ADVERTISEMENT

Very interesting ESPN Story Oklahoma and Ohio State and the Football Championship Committee

You know, we’re damn lucky that the Iowa State loss isn’t looking like such a fluke. The more success ISU has the better for OU as long as we keep winning, which ain’t gonna be that easy.

Last weekend I wanted only three things to happen in college ball: OU beats Tech, ISU beats TCU, and tOSU beats PSU. If ANY of those did not happen, OU wouldn't be sitting near where they are now.

Sometimes your wishes get answered. I've seen 4 very good movies in a row recently at the theater. Luck runs in streaks!

2000 seems so very long ago now.

Last weekend I wanted only three things to happen in college ball: OU beats Tech, ISU beats TCU, and tOSU beats PSU. If ANY of those did not happen, OU wouldn't be sitting near where they are now.

Sometimes your wishes get answered. I've seen 4 very good movies in a row recently at the theater. Luck runs in streaks!

2000 seems so very long ago now.

Only 18 YEARS......not that I’m counting!!

And you don't think most OU fans don't feel entitled to get a playoff nod over other teams for various reasons??

In reality, people hate the playoff committed because they have an impossible job. They have to pick 4 teams, when every year there are far more than 4 teams that have legit claims as to why they should be worthy of a playoff spot over other teams.

Maybe some do but I dont. However I hate the commitee based on the fact its so secretive and they are far from transparent. You are correct that other teams also have legit claims though.

Maybe some do but I dont. However I hate the commitee based on the fact its so secretive and they are far from transparent. You are correct that other teams also have legit claims though.

For the record BR I am of the opinion of 6 team playoff with only power 5 conf champs plus 1 non P5 ( that would include ND). If you like the human element thats cool buts its outdated.

Win out and we're in, but that's also true for a few other teams.

Not in the scenario with the current top 4 winning out. I don't see UGA or Bama creaming the other in the SEC CCG so both will stay, 1 with a CCG loss. That leaves the other two: ND's overall SOS will be strong and their lone loss to UGA will be better than our loss; The weakest resume' would be Clemson but they'd add undefeated Miami as a W and no one is going to keep a 1-loss previous year NC champion out.

The other regular season games that matter the most to us (assuming Mike gets his $#!t in a pile and any of this matters):
* Clemson at NC State this Saturday (FSU, Citadel and SCarolina have almost zero shot of beating them).
* ND at Miami and at Stanford (Wake and Navy may put up a fight for a half, but that's it).

And then there are the wildcards of Wiscy and Miami winning out.

Wiscy should lose to tOSU in their CCG, but if they win, they match our best win, still have an otherwise crap SOS, but are undefeated. Would we go over an undefeated conf champion?

Miami
winning out means wins over two current top 4 teams: Notre Dame and Clemson, the latter in their CCG. I did not mention that with Clemson above so I could discuss it here - but Miami as undefeated conf champion definitely goes over us with those two scalps.

The best, most realistic scenario for OU: Clemson loses to NC State this Saturday and then beats Miami in the ACC CCG (if needed - the Canes play the Fightin' Fuentes this weekend, and my money is on the Hokies). We'd slide into the four spot and likely stay there even if Wiscy pulls a miracle upset over tOSU in the Big 10 CCG. ND slipping up to either @Miami or @Stanford is plan B, but I just think Clemson's mediocre offense slipping up to NC State in Raleigh is the better upset possibility.

And then there's the upset no one saw coming. Happens every year....

Last edited:
Still need Notre Dame to lose again IMO.

If UGA and Bama are unbeaten in the SEC title game, the loser could still be in ahead of us.

We need to win and a few others need to lose again.
If ND makes it in, and then the SEC gets two teams in, I think the immediate backlash from the other THREE power 5 conferences would lead to immediate changes in the playoff system. No way would that go over without a massive **** storm going off.

Not in the scenario with the current top 4 winning out. I don't see UGA or Bama creaming the other in the SEC CCG so both will stay, 1 with a CCG loss. That leaves the other two: ND's overall SOS will be strong and their lone loss to UGA will be better than our loss; The weakest resume' would be Clemson but they'd add undefeated Miami as a W and no one is going to keep a 1-loss previous year NC champion out.

The other regular season games that matter the most to us (assuming Mike gets his $#!t in a pile and any of this matters):
* Clemson at NC State this Saturday (FSU, Citadel and SCarolina have almost zero shot of beating them).
* ND at Miami and at Stanford (Wake and Navy may put up a fight for a half, but that's it).

And then there are the wildcards of Wiscy and Miami winning out.

Wiscy should lose to tOSU in their CCG, but if they win, they match our best win, still have an otherwise crap SOS, but are undefeated. Would we go over an undefeated conf champion?

Miami
winning out means wins over two current top 4 teams: Notre Dame and Clemson, the latter in their CCG. I did not mention that with Clemson above so I could discuss it here - but Miami as undefeated conf champion definitely goes over us with those two scalps.

The best, most realistic scenario for OU: Clemson loses to NC State this Saturday and then beats Miami in the ACC CCG (if needed - the Canes play the Fightin' Fuentes this weekend, and my money is on the Hokies). We'd slide into the four spot and likely stay there even if Wiscy pulls a miracle upset over tOSU in the Big 10 CCG. ND slipping up to either @Miami or @Stanford is plan B, but I just think Clemson's mediocre offense slipping up to NC State in Raleigh is the better upset possibility.

And then there's the upset no one saw coming. Happens every year....

I see your point, but I stand by mine. If we win out, we add OSU, TCU, West Virginia, plus a conference championship game, perhaps against Iowa State to the victim list. Only Alabama has a chance to pad its resume' as much as we do (LSU, Aubie, Miss St., CCG). We'd pass somebody, if not a couple of somebodies.

But it's a big if.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT