ADVERTISEMENT

Up to 7 in both polls

I'm glad we're that high but, frankly, I think it's based more on name recognition than anything else. If, after the Texas game, we're at least that highly ranked, I'd be elated.

Bottom line, there's a lot of season left and we have a lot to prove...fingers crossed.

I'm still a big Big XII fan. I'll pull for every Big XII team except Texas, and I might pull for the Horns against a few selected opponents. I kind of hope they get smashed this weekend, but if they won, it would probably help us for this season. I always pull for ISU against the Hawkeyes, but they usually let me down, especially recently.

I honestly think 11 is closer to the right ranking than 7. Notre Dame lost this weekend, but the played better than we did. A lot of people think tOSU is the best or second best team in the country, and at their place, ND gave them a battle. Their defense was especially effective.

But early, it really doesn't matter much. We'll see if we improve much this week. I hope some of the really talented freshmen get a shot at showing off at least a little.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Campbell is due with his worst team
The hawks board is already writing this year off, bitching about the Coaches nepotism and what not and attacking their starting qb (No tds and multiple int’s over the last 8+ quarters)

The rankings I regard as relevant right now are the recruiting rankings, which, for OU, are going to be a top 5 class.
As for the present, it's just a matter of winning games and letting the polls take care of themselves.
I see Texas as the game to truly judge this team by for this year. However flawed the Horns are, they will be challenging and an even tougher foe than OSU, who OU plays in Norman.

It's hilarious to see people get so worked up over meaningless polls. None of these polls are relevant anymore. Back in the BCS era, they were important because the AP and Coaches' polls counted for 2/3 of the formula that determined the two participants.

The only thing that matters anymore is the College Football Playoff Selection Committee's rankings, which are used to determine the four playoff participants and subsequent bowl pecking order. They start from scratch every week and pay no attention to other polls in their evaluation.

It's hilarious to see people get so worked up over meaningless polls. None of these polls are relevant anymore. Back in the BCS era, they were important because the AP and Coaches' polls counted for 2/3 of the formula that determined the two participants.

The only thing that matters anymore is the College Football Playoff Selection Committee's rankings, which are used to determine the four playoff participants and subsequent bowl pecking order. They start from scratch every week and pay no attention to other polls in their evaluation.
You are wrong. What about the polls with regards to major bowl selections? The bowls that are not at the playoff sites? These bowls have different payouts. The Sugar Bowl is much more lucrative than the Cheese-It Bowl? I think your opinion is just that...an opinion with no basis in fact. In fact, these rankings have a financial impact.

You are wrong. What about the polls with regards to major bowl selections? The bowls that are not at the playoff sites? These bowls have different payouts. The Sugar Bowl is much more lucrative than the Cheese-It Bowl? I think your opinion is just that...an opinion with no basis in fact. In fact, these rankings have a financial impact.
I agree but….early polls don’t concern me. Weren’t we ranked #16 early in the 1999 season? But you’re right about the financial impact the late polls have.

I’d be great if OU were to overachieve this year and make a playoff but if it’s not in the cards I do hope USC finds a way because that defense is prime for smashing….again.

I agree but….early polls don’t concern me. Weren’t we ranked #16 early in the 1999 season? But you’re right about the financial impact the late polls have.
Early polls matter in certain circumstances so it's always better to climb the ladder. Who do you think has a better chance of making a bigger bowl? A 11-1 team that has been in the top #10 most of the season or a 11-1 team that inched it's way into the top #10 the last couple of weeks? Our 1999 season is not a good example. We were climbing because we were beating #1 teams but more important at seasons end we were the only undefeated team remaining in the polls at bowl selection.

College football is a business. Think of it as a business and you are the CEO. Promoting your business starts on Day One of the season and ends on the last game or Conference Championship Game. Polls may not matter as much to Brent because he is working on the foundation but you can take it to the bank that these polls are important to Joe C and the OU brands. Joe is designing the future.

Last edited:

The human polls do not determine the pecking order for any of the bowl games.

In the example you cited, the Sugar Bowl (if not a playoff site) takes the selection committee's highest ranked Big 12 non-playoff team against their highest ranked SEC non-playoff team. The Cheez-It Bowl is a minor bowl, and its teams are selected by the Big 12 and ACC conferences, and they don't use the human polls to determine their participants.

The four playoff teams and New Year's Six bowl games are filled based on the selection committee's rankings. The minor bowl games are filled based on the individual conference tie-ins, and the conferences decide how they want to assign their teams, regardless of what they're ranked in the polls. The polls have nothing to do with the minor (non-New Year's Six) bowl selections, and you'll often see a higher ranked team get a lower bowl assignment by the conference. Their main focus is maximizing revenue and getting attractive matchups.

Last edited:
Early polls matter in certain circumstances so it's always better to climb the ladder. Who do you think has a better chance of making a bigger bowl? A 11-1 team that has been in the top #10 most of the season or a 11-1 team that inched it's way into the top #10 the last couple of weeks? Our 1999 season is not a good example. We were climbing because we were beating #1 teams but more important at seasons end we were the only undefeated team remaining in the polls at bowl selection.
I just watched that Orangebowl NCG against Fla. St the other day. Man both of those defenses were stout, truly a chess match. Bowden was as gracious a coach in defeat as I can recall.

The human polls do not determine the pecking order for any of the bowl games.

In the example you cited, the Sugar Bowl (if not a playoff site) takes the selection committee's highest ranked Big 12 non-playoff team against their highest ranked SEC non-playoff team. The Cheez-It Bowl is a minor bowl, and its teams are selected by the Big 12 and ACC conferences, and they don't use the human polls to determine their participants.

The four playoff teams and New Year's Six bowl games are filled based on the selection committee's rankings. The minor bowl games are filled based on the individual conference tie-ins, and the conferences decide how they want to assign their teams, regardless of what they're ranked in the polls. The polls have nothing to do with the minor (non-New Year's Six) bowl selections, and you'll often see a higher ranked team get a lower bowl assignment by the conference. Their main focus is maximizing revenue and getting attractive matchups.
There is a report published by the NCAA sighting how the polls have influenced the selection committee. I think it was recently updated. Whether you want to admit it or not the human polls are the starting point for the selection committee so these polls matter to the universities. Look at Jerry Palm's bowl predictions for this season. He has OU going to the playoffs but he also has Baylor in the Sugar Bowl vs TAMU. Baylor is there because they are expected to finish high. They are expected to finish high because they are currently ranked high.

You said these polls are meaningless. Aside from the bowl selections, what about recruiting? Do you think a recruit can be influenced by the human polls? Is OU at#7 the same as OU at #21? I think not. What about fund raising or donors? Do you think these early polls are meaningless to the big money donors?

There is a report published by the NCAA sighting how the polls have influenced the selection committee. I think it was recently updated.

Really? Could you provide a link to said report?

The NCAA has no interest or purview on FBS polls, playoffs or bowl games. The FBS post-season playoffs and bowl games operate as a separate cartel outside of NCAA control, just like the BCS used to. The NCAA does administer the FCS, Division II and Division III playoffs.

Really? Could you provide a link to said report?

The NCAA has no interest or purview on FBS polls, playoffs or bowl games. The FBS post-season playoffs and bowl games operate as a separate cartel outside of NCAA control, just like the BCS used to. The NCAA does administer the FCS, Division II and Division III playoffs.
This is not the one I read but it broaches the same subject matter.

This is not the one I read but it broaches the same subject matter.
OK, that's an article written by Andy Wittry, and published on the NCAA's website. He correctly points out that from the 2014 season through 2021, the No. 1 team in the AP preseason poll made the playoff seven out of eight times. Why would that be shocking or unexpected? It just says the initial poll is frequently a good predictor.

Also, here is the documentation for the bowl selection criteria that I posted about earlier:

"The CFP Selection Committee ranks the top 25 teams and selects the four teams to participate in the semifinal games. Then, after the contract bowls are filled based on conference agreements, the Committee will assign teams to fill the remaining New Year's bowls. Each conference champion from the contract bowls (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC & Pac 12) has a guaranteed spot in its contracted bowl or in another New Year's bowl (Peach, Fiesta or Cotton) if the contracted bowl is a semifinal game and the conference champion is not selected to participate in a semifinal game. The highest ranked champion from the Mountain West, American, Conference USA, Sun Belt or MAC is guaranteed a spot in a CFP bowl and the remaining spots are filled based on the rankings of teams after the contract bowls have been filled.

Once the CFP has filled its bowl slots, Big 12 bowl partners will make selections from the remaining Conference teams. Following is the order of selection. A bowl may pick from any available teams with .500 or better records when it reaches its spot in the selection order. After the placement of those teams, slots will be filled from among the pool of remaining teams."

Last edited:
OK, that's an article written by Andy Wittry, and published on the NCAA's website. He correctly points out that from the 2014 season through 2021, the No. 1 team in the AP preseason poll made the playoff seven out of eight times. Why would that be shocking or unexpected? It just says the initial poll is frequently a good predictor.

Also, here is the documentation for the bowl selection criteria that I posted about earlier:

Ok. You said these polls are meaningless and I wanted to point out that these polls are of vital importance to many during the ongoing season. These polls are relevant to many.

Ok. You said these polls are meaningless and I wanted to point out that these polls are of vital importance to many during the ongoing season. These polls are relevant to many.
I concede that I misspoke when I called them irrelevant. They are of significant relevance on message boards and around the water coolers at work from August to December. When it comes time to select the playoff teams and fill the bowl slots, they're irrelevant.

I concede that I misspoke when I called them irrelevant. They are of significant relevance on message boards and around the water coolers at work from August to December. When it comes time to select the playoff teams and fill the bowl slots, they're irrelevant.
Haha, Ok, I had an idea this would be the tone of your response.

Anyone who thinks the polls dont have some influence on the committees selection are fooling themselves. Then again, anyone who believes they actually debate the top 4 are also in the dark or just being nieve.

They only tell you they start from scratch each week to appease ofool the CFB fans. Its “ K we need two spots for the SEC ( Bama is an auto) and we reserve one for Ohio St then we can debate #4 if need be”

Anyone who trust this behind closed doors ( dont have to answer to anyone) committee has more faith in then than I ever will.

I have never believed a 13 member committee should have this power. At least the BCS had a combined 120 and a computer element deciding it. Yes pollsters are also bias but at least they put there votes out for everyone to see.

Last edited:
Just as a add on , why do you think the committee never wants there selection process to be televised to the public? It would actually force them to debate the process and open themselves up to critics.

Last year was just another example of manipulation by the committee when it came to the top 4. UGA should have had to play Bama in the Semis after losing to Bama in the SECCG. This isnt the first time they manipulated the final top 4 to keep this type of thing from happening. The way UGA lost that game should have dropped them to 4.

Last edited:
And once again OU is involved in reshaping the system (inadvertently). Now there’s a chance 3 or 4 sec sec teams will comprise the playoffs.
B1g sucks, Acc & Puke 10 too. The XII will only get one team in most years

Last edited:
And once again OU is involved in reshaping the system (inadvertently). Now there’s a chance 3 or 4 sec sec teams will comprise the playoffs.
B1g suck it ! Acc & Puke 10 too
And why do you suppose the system is changing to 12 slots vs 4 for the playoffs starting NLT 2026, OU & horns will be in the SEC before the new playoff system is in place. SEC expansion necessitated the change and more money to the SEC.

And why do you suppose the system is changing to 12 slots vs 4 for the playoffs starting NLT 2026, OU & horns will be in the SEC before the new playoff system is in place. SEC expansion necessitated the change and more money to the SEC.
I happened to be at an OU function last year when a guy asked Bob Stoops about expanding to 8 team playoff. You may recall that Stoops served on the play-off committee in the recent past. Stoops' stated that expansion was necessary for several reason. One, to capture a bigger sample of qualified contenders that could win it all and Two, to eliminate the "beauty contest" that transpires within the selection committee narrowing it to four. "Beauty contest" was his exact words. We can't forget that the 13 committee members are made up of mostly ADs and Coaches. It is inherently impossible to dismiss the human polls when 13 committee members cast their votes on play-off pecking order. I agree with your assessments.

Opinions may differ, but I actually think the committee does a much better job of ranking the teams than the AP and Coaches' polls. They certainly realized OU was overrated long before the polls did last year. From the first set of CFP rankings last year:

"Meanwhile, 9-0 Oklahoma also fell four spots compared to its No. 4 AP ranking to No. 8. Oklahoma will most likely get into the playoff if it wins out, but most assumed that an undefeated Power Five team would at least be in the top six.

Spencer Rattler, the Sooners’ quarterback at the start of the season, was benched during the Texas game after a string of uninspiring performances, and Caleb Williams has come in and been great, leading the Sooners to a comeback win over Texas and throwing for 402 yards in a 52-21 win over Texas Tech last week.

The Sooners hadn’t been overly impressive until that Texas Tech win, just squeaking by Kansas, so the CFP committee may be leaning heavily on the eye test."

Opinions may differ, but I actually think the committee does a much better job of ranking the teams than the AP and Coaches' polls. They certainly realized OU was overrated long before the polls did last year. From the first set of CFP rankings last year:

"Meanwhile, 9-0 Oklahoma also fell four spots compared to its No. 4 AP ranking to No. 8. Oklahoma will most likely get into the playoff if it wins out, but most assumed that an undefeated Power Five team would at least be in the top six.

Spencer Rattler, the Sooners’ quarterback at the start of the season, was benched during the Texas game after a string of uninspiring performances, and Caleb Williams has come in and been great, leading the Sooners to a comeback win over Texas and throwing for 402 yards in a 52-21 win over Texas Tech last week.

The Sooners hadn’t been overly impressive until that Texas Tech win, just squeaking by Kansas, so the CFP committee may be leaning heavily on the eye test."

Who does a better job has not been the question. The discuss has been on whether the polls are meaningless and irrelevant. As you say, opinions may differ. I don't think anyone here believes OU was even close to being a play-off contender last year. The committee put Cincinnati in the playoffs. The polls had them highly ranked. Were they more deserving than a one loss Baylor or a two loss Ohio State? yes probably so. Were they a better play-off contender? absolutely not. In this case the committee followed, what appears to be, the human polls.

Bob Stoops is currect when he said it was beauty contest. That was pretty clear in year 1 when TCU was displaced for Ohio State. TCU just didnt have the name brand.

It was clear the years Ohio St and Bama ( twice ) got in without even playing in their respective conf CG. Until a true system is laid out it will always be a beauty contest. The 12 team model at least will partially correct that.

Bob Stoops is currect when he said it was beauty contest. That was pretty clear in year 1 when TCU was displaced for Ohio State. TCU just didnt have the name brand.

It was clear the years Ohio St and Bama ( twice ) got in without even playing in their respective conf CG. Until a true system is laid out it will always be a beauty contest. The 12 team model at least will partially correct that.
Committee might not like Bob. He's everything they aint. Just saying. 👍

Whatever the polls are, or whatever they aren't, they fuel discussions and keep fans interested......as they are doing on this message board on September 8th.
For me, this is one more reason why CFB is more fun to follow and watch than pro football.

Reactions: Oklabama

I agree. The past selection process has accommodated a few injustices. 12 team play-off allows the fringe beauties a chance. I have a neighbor that was on the Fiesta Bowl Selection Committee several years ago. He is/was not a football fan but was "comp'ed" the position due to his position in the banking industry. He told me that the important selection questions were which university would draw the most advertisement time and which university's fan base travels the best. The Fiesta Bowl gets #2 and #3 of the play-off teams this year. The city has a vested interest in who those teams are. I will be praying to the football gods that OU makes it to #2 or #3.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Whatever the polls are, or whatever they aren't, they fuel discussions and keep fans interested......as they are doing on this message board on September 8th.
For me, this is one more reason why CFB is more fun to follow and watch than pro football.
You are absolutely correct. There is no comparison between college and pro football. College football has been my mistress/side chick for many years.

I agree. The past selection process has accommodated a few injustices. 12 team play-off allows the fringe beauties a chance. I have a neighbor that was on the Fiesta Bowl Selection Committee several years ago. He is/was not a football fan but was "comp'ed" the position due to his position in the banking industry. He told me that the important selection questions were which university would draw the most advertisement time and which university's fan base travels the best. The Fiesta Bowl gets #2 and #3 of the play-off teams this year. The city has a vested interest in who those teams are. I will be praying to the football gods that OU makes it to #2 or #3.
I believe what you’re saying but it makes me puke to know that “he is/was not a football fan but was comp’ed the position in the banking industry”. I hate all this phony crap that steals from real legit programs.

Last edited:
Bob Bowlsby bears as much, if not more blame than the committee for what happened in 2014. The committee said that they put a lot of value in conference champions, and after all of the conference championship games were played, they looked to Bowlsby for direction on who the Big 12 champion was. The Big 12 had a round-robin schedule with no championship game, with Baylor and TCU tied for first place. In spite of the "One True Champion" TV commercials and "Everybody plays everybody" campaign in the Big 12, when push came to shove Bowlsby waffled and insisted that Baylor and TCU were co-champions. What should have been done was declare Baylor the conference champion since they beat TCU head-to-head. That was the tie-breaker that was always used in the past.

So when the committee reshuffled the deck after the conference championship games, they never got an answer from Bowlsby on who the official Big 12 champion was, and they put Ohio State in as the #4 seed. The fact that Ohio State demolished Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big Ten championship game, coupled with the fact that the Big 12 did not have a conference championship game also figured heavily in that decision.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
Just as a add on , why do you think the committee never wants there selection process to be televised to the public? It would actually force them to debate the process and open themselves up to critics.

They don't do it in basketball, baseball, softball or any of the other sports either.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
Bob Bowlsby bears as much, if not more blame than the committee for what happened in 2014. The committee said that they put a lot of value in conference champions, and after all of the conference championship games were played, they looked to Bowlsby for direction on who the Big 12 champion was. The Big 12 had a round-robin schedule with no championship game, with Baylor and TCU tied for first place. In spite of the "One True Champion" TV commercials and "Everybody plays everybody" campaign in the Big 12, when push came to shove Bowlsby waffled and insisted that Baylor and TCU were co-champions. What should have been done was declare Baylor the conference champion since they beat TCU head-to-head. That was the tie-breaker that was always used in the past.

So when the committee reshuffled the deck after the conference championship games, they never got an answer from Bowlsby on who the official Big 12 champion was, and they put Ohio State in as the #4 seed. The fact that Ohio State demolished Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big Ten championship game, coupled with the fact that the Big 12 did not have a conference championship game also figured heavily in that decision.
If you believe that would have made a difference then your fooling yourself. Ohio State was going to be pushed ahead no matter what Bowlsby did. It was a pure “ Brand name “ move and nothing more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT