UPDATE: 10:00 am: OU/Tulane moving to Norman

Carey Murdock

Sooner starter
Staff
Dec 6, 2001
Norman, OK
www.soonerscoop.com
UPDATE 10:00 AM

Have confirmed through multiple sources now that OU/Tulane will be moved to Norman. OU had been working with a lot of community leaders around town to prepare them to have the full gameday experience in Norman. They wanted to wait and find out how much damage Hurricane Ida was going to cause and it's worse than they had hoped so get ready for an announcment around noon that the game is moving to Norman. And for those of you coming to town, the full Campus Corner gameday experience will be ready to roll.

More info on tickets, etc., will be coming out around noon from what I am told.

ORIGINAL POST

I figured I would start over with a new thread just sharing stuff I have come across over the weekend.

OU has very much been preparing for the eventuality this game would move to Norman. As of yesterday just about every department started bracing for this as a possibility. I do believe OU expects to hear a decision today at some point.

Right now, New Orleans is without power and could be for many days and weeks to come. My feeling is that this game is headed toward being played in Norman. If today is the deadline to make a decision, I don't think they will be far enough along in their ability to assess the situation.

They may have no choice but to go ahead and move the game because of the unknowns in New Orleans.

A lot of flights have been cancelled coming in and out of New Orleans. With power problems, can people even fly into the airport this week? Will hotels have the ability to welcome in guests?

If it does need to be moved, the plans will start developing quickly. OU feels today needs to be the day a decision is made because all of things you guys are asking about. How do tickets get distributed? Do you pay extra? When do single game tickets go on sale? Are they all just single game ticket sales? (I doubt that last one).

There are so many things the gameday events crew will have to fast track for this weekend as well. Just getting the stadium ready and hiring crews to work this weekend. Getting the concession stand people ready to go. Moving up orders of food and drink to this week instead of next.

It will be a massive effort to make it all happen.

But just know that OU is, and has been, on high alert in case this goes down and the game has to be played in Norman.

And I do expect to find out the answer to where the game will be played by tonight. Not guaranteeing anything, and maybe OU doesn't announce until tomorrow when they have more answers on how the gameday part is going to work out with tickets, etc.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News