ADVERTISEMENT

Trent Smith — August 1999. (OU Memory Lane)

Bush

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jun 20, 2001
During that time we lost to A&M, and I remember the A&M player asking our player why we suck so bad as “y’all have a lot of talent”. The answer was DEI John Blake, but that’s another story.

We were very suckified during that time and our first recruit was in August 1999; tight end Trent Smith; and he was an Oklahoma boy. The next year we won the national championship.

Fast-forward to today and we’re not out of July and already with 21 commits and a top 10 class in the nation. Perspective, sooner brothers and sisters, perspective. This longevity and consistency is what defines OU football. That, and the bottle of tequila I’m drinking—(a bottle of…), and hatred of the University of Texas.

Oh, by the way, occasionally, I post the 2-Deep from our 2000 national championship team. It indicates very few in our 2-deep were from the state of Texas. I think it came out to eight of 22 players. Just an interesting sidenote. If anybody wants to challenge that you will force me to go back into my old computer and pull up the note.

PS. Due to the tequila I am currently drinking, —-(a bottle of…), I reserve the right to be off by a month or a year on my calculations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoops-there-it-is
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News