ADVERTISEMENT

What is the story behind Caleb Kelly?

Bryan Mead, a walk-on, went in when Bolton was hurt rather than a 5 star with lots of experience. I'm hearing rumors he has put himself in Lincoln's doghouse. Talks of redshirt??? Talks of him transferring??? Who knows anything about this?

I heard a radio report in the DFW area that OU coaches felt like he had regressed and was not progressing to the point he should be at given his experience.

I know I watched him a great deal when at the UCLA game and he was consistently overrunning the gap and was out of position.

Reactions: iasooner1
Caleb seemed to outrun plays or get run over freight train style. Quite a bit undersized...maybe should have been moved to safety vs staying as a LB. Not sure why someone would back slide when he had full reign to become a solid starter.

Sometimes things just don't pan out. Not gonna speculate as it could be a myriad of things that we will never know about.
Maybe Football is not high up on his priority list, I know when I was his age I pretty much had only one thing on my mind and it wasn't football.:D
Hope everything works out for him though.

I think it's to early to close the door on Kelly. He did switch positions in the off season. Most reports out of camp were about his leadership. Bolton is playing pretty damn good and Draper has already used his RS. Might as well RS Caleb if they're comfortable with Drapers as the back up.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
Storm Kelly is huge as far as muscle mass goes and goes for 230 plus. Not sure why you think he is quite a bit undersized lol. I personally just don't think he gets it and has relied too much on his athletic ability only. Bolton is half the athlete but just has that IT factor. Dude has waited his turn and is making the most of it

Reactions: CTOkie
Redshirting Kelly may be a good idea in the coaches' minds, but Kelly's ego may override that idea and prompt him to transfer. Either way, OU's program will survive.

I guess my opinion would be based on way he plays...like an undersized LB. Hope he gets coached up better and sticks with OU. His positioning and tackling both need work.

I thought last year and thought he was undersized. I saw him about 2 months ago and was shocked at how big he looks now.

He doesn't seem to have that natural feel for the game.

I think it's to early to close the door on Kelly. He did switch positions in the off season. Most reports out of camp were about his leadership. Bolton is playing pretty damn good and Draper has already used his RS. Might as well RS Caleb if they're comfortable with Drapers as the back up.
They have yet to play Draper, which is another concern since he didn’t see any action against UCLA or FAU

They have yet to play Draper, which is another concern since he didn’t see any action against UCLA or FAU
's

He's seen limited action. I think Bolton and Jones as a hybrid S/LB and Murray playing so well, that's what has kept Draper, on the sidelines. Jones is faster and better in passing downs and Murray is just better. I've had high hopes for Draper and everything I've heard has been positive.

I always have liked Kelly and was surprised he hasn't seen the field much this season. He had 56 tackles last year, so I was hoping he'd be more productive with the position change, so far that hasn't happened.

I am not ready to call him a bust just yet because I think he can still make a big contribution to the D, but it may simply come down to the fact that he was overrated coming in and other guys who may have been lower rated have performed better.

If he red shirts and comes back next year, that would be outstanding. However, my concern is that we might lose him at the end of the season if he red shirts, gets frustrated and transfers. The only senior LB on the roster is Bolton. Everyone else is sophomore or lower, except for Kelly.

With or without Kelly, the defense will give up too many points and too many big plays. It's a Mike Stoops "creation".
So give the young linebackers (Bonitto, Draper, Jones, Terry, Mead, DeGrate, Asamoah and White) playing time and see what happens, and hope that Murray and Bolton get better.
Offer Kelly a redshirt season to take it or leave it.

Perhaps I just don't understand the option of giving him red shirt. The coaches must think he has something to give them in the near future or they wouldn't offer it. They'd allow him to be passed up on the depth chart and use him as a back up player. To me it goes to show us how under manned we were at LB and most likely still are. They recruited a 5 star player, put him in a starting position they desperately needed filled. Move him around, Coach him up by a position coach that hasn't shown us anything since he arrived, and when said 5 star recruit fails, two years later discuss a Red Shirt openly. What a spectacle we have on the defensive side of the ball.

He's probably just pissed that his own dad came to one of his games wearing UCLA gear. He closed up to get back at his father.

Not panning out in football isn't the end of the world.

1.1M high school football players
11,050 D1 football scholarships (85 x 130 teams)... 1% of high school players
1696 NFL players (53 x 32 teams)... 15% of D1 college players if you assume the average NFL career is also 4 years.. It's actually 3.3 years. It's probably a wash, because the average college career is probably less than 4 years with the number of pro athletes leaving after their junior season.

So 1.5 in 1000 high school players will make it to the NFL.

Looking at some NFL rosters, about 25% or 15 players on average are only making the league minimum around $500,000. Take a 3.3 year career average, and you're only talking $1.5-2.0M career. You can't retire with that kind of money unless you're a hermit, but most of these guys end up flossing.

The next 20 players up are in the $600k - $1M range. That's $2M - $3.5M career earnings. Ok, that's enough for a modest, middle-class living for the rest of your life. We've now accounted for more than 2/3 of NFL players.

Only about 10 players per roster make $2M+ per year. Now you're finally in that $10M+ career earnings category which would make you officially "rich." That's only 20% of NFL players.

Think about that kind of grind and work necessary just to make it to the NFL and then the reality that you're just making enough to get you started on life - not set for life.

Not panning out in football (becoming set for life) is not a realistic expectation for anyone including ultra-talented recruits.

I think Olinemen and LB are the easiest to miss evaluate. Most, HS LB play around 200lbs to 215lbs. It's hard to gauge, what they will play like at 225lbs to 250lbs. Kelley came into Norman, closer to 6'3 and 210-215lbs. I know last year when I saw him out of uniform, he was 215-220 lbs tops. I saw him a few months ago and he now looks the part, 230lbs+. He was never that good in coverage and gap integrity has been an issue. I think he's most likely lost some speed, due to his size and not staying fundamentally sound, has cause his regression.

The same with Olinemen. Most 280lbs and up go up against, guys 20 to 50lbs lighter. Sure they look dominate and can hide bad technique, bad hands and footwork. I think we should always recruit 4 OT and one C/G.Take a slow OT and make him a guard.

The same with Olinemen. Most 280lbs and up go up against, guys 20 to 50lbs lighter. Sure they look dominate and can hide bad technique, bad hands and footwork. I think we should always recruit 4 OT and one C/G.Take a slow OT and make him a guard.

Aren't OTs commonly too tall to be proper Guards?

Aren't OTs commonly too tall to be proper Guards?

Just look at our best Oline in the last 20 years. The Loadholt and Robinson years, I think we averaged 6'5 and 325lbs. In college, I'll take a slow OT and make him a guard any and every day. Look at the best O lines in CF and most have at least one 6'5 or 6'6 guard. Center is the only position that still seems best at 6'1-6'4.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Actually I thought last year's offensive line was better than the one with Loadholt and Robinson. With as much as we pull our guards and tackles in the counter RPO, we need athletic linemen that can move.

Actually I thought last year's offensive line was better than the one with Loadholt and Robinson. With as much as we pull our guards and tackles in the counter RPO, we need athletic linemen that can move.

A slow OT can pull as long as the center is sound. Let me put this another way. An average guard can only play one position. An average Tackle can play both OT and OG.

I'm always in the camp recruit 4 OT and 1 C/G. A slow or average Tackle can usually play guard better then an average or slow guard.

Perhaps I just don't understand the option of giving him red shirt. The coaches must think he has something to give them in the near future or they wouldn't offer it. They'd allow him to be passed up on the depth chart and use him as a back up player. To me it goes to show us how under manned we were at LB and most likely still are. They recruited a 5 star player, put him in a starting position they desperately needed filled. Move him around, Coach him up by a position coach that hasn't shown us anything since he arrived, and when said 5 star recruit fails, two years later discuss a Red Shirt openly. What a spectacle we have on the defensive side of the ball.

I’ve been thinking the same way, WNAS. Your last sentence should be on the back of Mike’s game day shirt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT