ADVERTISEMENT

Way, way off topic

iasooner1

Sooner starter
Nov 13, 2002
Frozen tundra Merica, dammit
Do any of you musicians know the theory behind such things as why Canon in D (or whatever) is so instantly recognizable and soothing to the soul? Of all places, I just flipped to our local weather channel that just finished playing it; even on "Muzac" it was greatly appreciated...

Reactions: Tic-Toc-Tic-Toc
Originally posted by Section22Sooner:

I suggest that you stop using solvent based paints and go with acrylic latex next time G man. ;)
omg....takes me back to when I was 16 and spraying *varnish* while building houses during the summer break.

Originally posted by Sooners83:

I suggest that you stop using solvent based paints and go with acrylic latex next time G man. ;)
omg....takes me back to when I was 16 and spraying *varnish* while building houses during the summer break.
That Canon in D sounded pretty good to you back then. Right? ;)

I had to You Tube it. Never heard of it.
I listened to a 3 minute 54 second version.
But I did note that there is a 1 hour and 2 minute version and a 3 hour version on you tube.
Should I try one of the other versions to see if I recognize it?
laugh.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/10 1:14 PM by humblesooner

Speaking of topics. when's the last time you formatted a floppy disk? And why didn't the damn things come pre-formatted?

This post was edited on 4/10 10:34 AM by WhyNotaSooner

Originally posted by WhyNotaSooner:
And why didn't the damn things come pre-formatted?

I could tell you, but that would defeat the direction of this string.

Originally posted by Soonersincefitty:
Well, my skill set precludes me from posting the link, but punch up 'Funtwo, Canon, Live on Youtube and watch this Korean kid totally annihilate this song on electric guitar.

He's very...how we say, adept.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Very cool. Not to take away from his talent, but I think he is playing to a second guitar track. Hear it at 1:44 mark.

https://youtu.be/ilOwXH5p1R0

Speaking of topics. when's the last time you formatted a floppy disk? And why didn't the damn things come pre-formatted?

I actually gave something some intellectual thought today. These questions.

Some did come pre-formatted (3.5" diskettes), But like you say, many 3.5 diskette and the old 5" floppies were not. These were used by many different OS' at the time. Even DOS wasn't standardized yet. There was MS-DOS, IBM-DOS and others. Then there was Unix. And even the old Apple II OS, whatever it was called. And a slew of other systems getting ready to die out. So selling unformatted diskettes meant being able to adapt to different operating system, density formats and even the optional creation of "system disks", or boot disks. That said, I sure don't miss them.

I actually gave something some intellectual thought today. These questions.

Some did come pre-formatted (3.5" diskettes), But like you say, many 3.5 diskette and the old 5" floppies were not. These were used by many different OS' at the time. Even DOS wasn't standardized yet. There was MS-DOS, IBM-DOS and others. Then there was Unix. And even the old Apple II OS, whatever it was called. And a slew of other systems getting ready to die out. So selling unformatted diskettes meant being able to adapt to different operating system, density formats and even the optional creation of "system disks", or boot disks. That said, I sure don't miss them.
Now there's a a good answer.

Originally posted by Medic007:
I remember the day I discovered I could use a hole punch to make those 5.25 inch floppies double sided. Man I was brilliant.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Remember notching the corner of a 720KB 3.5" to enable 1.44MB capacity?

Originally posted by iasooner1:
Do you have the answer for my music question v? If so, enlighten us...
Gee Mr. G. You were far more serious than I originally thought. I feel like a D. I apologize.

OK, I'll rise up to your intelligence level and offer some of my own introspect.

Music has a lot of power. Amazing power. It's almost spiritual. It can call up long forgotten memories, change moods, bring you up, take you down. It can make you remember the scent of a former girlfriend. Or take you back to a specific moment or place in time where you first heard a song. And make you feel those same old emotions... as if you were really there. Music is amazing. It burns itself into the deepest places of your sub consciousness and it stays there for your entire lifetime.

How else could I, after not hearing the jingle for over 50 years, sing every word of the TV commercial for Milton Bradley's "The Game of Life" at the dinner table last night?

Originally posted by iasooner1:
Do any of you musicians know the theory behind such things as why Canon in D (or whatever) is so instantly recognizable and soothing to the soul? Of all places, I just flipped to our local weather channel that just finished playing it; even on "Muzac" it was greatly appreciated...
I certainly don't claim to "know", but I "think" there a few things that make this a "soothing" piece. First of all, it's in a major key, with no dissonance anywhere within the composition. (Minor keys and/or dissonant accidentals arouse a whole different set of emotions) It starts with a very simple, soft melody and the variations on the theme are introduced ever so subtly.. it's a slow crescendo complemented with increasing additions of counter themes from different sections of the orchestra, but the melody is always there keeping things centered. In other words, it continues to take you to different places, musically, while never abandoning home (the main melody). You just don't have to think very hard, or pay very close attention to enjoy it, which is what makes it soothing.

As a contrast, listen to Ravel's Bolero. It's another piece that starts simply and builds in much the same manner. The difference is the minor bridges and the dissonant variations on the main melody. It has a wholly different effect on you.

Originally posted by veritas59:
I certainly don't claim to "know", but I "think" there a few things that make this a "soothing" piece. First of all, it's in a major key, with no dissonance anywhere within the composition. (Minor keys and/or dissonant accidentals arouse a whole different set of emotions) It starts with a very simple, soft melody and the variations on the theme are introduced ever so subtly.. it's a slow crescendo complemented with increasing additions of counter themes from different sections of the orchestra, but the melody is always there keeping things centered. In other words, it continues to take you to different places, musically, while never abandoning home (the main melody). You just don't have to think very hard, or pay very close attention to enjoy it, which is what makes it soothing.

As a contrast, listen to Ravel's Bolero. It's another piece that starts simply and builds in much the same manner. The difference is the minor bridges and the dissonant variations on the main melody. It has a wholly different effect on you.
Thanks to you veritas (you also Steve),

I'm no musician but like to use the only instrument I have and try and sing. Too bad 2nd shift work precludes me from plying that option in the Theater occasionally. Some pieces can bring me close to tears.

If I heard Bolero I would instantly think of Bo Derek running down the beach...

Bolero.... I've got a copy on CD recorded in 1960 in Philly by the Philadelphia Orchestra. It cracks me up every time I hear it. You invest 15 minutes of your life into it just to hear one of the cornets bomb on a high note during the bombastic ending. Great song. Loved it since I was a child.

Interesting read there Veritas. I bet you have the Circle of Fifths memorized.

This post was edited on 4/11 9:13 PM by Section22Sooner

You guys are too kind. Yes, I do have a deep love of music-played professionally for awhile, which means I played whatever paid; big bands, top 40, symphony orchestras, salsa, polka bands at the German American clubs, etc... Probably the most famous guy I ever shared the stage with (or shared the stage with me, to be more accurate) was Lou Marini. You'd know him as Blue Lou from the Blues Brothers/Saturday Night Live/Blood Sweat and Tears fame. He is a helluva sax player. Also performed with Johnny Gimble, Ferrante and Teicher, Joe Williams, and.......... wait for it.......

Karl Waldbauer and the Polka Kings. haha

Ah, the good ol' days.

Johnny Gimble ! Awesome.
Yeah, he was amazing, and a nice man to boot. Almost missed your circle of fifths comment..... sharps to the right, flats to the left.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT