ADVERTISEMENT

Trying not to Overreact and be emotional…BUT

Indy_Sooner22

Gold Member
Nov 28, 2021
This might be a 3-4 win football team. Offense is beyond dysfunctional. Just no momentum or rhythm whatsoever. They don’t do a single thing well, with the exception of some RPO and Burks playmaking ability. With that being said, the RPO is rendered useless without any actual threat of run or movement from the OL at the LOS. A few other thoughts:

1. Getting flashbacks to 2022 with the defense not being properly aligned and set as the ball is snapped. Got beat on the 3rd and 1 quick snap QB sneak because we weren’t set. On the coverage bust we had (2) DBs on the opposite side yelling at each other as the ball was snapped (while being out of alignment). It’s year 3, no excuse for not getting the call in and properly aligned. Lost count how many times our guys weren’t set and reading keys before the ball was snapped tonight.

2. More on the offense: there is no movement or running lanes between tackles in the zone run game. Thought Febechi and Sexton would at least get some push in the run game…they do not. I stand by the notion that Tarquin is not a starting T in the SEC, just not athletic enough and can’t get his hat on quicker DEs/LBs.

3. We miss Farooq, Anderson, and Gibson…not just because of pass catching. Without those guys we have no blocking outside the numbers. Can’t run jet, swings, screens, outside toss, etc with Thompson and the undersized freshmen at WR. Hester also whiffed multiple times on perimeter run blocks that resulted in blown up plays.

4. Some of the soft zone coverage schemes and delayed blitzes in this defense continue to drive me insane. I get BVs defense is predicated on different looks and pressures to cause negative plays, but the constant zone coverage busts are frustrating.

5. Do I think play calling was great tonight? Of course not. With that being said, it’s hard to call much of anything that will be effective with a terrible OL and undersized WRs who can’t create separation. Add in an inexperienced QB who doesn’t trust his line, and we have a mess of a passing game.

6. The stupid undisciplined penalties by Dolby and Bates should be addressed in a major way. Almost cost OU the game…the margin for error is not there for idiotic, ego-driven penalties.

7. Every struggling team’s favorite player is the backup QB (remember Rattler behind Hurts? Caleb behind Rattler? JA behind DG?). However, I do wonder if Hawk’s legs give you a better chance to win with this OL. Maybe moving to the Jalen Hurts 2019 zone read offense is the approach moving forward?

8. I know we are only two games in, but personally I’d rather just concede and play the young pups on the OL. Take your lumps and hope that late in the season they start to make progress heading into 2025. BB has worked some wonders in the past, but this group (even with Hatchett, Everett, Hickman) is beyond a long shot. I just don’t see the talent there with these older guys.

In closing, forget TN and Auburn…. Tulane is going to be a major challenge next week. This might be a long, long season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.