ADVERTISEMENT

Video for the football starved Sooner fan:

I think this year's team can be fun to watch, how much so won't be known until September 12th.

CT, maybe it's my usual "drinking the kool-aid" prior to every season, but I'm starting to get on board with this being a much different year than last season. I'm not as gloom-and-doom as I was a handful of months ago. lol I don't see OU making a natty title run, but I can see OU racking up 10 wins and making it a much more solid season than many are thinking. You are right though, we will know exactly where this team is at after the Tennessee game on Sept 12th. I really think this is more of a team built for 2016 and beyond.

Reactions: Tank Gossage
CT, maybe it's my usual "drinking the kool-aid" prior to every season, but I'm starting to get on board with this being a much different year than last season. I'm not as gloom-and-doom as I was a handful of months ago. lol I don't see OU making a natty title run, but I can see OU racking up 10 wins and making it a much more solid season than many are thinking. You are right though, we will know exactly where this team is at after the Tennessee game on Sept 12th. I really think this is more of a team built for 2016 and beyond.
Two issues that concern me the most are the receiving corps and offensive line. These two areas will make or break the level of success of any of the three quarterbacks. We complain about the level of play by Knight and Thomas last year....and for good reason....but the receiving corps made them really look bad too often. Case in point: Knight's performance would have been much better if he had had the same receiving corps....and Brennen Clay....that he had against Alabama. Bester, Saunders and Clay were the main elements of OU's win because the defense gave up big plays (as usual) and were greatly helped by Alabama's lackluster performance.
As the Oklahoma State loss last year is said to have had a hangover effect by OU vs Clemson, the same can be said of Auburn's "kick-six" field goal return to beat Alabama in 2013. Alabama, in my opinion, did not look like the team that played during the regular 2013 season when it played OU.

Reactions: BillyRay
Two issues that concern me the most are the receiving corps and offensive line. These two areas will make or break the level of success of any of the three quarterbacks. We complain about the level of play by Knight and Thomas last year....and for good reason....but the receiving corps made them really look bad too often. Case in point: Knight's performance would have been much better if he had had the same receiving corps....and Brennen Clay....that he had against Alabama. Bester, Saunders and Clay were the main elements of OU's win because the defense gave up big plays (as usual) and were greatly helped by Alabama's lackluster performance.
As the Oklahoma State loss last year is said to have had a hangover effect by OU vs Clemson, the same can be said of Auburn's "kick-six" field goal return to beat Alabama in 2013. Alabama, in my opinion, did not look like the team that played during the regular 2013 season when it played OU.

You're quite right CT about the receivers in the SB and Alabama players admitted they just didn't have their heart in that Sugar Bowl after having lost to Auburn in such an unorthodox and dramatic fashion. IE, OU played well enough to hang with them and were extremely lucky at the same time.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
You're quite right CT about the receivers in the SB and Alabama players admitted they just didn't have their heart in that Sugar Bowl after having lost to Auburn in such an unorthodox and dramatic fashion. IE, OU played well enough to hang with them and were extremely lucky at the same time.
Not that I care either way, but Alabama should not have played in the Sugar Bowl. That's not diminishing Auburn's win over Alabama at all, but that kick return was as much a fluky play as it was a heads up play. Alabama had its field goal team in, which means it had no speedy personnel on the field as it would have on punt/kickoff coverage. The returner fielded the punt in the back of the end zone, saw the defenders slow up, and made a great play.
I felt that the OU win over Alabama at the time was so timely and so necessary for OU's future. Then came the 2014 season when all of that kind of thinking evaporated.

CT you are right on the money about the WR corp last year. We heard before the season this time last year about how great the WRs were looking in practice and how that group had quality depth. Then once Sterling went down it was obvious that comments were completely false.
And I'm sure you have read the same practice reports over in CC that I have read. The coaches are saying alot of the same things about the WRs but I feel different about those comments with the new position coaches and new OC. I am thinking that will make all the difference.
At this point I am looking to Baker or Thomas getting the QB nod. There has been quite a bit of talk about Trevor having issues completing throws to the middle of the field. In Riley's offense that will really hurt his chances. I'm pulling for Thomas. I say let him get great experience this season and he will be solid by the end of the year and going into 2016.
The OL is what worries me the most. With a new QB I think early on OU might have to the lean alot on the RBs. Worried how that will play out if the OL isn't giving them room or holes to the run. Could make the early part of the season kinda rough going for the offense.
And yes...the Sugar Bowl was fools gold. People here bashed the hell out of Alabama and Saban for saying they weren't up for that game. Well OU had a taste of that with the Clemson game. But I also think the Clemson game will turn out to be fools gold in that we shouldn't let it sour our expectations going into this season the opposite way the Sugar Bowl over inflated our expectations this time last year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT