU needs to look elsewhere. 25-0 over last 15:02 seconds

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Arnold has gotten very little help from the line or the receivers.

Not putting much stock in this game but I think it'll fuel a fire in some of these guys. However, the defense still has serious problems covering the pass and look absolutely lost in zone coverage.

GCfk7K2W8AAHHtP

My way to early prediction, OU will lead the SEC in holding penalties. This was an SEC crew tonight, there was no love for the new guy.

Well you can't win too many games with a negative 5 differential on turnovers.

What surprised me tonight was the offense in the 3rd quarter... OU chose to not run the ball when they really could have. Maybe the coaches were just using this game as a real world scrimmage to prep Jackson for next year...

No big deal, just a bowl game... But a really ugly bowl game at that...

Arnold isnt as advertised, he's good but not elite.
Really? I think he looks great, but I respect your opinion because you obviously know way more about football than me.

I think the team just decided to have the dropskies tonight.

These team meltdowns are getting tiresome. Seems like we're always good for an end of year embarrassment these days.

Arnold seems legit to me though.

Really? I think he looks great, but I respect your opinion because you obviously know way more about football than me.

I think the team just decided to have the dropskies tonight.

These team meltdowns are getting tiresome. Seems like we're always good for an end of year embarrassment these days.

Arnold seems legit to me though.
I'm sure he will be good and he may even be elite. I wasnt at the game and couldnt see what the routes that were being ran, so not sure if he missed guys or not. It could also be the playcalling, Littrell may not have helped him by having him throw 45 times. Over 200 yards rushing, probably should have been closer to 300, Littrell should have ran more in the 3rd quarter.

My god some
My god some of you are ridiculous.
Not really, lashing out is just a way of getting the frustration off our chest. I have done my share of it over many years. The good thing is at least its nothing compared to the lashing out in the 90s.

Our fanbase is spoiled and many of us have been following since the 60s so we have seen the good and bad. However its been a long time since we can rely on the defense against quality offenses to be consistant. This was a total team meltdown tonight that had highs and lows. Just so happen the lows dominated the final 15:02 of this game

Farooqs 2 fumbles really hurt. Both in the redzone, and both resulted in points for Arizona. 95 yard drive and a 90 yard fumble return. If we were able to points on the boards there, it may not have been close. Guess now we will wait and see who all enters the portal as I am sure we will lose a few more.

What I watched tonight was ridiculous. Seen it a lot over the last 5 yrs and it has gotten old.
Elite programs don't play garbage football like that. BV says be the Standard well I aint buying what he is selling if thats the standard.
He also talks about accountability, who will be held accountable tonight? What about those 2 wasted timeouts and not running the ball with a 14 frickin point lead?
I could bite a 12 penny nail into.
People aren't being ridiculous we are just reacting to the ridiculous crap we witnessed yet again tonight 😡

I'm sure he will be good and he may even be elite. I wasnt at the game and couldnt see what the routes that were being ran, so not sure if he missed guys or not. It could also be the playcalling, Littrell may not have helped him by having him throw 45 times. Over 200 yards rushing, probably should have been closer to 300, Littrell should have ran more in the 3rd quarter.
I just thought his passes were on point. He has a strong arm, and he has some wheels to get out of situations. That's what I saw, but I admittedly don't know anything about football. I just know how to watch and complain. 🤪

Always a fan of your perspective, BTW. Please don't take it like I'm arguing with you.

While I'm on it too, one of my favorite John Madden quotes was something like this... And I'm obviously paraphrasing, "if you can get your damn finger on the ball, catch it, and hang on to it. You've only got one damn job."

6 turnovers was pretty ridiculous

Arnold isnt as advertised, he's good but not elite.
Yeah, I say we should shit can him and find a real QB. NO WAY. I'm looking forward to seeing Arnold play ( for Oklahoma). If he leaves, would that make a lot of people happy? That's crazy. He played in one crappy bowl game and the play calling sucked. They started the game throwing the ball, every down, until the first interception. Never gave him a chance to hand the ball off. That's how they did their true freshman QB playing in his first game. His family probably thinks he deserves better.

Reactions: coeSooner81
Never said get rid of him, and you're right the playcalling didn't help any. Didn't see Barnes, or Hicks in the game, Sawchuck didn't look 100% and Walker didn't play enough. Should have leaned on those backs more when we had the lead. A good running game helps a young QB. Most were expecting JFA, we got just JA, he is a good QB and may turn out to be an elite QB, last night he was not elite. Those saying he's just a freshman, yes, he is, but they had almost a month to get ready for this game. Williams was a freshman when he came off the bench to lead a come from behind victory of Texas. Even with his 4 turnovers OU should have won. Farooq's costly mistakes both in the redzone is what really hurt. Both of those fumbles turned into 90+ yard touchdowns, thats a 20-28 point swing. What we really need to be talking about is those 4/5 star DB's that cant cover anyone.

The Oline didn't help but Arnold needs time to mature, he has the skill set. He seems to be at his best after he runs for some yardage, it's his way of getting a feel for the game. He's throwing into way to tight of windows at this stage and not getting his eyes wide. Wide eyes are seeing the defenders outside of one on one matchups, the opposite of tunnel vision. Hopefully the game slows down for him.

Sloppy play way to often but they showed glimpses of very solid football. We need some better guys on the line and the route running is average at best. The dB's are not getting the zone schemes and the LBs lost gap control way to many times. The running game is only as good as the blocking and these guys are not maulers.

The Oline didn't help but Arnold needs time to mature, he has the skill set. He seems to be at his best after he runs for some yardage, it's his way of getting a feel for the game. He's throwing into way to tight of windows at this stage and not getting his eyes wide. Wide eyes are seeing the defenders outside of one on one matchups, the opposite of tunnel vision. Hopefully the game slows down for him.

Sloppy play way to often but they showed glimpses of very solid football. We need some better guys on the line and the route running is average at best. The dB's are not getting the zone schemes and the LBs lost gap control way to many times. The running game is only as good as the blocking and these guys are not maulers.
We were getting 6 yard a carry. Sawchuck, Walker, Barnes, and Hicks originally should have been used more. Oline blocked well enough for 200 yards on the ground.

We were getting 6 yard a carry. Sawchuck, Walker, Barnes, and Hicks originally should have been used more. Oline blocked well enough for 200 yards on the ground.

The one play for over 60 yards helped Sawchuck average, not seeing the maulers when it's 3rd and short.

Reactions: Jax0221
Serviceable o'line, Bedenbaugh is good at what he does.

Why OUr defensive backfield can't bring it, why?

Pressure from the d front? Why?

Where did the running game go? And why?

Now I understand we have new OCs, but it seems the play calling hasn't changed much. Why?

Jackson can place the ball anywhere he wants on the field in any situation. Kid is smart and strong imo. Future star my sooner brethren. He'll be playing sundays.

The 11th commandment "thou shalt not turn thy ball over". My reason for the loss.

BV and company will sharpen their pencils. I ain't throwing in the towel. '24 things will be different even with the sec transition.

I'm telling you, witnessed with mine own eyes, Jackson is the real deal.

Now the season is over I think despite what happened last night, the season was a success. Considering what and how they finished last season. OU did beat Texas which was the highlight of the season and then the lows against KU, OSU and most recently Arizona. 10-3 though is much better than 6-7.

Unfortunately JA didn't have the CW debut but I do believe he showed flashes of what he is capable of as the future starter for OU. I am probably of different opinion than others as I think Seth and Joe Jon will be fine as OC and last nights game game plan was more in line with what OU has been doing for most of the season. I am pretty sure nobody feels worse about the performance in the game than JA.

Going forward though I have a bigger issue with the defensive secondary and the inabitlty it seems for the D as a whole to put together a full 4 quarter game against the better quality opponents. It is a defense that always seems to take a quarter or two off each game.

Even a bigger issue these days is players basically quitting on the teams before the season is over with by putting themselves in the portal. I think DG regardless of rather or not he was told that OU would move on to JA next year he should have still finished the season out. Same with those OL who or anyone across CFB should have done. In the end I don't know how any coach in CFB will be able to build a team that will play together for 2-4 years together and players opting out of these bowls to transfer to another school are the perfect example of it.

Just my opinion of course, but the NIL and Portal is ruining CFB for fans like me.

Now the season is over I think despite what happened last night, the season was a success. Considering what and how they finished last season. OU did beat Texas which was the highlight of the season and then the lows against KU, OSU and most recently Arizona. 10-3 though is much better than 6-7.

Unfortunately JA didn't have the CW debut but I do believe he showed flashes of what he is capable of as the future starter for OU. I am probably of different opinion than others as I think Seth and Joe Jon will be fine as OC and last nights game game plan was more in line with what OU has been doing for most of the season. I am pretty sure nobody feels worse about the performance in the game than JA.

Going forward though I have a bigger issue with the defensive secondary and the inabitlty it seems for the D as a whole to put together a full 4 quarter game against the better quality opponents. It is a defense that always seems to take a quarter or two off each game.

Even a bigger issue these days is players basically quitting on the teams before the season is over with by putting themselves in the portal. I think DG regardless of rather or not he was told that OU would move on to JA next year he should have still finished the season out. Same with those OL who or anyone across CFB should have done. In the end I don't know how any coach in CFB will be able to build a team that will play together for 2-4 years together and players opting out of these bowls to transfer to another school are the perfect example of it.

Just my opinion of course, but the NIL and Portal is ruining CFB for fans like me.
We've got players with natural ability and "instincts" in OUr secondary right now. Best athletes on the field for any game. That's the confusing part for me. Loosen the noose Brent! Magic will follow.

Last edited:
Clearer heads bring more clarity to what I thought back in August in the Season Prediction Thread before the Season started. Interesting thread to look back on everyones predictions.

My Cake and Ice Cream Prediction. Keeping mine simple, just a season record prediction. 10-2, with a Bowl Win to make it 11-2
Old habits die hard and one of those losses will be to someone we should have beaten.

My glass half empty prediction.
10-3 Same as above but with a Bowl Loss.

What ya got? Go!

Before I put any money down. Where do we land next season? I trust your instincts.
Way too early for that, right now I haven't a clue as the team we saw last night will not be the team that kicks off the 2024 Season. That and not knowing what the teams on our schedule will look like by then, transfers, players that graduated or went pro. Too many variables at this point.

My bad that prediction thread was from 2022.

I picked 9-3 this season. Been a long week.

I will go with 9-3

Arkansas State should be an easy win but who knows right now. They went to the Shoe last season and were only down 24-9 at the half before being blown out in the 3rd qtr.
They went 3-9 Last season and won one Conference Game to finish 1-7.

Hopefully we start fast and score in bunches so the starters can sit and some young guys get some playing time.
Prediction OU 42 Ark St. 14

Info on Arkie State.
https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn/arkansas-state-red-wolves-college-football-preview-2023

I'm gonna call it now. I want that "outlaw" secondary we've sorely missed. Ain't nothin complicated for physical ball hawks. We've the goods backfield, turn em loose. Will turn OUr whole game around. Especially in the sec.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Williams was a freshman when he came off the bench to lead a come from behind victory of Texas.

What’s even more remarkable about William’s performance is not only was he a true freshman, he didn’t even play his senior year in high school due to the COVID pandemic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT