ADVERTISEMENT

Watching 2004 B12 Con Game

If you mean the game vs lsu yeah that one was extremely sad. a) White was hurt & Stoops wouldn't take the ball out of his hands (Saban would have) b) it was played in front of a home crowd. I'm sure there were more reasons such as we had been exposed in KC a month earlier but played well enough to win but didn't etc

Reactions: sooners49
I know I know but man that team should have played better.Believe me I will never forget that game as long as I live no matter how hard I try.
It happens. Remember some of those 63-14 games against Texsa? We weren’t necessarily 50 points better than them, but we were that day. Sometimes things just snowball and get out of hand. Unfortunately for us, it happened to us in the NCG.

My memory might be bad, but I seem to recall reading an article after that USC loss that players from our defensive line were asking the Trojans to stop playing so hard, because they had given up. That sucks.

My memory might be bad, but I seem to recall reading an article after that USC loss that players from our defensive line were asking the Trojans to stop playing so hard, because they had given up. That sucks.

I heard that too and was shocked to hear THAT team would say something like that.I know blowouts happen but on that stage it was hard to believe.I remember going in that I really thought we had that one.Was I wrong!
I would love to hear some players reflect on that game and what they thought about it.

Reactions: iasooner1
How did this team play so poorly in the Nat'l championship game?This team was special,White,Peterson,Bradley etc. Wow just wow it just blows me away every time I see it.
That touching the punt at the 3 yard line was rough. As I recall that USC team is considered one of the best ever. (Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith, Ryan Kalil, Deuce Lutui, Lawrence Jackson, Mike Patterson, Shaun Cody, Lofa Tatupu) We gave away or run/pass preference on offence. After the 2004 aTm game Stoops stopped his Big Game Bob risk taking and went conservative. White was banged up and the best defense in NCAA basically knew when a pass play was called, not good.

I remember reading somewhere possibly here that the USC players said they thought OU had the better team but they just laid down. Also read that quite a few OU players had been out partying the night before the game.
I just want the upcoming season to get started so I can get this bad taste that is the Georgia game out of my mouth but the ever present indigestion lingers knowing MS will still run the defense. :p

I was lazy on the thread title ,I mean the 2004 CCG against Colorado then losing to USC after that.

The loss to USC, and the manner in which the Sooners lost, is my personal worst loss for an Oklahoma team EVER. I never, ever want to watch the replay of that game. This squad just gave up.

Last edited:
A couple of things gave me some pause going into that game, namely the OSU & A&M games earlier. Both QB's bombed us silly (IIRC Woods had 200+ yards on something like 8 completions, while McNeal did his best rendition of 2002, when he came off the bench to beat us). OU won both games, but I caught myself thinking about what Leinart & those receivers could do to our D if those 2 could have the games they did, especially when he had 5 minutes to dissect our secondary, thanks to OU not having that DT who commanded the double team (remember, Dusty had been booted earlier in the year & he was pretty much the only one we had of that caliber & no, I'm not placing the blame entirely on him, just saying that it might've been a bit more competitive had somebody been giving Leinart the business a little bit instead of him being able to just sit back in the rocking chair like he did).

The other thing that made me uh-oh came right after OU's first TD. The camera caught Carroll sporting a big Cheshire cat grin, & I got really confused, really quickly. They asked him about it in the post game & he said that he was thinking that yeah, they gave up a TD, but it took OU 12-13 plays to get it, & he didn't think OU would be maintaining long sustained drives like that on his defense all night. Unfortunately, he was spot on.

The loss to USC, and the matter in which the Sooners lost, is my personal worst loss for an Oklahoma team EVER. I never, ever want to watch the replay of that game.
Agree. Not because OU lost a game for the national championship....but played poorly....was thoroughly routed (the game was decided by halftime)....on prime time national television. This game eclipsed the 31-6 loss to Arkansas in the 1978 Orange Bowl, and that says a lot.
The fact that USC had perhaps its best team since 1972 didn't help either.....but 55-19 ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT