ADVERTISEMENT

Uh oh. Not a fake post. Velus changed his mind. Back in the USC column.

I'm the same. A complete waste of time to follow recruiting. The team we field is the team we field. I trust Bob and our coaches to get the best players they can and field the best team they can. We get what we get.

OUr coaches have completely mismanaged recruiting. Heupel left the cupboard so bare that a TT walk on took jobs from the scolly QBs. We still have a LB coach that has screwed the pig since he landed here with M. Stoops. OU is now so shorthanded on QBs, WRs & LBs that it is a firiggin joke that SI has them ranked pre-season #1. It may take a couple of years to get caught up.

I'm convinced that there will be another coach change(s) after NSD.

Reactions: BillyRay
OUr coaches have completely mismanaged recruiting. Heupel left the cupboard so bare that a TT walk on took jobs from the scolly QBs. We still have a LB coach that has screwed the pig since he landed here with M. Stoops. OU is now so shorthanded on QBs, WRs & LBs that it is a firiggin joke that SI has them ranked pre-season #1. It may take a couple of years to get caught up.

Bare? Hardly. The cupboard was full until he left. Knight may not have been all conference, but he was here whe Josh departed. Thomas was not as bad as he looked last year. But the receiver corps and poor OLine play made it tough for anybody. Hansen was a quality kid, that was mismanaged by the new, highly praised guy. Told he would not be given the chance to compete after sitting a redshirt year. Because of Mayfield, we did not take anybody last year. From what Iive heard of McGinnes, he might be a decent depth guy.

There are surely qb issues now, but that is not close to being on Josh.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan

I don't know enough about coaching college football to know if recruiting has been mismanaged. Based on Bob's track record I assume that he knows what he's doing.

Bob knows what he's doing but obviously WNAS knows more.

Never said I know more than Bob Stoops. You did. Your kidding yourself if you think Stoops is happy with the postition he's in with regards to this recruiting class. He's fired OC's for multiple reasons and part of it is the mismanagement of recruiting. The class that's currently shaping up is the result of an 8-5 season last year. The D-line is shaping up better because a DL Coach was fired several years ago. I suspect Riley will improve the QB depth but it's going to take time. Gundy was recently moved to WR coach and I suspect he'll improve the WR corp eventually. When you dismiss and re-assign coaches, it will have a cause & effect.

I'm happy as hell that the Sooners made it to the playoffs. The energy and focus of this past year was great to see and the changes in coaches had alot to do with the results. They got alot out of the players. Having said this, recruiting is a different animal. A different part of their function, and this class needs alot of help. It's currently ranked by Rivals at #30 with 10 days til NSD. We got a 2 star JC today for depth.

Again, more dribble from the Sooner fanbase and btw, if you buy the crap the NCAA is selling then I would think you'd have something to say about the slaps on the wrist to programs like Miami, Ohio State and North Carolina just to name a few....SC never was, as you put it, "involved with the Bush family via a sports agent"....you don't know what the hell you are talking about.....when the NCAA settles out of court, because they can't stand further public ridicule and embarassment, then get back to me.
Come on you guys, U$C hasn't been cheating since they got caught with their pants down. That's why they've sucked as long as Texa$ has.

Reactions: iasooner1 and 22LR
I won't blame USC for turning this player. I won't say that USC is a rogue school either, given the problems OU has had historically.
OU lost a recruiting battle here as it did with DT Daniels. OU cannot get every player it wants, at least in recent times, but right now, my biggest concern is the quarterback position, based on Mayfield's health and who will back him up.
This 2016 class is about par for the course by OU in recent years. A fairly good class, and one that could get better, but one that's not likely to win an 8th championship.
Many here, including myself, have downplayed the star rating system and I know recruiting is not an exact science and that 2-3 star players can become good players during their careers in college. However, the teams that are heavily laden with 4-5 star players are perennially in the top ten and/or in the championship mix.....and too many of them gravitate to the southeast and west coast for my liking.
Until OU jumps to the SEC, Big 10 or Pac12, I believe it's painted into a corner both geographically and from a perception standpoint. What was and could have been a great conference, is now a shadow of itself.

Reactions: iasooner1
I don't know enough about coaching college football to know if recruiting has been mismanaged. Based on Bob's track record I assume that he knows what he's doing.
Bob does know what he is doing...that's why he sent Heupel packing.

And yes....the cupboard was bare of any legit QB in regards to Heupels recruiting. Heupel hit gold with Landry, then laid it down after that. If not for Baker walking on, Riley would have had a tough task when he arrived.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Bob does know what he is doing...that's why he sent Heupel packing.

And yes....the cupboard was bare of any legit QB in regards to Heupels recruiting. Heupel hit gold with Landry, then laid it down after that. If not for Baker walking on, Riley would have had a tough task when he arrived.

Can someone remind me how many stars Knight, Thomas and Hansen had? While you're at it, remind me of all the top programs that offered the three....Thanks.

Can someone remind me how many stars Knight, Thomas and Hansen had? While you're at it, remind me of all the top programs that offered the three....Thanks.
So what you're admitting with your post is Heupel took the "Mack Brown" approach to recruiting and simply offered kids with lots of stars and offers?? That's the only explanation given every QB he recruited after Landry were busts.

So what you're admitting with your post is Heupel took the "Mack Brown" approach to recruiting and simply offered kids with lots of stars and offers?? That's the only explanation given every QB he recruited after Landry were busts.

No...But I will admit that many 4 star players are busts. Many 2 and 3 stars are golden. I have no idea which one will be which. Do you?

No...But I will admit that many 4 star players are busts. Many 2 and 3 stars are golden. I have no idea which one will be which. Do you?
It's not my job. It was Heupels job though. He got paid big bucks to evaluate kids to the QB position. And he failed miserably. It's why Bob sent him packing. And that's a fact....Jack!!!!

It's not my job. It was Heupels job though. He got paid big bucks to evaluate kids to the QB position. And he failed miserably. It's why Bob sent him packing. And that's a fact....Jack!!!!

So you're saying all the top programs that recruited those three q-b's and lost out on the commitment were wrong too? How about Rivals and Scout that rated them so high?

BTW, Heupel just signed a contract with Missouri that makes him the highest paid offensive coordinator in the SEC. That's a fact...DICK!!!

So you're saying all the top programs that recruited those three q-b's and lost out on the commitment were wrong too? How about Rivals and Scout that rated them so high?

BTW, Heupel just signed a contract with Missouri that makes him the highest paid offensive coordinator in the SEC. That's a fact...DICK!!!

I can see both points of view, but could it have been that recruits were capable but just didn't get the proper QB coaching from Heupel? One way or the other something was missing and Josh has to take some responsibility for all these 4 stars guys flaming out at OU. It was his job to bring players into the program and see that the best of their abilities were realized. Wouldn't anyone expect a coach to bat .333 at least. Just saying.

Lol love that you are getting pissy and resorting to name calling.

Missouri hiring him is irrelevant. In fact, Heupel getting canned maybe woke him up and decided to actually put in some effort recruiting and evaluating players instead of walking around like the QB savant. I mean I guess you could always go off and become a Missouri fan if it floats your boat K2C.

And those kids may have been recruited by other programs that dodged bullets. Kids do bust and fail to live up to expectations. But Heupel turned it into a science. But you seem to want to find excuses for Heupel, when all he did was fail miserably as OUs OC and QB coach. I don't remember you making the same excuses for Mack Brown when his top ranked recruiting classes made a yearly practice of not living up to expectations. Heupel was an exact copy of that.

I can see both points of view, but could it have been that recruits were capable but just didn't get the proper QB coaching from Heupel? One way or the other something was missing and Josh has to take some responsibility for all these 4 stars guys flaming out at OU. It was his job to bring players into the program and see that the best of their abilities were realized. Wouldn't anyone expect a coach to bat .333 at least. Just saying.

Look, I'm not taking up for Heupel, in fact, I'm questioning Bob. Josh never ran his offense. He was a Leach protégé. He went from a Wilson type offense to a Johnny Football type. I blame that on Bob. Way to many changes. He will run his offense at Missouri and it will look like the Briles\|Leach style. Let's see how he does...

Look, I'm not taking up for Heupel, in fact, I'm questioning Bob. Josh never ran his offense. He was a Leach protégé. He went from a Wilson type offense to a Johnny Football type. I blame that on Bob. Way to many changes. He will run his offense at Missouri and it will look like the Briles\|Leach style. Let's see how he does...

I wish only the best for Josh Heupel no matter where he goes.

Lol love that you are getting pissy and resorting to name calling.

Missouri hiring him is irrelevant. In fact, Heupel getting canned maybe woke him up and decided to actually put in some effort recruiting and evaluating players instead of walking around like the QB savant. I mean I guess you could always go off and become a Missouri fan if it floats your boat K2C.

And those kids may have been recruited by other programs that dodged bullets. Kids do bust and fail to live up to expectations. But Heupel turned it into a science. But you seem to want to find excuses for Heupel, when all he did was fail miserably as OUs OC and QB coach. I don't remember you making the same excuses for Mack Brown when his top ranked recruiting classes made a yearly practice of not living up to expectations. Heupel was an exact copy of that.

I didn't call you a name Dick....signed Billy "Jack" Ray.....

Is this even a serious post?? So you are claiming that Heupel, as a Leach protégé, was fired cuz he never got a chance to run the Leach style offense, yet Bob ends up hiring Riley, whom is a Leach Protégé, to run the Leach style Air Raid?? That makes sense to you?? Good....frikin.....lord.....

K2C, I think it was because bob felt he didn't have the quality arms. Landry couldn't move much in the pocket and he had a bad O-Line, but he was pretty accurate. Accuracy left Norman when he did.

No worries...it's easy to see you resort to this style of posting when the reality starts to set in that you are losing badly in this thread. Maybe go hang with Heupel on the Missouri board...you may be happier. Lol

No, just wait on your amigos to bump your ego.....That is all....the end.

No worries...it's easy to see you resort to this style of posting when the reality starts to set in that you are losing badly in this thread. Maybe go hang with Heupel on the Missouri board...you may be happier. Lol

I don't think it has anything to do with losing in this thread but mores that many are beginning to see the reality of a weak staff and how it effects a team. Unlike the NFL where players are fed to the coaches, the wrong coach in CFB for two years can set a program back fast because of recruiting.

K2c is an okay guy, he just loses a lot of discussions on here. As for me, I win a lot. Sometimes winning makes me tired

I don't think it has anything to do with losing in this thread but mores that many are beginning to see the reality of a weak staff and how it effects a team. Unlike the NFL where players are fed to the coaches, the wrong coach in CFB for two years can set a program back fast because of recruiting.
Well cuz some on here bought into the thinking that OU had the best staff in the country. That mentality blinded some to reality.

Hey everyone! Let's get really upset about the state of things, with anger based on pure speculation of a purely speculative aspect of college football! Makes perfect sense.

Reactions: Plainosooner
Based on some of the logic here you'd think that we're the only program to have recruits flame out.

It's really hard to guess what might have been with Trevor. He was an obviously talented athlete. The same bone heads here touting him as a failure of Heupel's were dribbling in their jockey shorts when he was named the starter.

This board has a history of revisionist history.

There are very few "sure things" in recruiting kids to play sports. The Adrian Petersons are few and far between. But none of the above is gonna stop the self titled experts from saying "I told you so" about something they never said in the first place.

Anybody care to check the rankings of Josh Heupel, Jason White, Paul Thompson, Sam Bradford or Baker Mayfield?

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Negative nellies.....take your medicine ......We got into the final 4. I know you guy's hate it, but it's a fact.

aa.gif

Hey everyone! Let's get really upset about the state of things, with anger based on pure speculation of a purely speculative aspect of college football! Makes perfect sense.

You didn't know that some of these guys have the gift of omniscience?

K2c with all due respect, that was a stupid post. No one hates that OU got into the final 4, we hate that we are suffering in recruiting

K2c with all due respect, that was a stupid post. No one hates that OU got into the final 4, we hate that we are suffering in recruiting

And you're so irrelevant you were banned to the Bong horns board. LOL. Just saying...........

With all due respect that neither one of us means..........

Your response didn't even make sense...good grief. How about we call of this truce? You made it obvious a few days ago you have no intentions of being civil even if there is an agreement to do so. Say what you will but even at your age, its a lack of maturity on this message board. You have shown the board you are perfectly happy being a troll. It's who you are and its what you do. Sad yet true

Your response didn't even make sense...good grief. How about we call of this truce? You made it obvious a few days ago you have no intentions of being civil even if there is an agreement to do so. Say what you will but even at your age, its a lack of maturity on this message board. You have shown the board you are perfectly happy being a troll. It's who you are and its what you do. Sad yet true

Actually, the post I made was about rufus7 and agreed [or at least asked a question} with you. You misread it and attacked me. I think I'll just put you on fake ignore....read your post, but keep my pie hole shut.........

SC likely will drop 4/5 games this Fall. Stanford/ND/UO ASU and UCLA stand in their way of getting a sniff at the CFP forever. WS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT