ADVERTISEMENT

West Virginia QB Grier out with injury for OU game....

He is great talent and its unfortunate. With OSU and WV both losing yesterday it really hurts OUs SOS.

With Grier out OU is in a cant win situation with this committee. Win and they wont be impressed, lose and the committee will have their reason to blast OU.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
It doesn't hurt OUs SOS very much, it may even help. OSU will drop a few spots but Texas and KSU now have winning records. OU has won 5 games against teams with winning records compared to 6 for Clemson. If OU loses to WV it doesn't make any difference what the committee thinks about OU.

He is great talent and its unfortunate. With OSU and WV both losing yesterday it really hurts OUs SOS.

With Grier out OU is in a cant win situation with this committee. Win and they wont be impressed, lose and the committee will have their reason to blast OU.
If OU losses to West Virginia, we will ALL have a reason to "blast OU".

Reactions: iasooner1
Back up qb's, no problem!
cd8c39c133b8c1e2f7c72697342043d0.jpg

A similar but worse situation, imho, applies to Wiscy as far as the committee potentially denigrating team records.

The Badgers, even though they're currently undefeated, have a relatively dismal SOS and when they finally played a ranked team (Michigan #24) on Badger turf, the Wolverines were pretty much toothless as their starting QB didn't play, they went with a Freshman QB who left the game with an injury late in the 3rd quarter, and had to play the remainder of the game with their #3 QB, At that, Michigan led the mighty Badgers 10-7 late in that 3rd quarter.

There is much committee love for Wiscy and the Big X in general, That said, I don't see a rational reason for them to leap frog us in the rankings at this time. And the Badgers will, I believe, play Ohio State in the conference championship...a game I feel Wiscy will lose.

It's possible Baker might be held out of the WVU game (or maybe not start) as punishment for his antics against KU especially with the Mountaineers starting QB out with an injury. We win this game either way.

Mike Stoops record preparing his defense for backup qbs is horrendous. Plenty to be concerned about Saturday’s game.

Mike Stoops record preparing his defense for backup qbs is horrendous. Plenty to be concerned about Saturday’s game.
OU had a memorable game in 1977 against a Texas team that had to play its 3rd string QB after the first and second teamers (McBath and Aune) were injured early in the game.
Randy McEachern came in and led his team to a 13-6 win with Earl scoring the game's lone touchdown. McEachern was not at all a great QB, but he was smart and fundamentally sound, helping Texas go undefeated until it was blasted by Notre Dame, 38-10, in the Cotton Bowl....the same day OU coughed up a national championship to Arkansas (with 4 players suspended) in the Orange Bowl, 31-6.

Hate to see that happen to what seems to be a good young man. An ugly injury, though he handled it like a boss.

However, a struggling WV offense can help give a frustrating but talented Sooner D some confidence, especially with the young DBs.

OU had a memorable game in 1977 against a Texas team that had to play its 3rd string QB after the first and second teamers (McBath and Aune) were injured early in the game.
Randy McEachern came in and led his team to a 13-6 win with Earl scoring the game's lone touchdown. McEachern was not at all a great QB, but he was smart and fundamentally sound, helping Texas go undefeated until it was blasted by Notre Dame, 38-10, in the Cotton Bowl....the same day OU coughed up a national championship to Arkansas (with 4 players suspended) in the Orange Bowl, 31-6.
I vividly remember that game. I was there. When Texas lost their first two QB's I thought we had it made. It was Fred Ackers first year. Leon Fuller was the DQ for Texas and they had a great defense. You are right! Mceachern was very smart and just adequate enough as a passer. I can still see big Earl running over our DB on his touchdown run. We drove to the Texas 10 yd line but Lott was tackled by safety Johnny Johnson on a 4th and 1(this based on memory, could be wrong) short of first down. I could be wrong here but I think Texas lost to Georgia in Cotton Bowl something like 10-9. Texas fumbled a punt late in the game to allow Georgia to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT