ADVERTISEMENT

Very interesting ESPN Story Oklahoma and Ohio State and the Football Championship Committee

If I'm Bill Hancock, I'm going to have trouble erasing the fact that I'm an OU Grad, and a native of Hobart, Kiowa County, Oklahoma from my memory. It will be a challenge for him to remain 'Neutral' at this table. I am somewhat comforted to know that Bill will be in the room, and he is one Fine Fellow...FAIR to the 9th degree, but as good as that news is, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't have a vote in this HUGE Decision. His role is as Moderator and Peace Keeper...

I see a storm developing, and it isn't a PERFECT One...Wonder what the Vegas odds are that Oklahoma gets Screwed?

I'd be less than honest if I didn't say that I'm doubtful we will even be in the conversations, further on down the line, nor do we probably deserve to be, but 'The Formula' for the Selection Committee has to give consideration to ALL One-Loss Teams...NOT just their Favorites. By the next round, some of those will be Two-Loss Teams...I hope OU is not one of them...

If we start playing up to our talent-level, for 4 Quarters, THEN we might have something to talk about...

I hope they make the correct decision. And the correct decision may not always be what makes OU fans happy.

We all know OUs problm for the most part is on the defensive side of the ball. If the committe uses that as their seperation guage if it comes down to us and the Buckeyes then they have failed the system.

We know the defense is not championship caliber but the OU offense always gives this team a chance. Now I totally expect us to lose to either OSU or TCU due to that defense but I'll be damn if I believe we aren't deserving over TOSU if it comes to that.

Most BIG fans and especially Buckeye fans feel entitled. Evidently so does the committee and that is horseshit.

This is why I hate this committee process because that room that claims to have integrity has none at all. Its all BS and I cant believe people buy into this BS system.

As an earlier poster said they OU will get screwed and sadley it will be a dry you know what.

We know the defense is not championship caliber but the OU offense always gives this team a chance. Now I totally expect us to lose to either OSU or TCU due to that defense but I'll be damn if I believe we aren't deserving over TOSU if it comes to that.

OU played a championship caliber defense in the last 3 quarters of the TT game giving up only 7 points. . How about that great goal line stand

OU played a championship caliber defense in the last 3 quarters of the TT game giving up only 7 points. . How about that great goal line stand

Bull you have to play 4 Qtrs or sooner or later it bites you in the ass. Why you defend Stoops is beyond me.

BTW its that lack of consistancy on D that is killing us in the polls not so much the ISU loss now. Most networks cant help themselves from cracking a joke about this Sooner D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunburnt Indian
With games at Stillwater and Morgantown and a visit to Fort Worth, I'm not concerned with current situations in CFB as to who makes the playoffs now.
This Oklahoma team is fun to watch offensively, but the defense is not championship worthy at this time and given the talent and coaching and the culture of this team nowadays, I don't see an overnight resurrection.
I wonder if Mike Gundy is coaching for his survival at OSU these days and if he is, how this will play out for his team on Saturday. OU may need to play its best game of the year here.....for all four quarters.

With games at Stillwater and Morgantown and a visit to Fort Worth, I'm not concerned with current situations in CFB as to who makes the playoffs now.
This Oklahoma team is fun to watch offensively, but the defense is not championship worthy at this time and given the talent and coaching and the culture of this team nowadays, I don't see an overnight resurrection.
I wonder if Mike Gundy is coaching for his survival at OSU these days and if he is, how this will play out for his team on Saturday. OU may need to play its best game of the year here.....for all four quarters.
Thanks for this, CT...It summarizes my thoughts on the 2017 Sooners, perfectly...

As for Bedlam...IMO, it's a Crapshoot, and so far, OU has not played four consecutive quarters...Hope we get to see that!

Reactions: iasooner1
If OU were to make the playoffs, what two teams that have a chance of being there would the Sooner defense best match up with in the semi and championship games? Alabama, Wisconsin, Georgia, Penn State, Ohio State, Clemson, Notre Dame. At this point, there are others. It’s hard to pick your poison. Of course this is in a perfect world, and as we all should know, the world is no where near perfect. But I digress.

If OU were to make the playoffs, what two teams that have a chance of being there would the Sooner defense best match up with in the semi and championship games? Alabama, Wisconsin, Georgia, Penn State, Ohio State, Clemson, Notre Dame. At this point, there are others. It’s hard to pick your poison. Of course this is in a perfect world, and as we all should know, the world is no where near perfect. But I digress.
Agree.
The team that beat Ohio State on September 9th has vanished on defense. Of the 7 teams listed, OU might be hard pressed to beat....OU won't catch another Saban team napping, won't catch an Ohio State team that's had time to mature and improve since losing to OU, Clemson has OU's number, Notre Dame is not the team OU faced in 2012 and 2013. My feelings could change 180 degrees, however, with a strong finish by OU featuring a "big boy" defense.

We all know OUs problm for the most part is on the defensive side of the ball. If the committe uses that as their seperation guage if it comes down to us and the Buckeyes then they have failed the system.

Most BIG fans and especially Buckeye fans feel entitled. Evidently so does the committee and that is horseshit.

This is why I hate this committee process because that room that claims to have integrity has none at all. Its all BS and I cant believe people buy into this BS system.

As an earlier poster said they OU will get screwed and sadley it will be a dry you know what.
And you don't think most OU fans don't feel entitled to get a playoff nod over other teams for various reasons??

In reality, people hate the playoff committed because they have an impossible job. They have to pick 4 teams, when every year there are far more than 4 teams that have legit claims as to why they should be worthy of a playoff spot over other teams.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
I’m sure I’m in the minority but I prefer not to participate in the playoffs unless OU has a realistic chance of winning. Given the Sooner defensive performance overall thus far, I rather go to the Sugar and play like we did last year. Or a similar non-playoff bowl. We may not win but I like the odds much better than playing a team like Alabama in the first round. What’s gained by that?

Food for thought.... If OU wins out and plays ISU for the Big XII Championship and gets a revenge win, there is no way Ohio State keeps OU out of the playoffs because not only would OU have beaten Ohio State, but OU would have won against an ISU team that beat OU and TCU. Oh, the irony. :)

Well tOSU (if they win out) will be playing in a championship game as well. So it'll be a wash most likely.

I’m sure I’m in the minority but I prefer not to participate in the playoffs unless OU has a realistic chance of winning. Given the Sooner defensive performance overall thus far, I rather go to the Sugar and play like we did last year. Or a similar non-playoff bowl. We may not win but I like the odds much better than playing a team like Alabama in the first round. What’s gained by that?

Getting to the final four is a big deal for quite a few reasons. Two of which would be the fulfilling of one of the goals of the Coaches & players. And it would be a serious shot in the arm & help from a recruiting stand point. Of course I want us to win every game played but I also want to play in every game earned. If we qualify, I say tee it up and let's see what happens.

Well tOSU (if they win out) will be playing in a championship game as well. So it'll be a wash most likely.

But, if OU faces ISU and beats them, you can't say OU lost to ISU and have the same negative impact if we beat them in a rematch, and the fact that ISU just knocked off #4 TCU is another reason that loss won't be so bad against OU, but OU still beat Ohio State.

Getting to the final four is a big deal for quite a few reasons. Two of which would be the fulfilling of one of the goals of the Coaches & players. And it would be a serious shot in the arm & help from a recruiting stand point. Of course I want us to win every game played but I also want to play in every game earned. If we qualify, I say tee it up and let's see what happens.

I guess it depends upon how you look at it. I don't see it that way. Regardless, I hope we win wherever we play. And I do hope we really earn our way in.

Last edited:

Actually, I tend to agree but for the fact that an appearance in the playoff, regardless of the outcome, tends to boost recruiting.

I should have read this before I posted... and then a simple "like" would have sufficed. :)

As someone has made so famous "what difference does it make" ?
In this era of video game scoring, IF we were to lay a few 49-38 wins on whoever we face in the finals, as long as we score one more (which we've proven we do repeatedly), we still have #8. I know it's not me OR my Dad's kind of OU football but it may be the future, for better or worse

Last edited:
As someone has made so famous "what difference does it make" ?
In this era of video game scoring, IF we were to lay a few 49-38 wins on whoever we face in the finals, as long as we score one more (which we've proven we do repeatedly), we still have #8. I know it's not me OR my Dad's kind of OU football but it may be the future, for better or worse
Ahhhhh...But Living in the Past is Sooooo Much More Comfortable...Easier, Gentler Times, and a Better Way of Life...

Don't count on it. Remember the following dig at the CFP committee from Desmond Howard. Get ready for it to come true..

"Dear Oklahoma fans, don't celebrate too hard. You're gonna be mad when you see Ohio State in #CFBPlayoffand you're not.

Signed, Penn State"
Theres a huuuuuge difference between us and Penn State last year. Penn State was 10-2, while Ohio State was 11-1. Penn State played in the CCG, thereby going 11-2. Same amount of wins as OSU, but one more loss. Without a doubt, a one-loss team has a better chance than a two-loss team.

It’s not that we CAN’T play championship level defense, because we have. It’s that we don’t do it often enough. Ohio State back in early September was championship level defense. The last three quarters of the Tech game (a top five offensive team in the country) was championship level defense.

The problem is too often we play like we did against Baylor. Or 1st quarter against Tech. We need more quarters where we dominate against top level offenses.

We have those chances coming up.

If I'm Riley, I'm preemptively meeting with the team, telling them we will be behind tOSU, but none of that matters if we don't focus on g'damn Bedlam. Hell I'd schedule a meeting during tonight's telecast so the players can't even watch it. Absolutely nothing we can do with the playoff committee's selections other than let it be a distraction. And I hope Riley does not discuss this with the media: "We have no control over that, we're just going to focus on our opponents, blah, blah, blah."

If I'm Riley, I'm preemptively meeting with the team, telling them we will be behind tOSU, but none of that matters if we don't focus on g'damn Bedlam. Hell I'd schedule a meeting during tonight's telecast so the players can't even watch it. Absolutely nothing we can do with the playoff committee's selections other than let it be a distraction. And I hope Riley does not discuss this with the media: "We have no control over that, we're just going to focus on our opponents, blah, blah, blah."

Agree. I wish though the media wouldnt ask questions like that and instead keep their questions to upcoming games

Reactions: iasooner1
IAbsolutely nothing we can do with the playoff committee's selections other than let it be a distraction. And I hope Riley does not discuss this with the media: "We have no control over that, we're just going to focus on our opponents, blah, blah, blah."
Riley should copy what Saban told a reporter when asked about the playoff rankings being released tonight.

That’s exactly as I had them. :rolleyes: Seriously not surprised at all except for the order, but can’t argue much. A lot more football and I bet it doesn’t end up like this.

In my mind, that's the way had them as well, at least the top 6. Georgia's 8-0 is against a better schedule than Bama's, And that national TV beat down of tOSU goes a long-long way when your only loss was to a team that came out of nowhere to the top position in the race for Big 12 #1.

Every team has close games with lesser rivals. The Sooner have had an unusual number of those, but two months from now nothing changes the fact that OU won, and those other teams - all gunning for the defending champs - all lost.

Sweeten it up with wins in Stillwater and against TCU and WV, and literally nothing can keep OU from joining the final four.

In my mind, that's the way had them as well, at least the top 6. Georgia's 8-0 is against a better schedule than Bama's, And that national TV beat down of tOSU goes a long-long way when your only loss was to a team that came out of nowhere to the top position in the race for Big 12 #1.

Every team has close games with lesser rivals. The Sooner have had an unusual number of those, but two months from now nothing changes the fact that OU won, and those other teams - all gunning for the defending champs - all lost.

Sweeten it up with wins in Stillwater and against TCU and WV, and literally nothing can keep OU from joining the final four.

You know, we’re damn lucky that the Iowa State loss isn’t looking like such a fluke. The more success ISU has the better for OU as long as we keep winning, which ain’t gonna be that easy.

That's my top 5, as well. Beyond that, I think Penn State is overvalued as their best win is against a slightly above average Michigan. I would have TCU ahead of them.

Win out and we're in, but that's also true for a few other teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT