ADVERTISEMENT

What is the most important thing that a successful QB must have?

I'm going with accuracy of throwing the football.
I'll go with composure.
It's apparent to me that any QB on a Division 1 team or an NFL team has some degree of passing ability, good foot work, a strong throwing arm, an ability to read defenses, etc.....but without composure, none of the other items matter. Case in point: Josh Heupel in 2000 and James Street of Texas in 1969. Neither had the ceiling of a Peyton Manning or John Elway, and they played in different eras with much different offenses, but they were calm in the face of pressure and simply did what they had to do to win.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I'll go with composure.
It's apparent to me that any QB on a Division 1 team or an NFL team has some degree of passing ability, good foot work, a strong throwing arm, an ability to read defenses, etc.....but without composure, none of the other items matter. Case in point: Josh Heupel in 2000 and James Street of Texas in 1969. Neither had the ceiling of a Peyton Manning or John Elway, and they played in different eras with much different offenses, but they were calm in the face of pressure and simply did what they had to do to win.

I couldn't agree more. Just don't make big mistakes, be patient and be smart about what you do. It is exciting to see a QB running around making plays on his own, but someone who plays smart and plays with a team mentality makes for a good QB.

There isn't just one thing that makes a great QB. It takes accuracy, brains, the ability to see the field and read defenses, patience and the ability to move in the pocket. I don't list things like mechanics as they go along with the ability to accurately throw the ball etc and they are things that can be taught by a good coach.

Johnny Unitas said (in the days when NFL quarterbacks called their own plays) that you couldn't be a pro quarterback until you'd told the coach to go to hell, at least once. There was an apparently true story about Unitas when Don Shula was a very young NFL coach. Shula got the Colt HC job when he was 33. Unitas was three years younger. Early in the first season, Shula sent in some running play and Unitas, who'd been the leader of the team for seven years, called what he wanted. I honestly can't remember whether it worked or not. I think it was a successful play. And Unitas came off the field and Shula shook his hand and told him to never do that again. And Unitas told Shula he'd better not ever do what Don had done, again.

It is very seldom at the elite college or certainly pro level, where players are always on an identical page with the staff. There better be a lot of trust if you're going to be good. But there is also a little group mutiny occasionally involved. And the quarterback has to be in charge of that. The best example of that I've ever known about was Jack Mildren. Not sure, but I suspect Bobby Warmack was the same way.

When Mildren was a soph, it just wasn't the case. We had several elite college players who were seniors. Three first round draft picks plus another senior who was one of the two or three best centers in the country who played over a decade in the NFL. Warmack had been their leader. Jack didn't really get there with them. We had the Heisman Trophy winner and went 6-4. Lousy defense had a little to do with it too.

But by his senior year, 1971, the Sooners were Jack's team and the offense was absolutely his team. Just before halftime in the GOTC, the staff was coming down from the press box. Jack called the two long pass plays that went the length of the field to his buddy Jon Harrison that gave us a 17-14 lead.

Especially in college football, you can be a pretty lousy passer, but if your offense allows you to thrive running the triple option, you can be a very successful quarterback. And you can have no legs at all, but if you are in the right offense, and have good ball skills, you can be a very successful quarterback.

But you cannot be a quality quarterback if you aren't a good leader.

I remember after Jack died, way too early, and the comments about him by his former teammates. I think it was Greg Pruitt who said, "He was our general."

Josh Heupel wasn't much of a runner, and by the end of 2000, his arm was beat up. But his leadership willed that team to a national title. And you could see it.

BStoops calls it "huddle presence." I guess that's the case even when his team doesn't huddle.

A running game and a great defense. Bradford lacked the great defense versus Florida and not having Murray also hurt in that game.

I'll go with composure.
A bunch of option QBs have won titles without being big time passers, Frazier, Rice, Newton, Tebow, Jones...

I'll stick with accuracy. If a QB can't throw the ball with accuracy in today's game, his leadership won't matter. i.e. Trevor Knight the guy is solid gold at leadership skills, but his accuracy holds him back and his team. While I can see, understand and respect the point of view from players of the 50's, 60's, 70's etc., football in today's game requires an arm with accuracy. Brains, composure, WRs, RBs, and O-line will enhance his success, but if he can't throw with accuracy, the team is limited in the type of plays and defenses can easily adjust their game plans. A QB has to be able to throw the ball with accuracy these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT