ADVERTISEMENT

top 10 running backs at OU

K2c you are a poster with limited sports knowledge and you provide the occasional funny GIF. Other than that, you contribute little to nothing to the board. I'm not a big fan of using the ignore feature but you leave me no choice. Have a good one

edit.............................

Last edited:
I'll say it again. There is no way to rank the top ten........ Quinton Griffin vs. Steve Owens. Complete different running backs...............JMO
K2C....there is a way to rank the top ten backs if you rank them according to each back's impact on the team during his career.
No one can rank Tommy McDonald over Adrian Peterson in terms of physical ability or yards gained. That would be stupid. But McDonald shares at least a much notoriety (more so, in my opinion) as he was such a key component on two national championship teams. And he was perhaps Wilkinson's most famed player during the decade of the 1950's.
Prentice Gautt was OU's first black player...and an All American....therefore, he easily gets put into my top ten.
Imagine how much more Joe Washington's fame would have been acknowledged nationally had his 1974 and 1975 teams been on television.
My rankings reflect the player's impact on OU's history to some degree. Otherwise, I listed players I just liked, like Steve Owens. I never considered ranking them based on how they could be compared playing within the same era....that cannot be done, anymore than comparing Babe Ruth to Mike Trout, or Jim Brown to Barry Sanders.

Eh, guys, I've tried to come up with a comprehensive, fair way to rank our RBs, and it's really an exercise in futility.
You've got all the monster numbers from the wishbone era, compared with the smaller numbers when OU was throwing it around a lot more, it's impossible.

Take solace in your own personal top ten and be happy with that, because I'd wager no two of us will have the exact same list in like order.

Ha...........you get mad when we don't agree that Clay is a top 10 all time back at OU? I guarantee that if you think that then you are in the vast minority. Even on this board, I bet there are very few that would consider Brennan Clay to be in that category.

K2c you are a poster with limited sports knowledge and you provide the occasional funny GIF. Other than that, you contribute little to nothing to the board. I'm not a big fan of using the ignore feature but you leave me no choice. Have a good one

C'mon guys...ya'll should know by now not to feed an ignorant troll. Ignore him and he will just sulk away and spend more time on Google trying to find more useless GIF's to post in his little thread he uses to pad his post/like count.

Reactions: barkingwater2000
Billy its no biggie man. I used the ignore feature and with football season upon us I'd rather have discussions with people that actually talk sports. He will go his own way and I'll go mine. No hard feelings

C'mon guys...ya'll should know by now not to feed an ignorant troll. Ignore him and he will just sulk away and spend more time on Google trying to find more useless GIF's to post in his little thread he uses to pad his post/like count.

Gosh Billy, that's kind of cold. Those GIFs and stills are pretty popular, regardless who generates them.

Oh no, were you on cell extraction duty this week?
That always makes you so pissy. :)

Billy its no biggie man. I used the ignore feature and with football season upon us I'd rather have discussions with people that actually talk sports. He will go his own way and I'll go mine. No hard feelings

Yep no doubt man. Just turns into a pathetic display when a person just can't seem to let go of something and just continues to beat a dead horse when clearly the rest of the board has long since moved on from it. Oh well, like you said the ignore feature was invented with useless trolls like him in mind.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
My list only includes guys I've seen play so I'm sure I'm not giving due credit to guys like McDonald and Vessels.

1. Sims
2. Peterson
3. Dupree (would've been first if he hadn't been an idiot)
4. Washington
5. Owens
6. Q
7. Gaddis (would've been higher if not for the knee injury)
8. Murray
9. Parker
10. King/Overstreet

Good list. I can assure you that Vessels and McDonald belong on any list, maybe Buck McPhail and Clendon Thomas as well.

1. Washington---if I needed a first down or touchdown to save or win the game, who is the back that I want most. I don't know how, but he kept doing it at the most difficult times.
2. Sims---probably more powerful and durable than Washington.
3. McDonald---game on the line, for his time he was a blazer, and his intensity willed a win.
4. Pruitt---he was the best superstar as far as speed, power in the hips and legs, and cutting ability. He and Little Joe could block as well. So could McDonald.
5. Vessels---he could do so much with such effectiveness that he is difficult to rate. May have been the best, but we didn't see as much of him thanks to no TV.
6. Wayman Clark---for one year, he was about as powerful as any back I've seen, including Perine.
7. Owens---not the fastest or the greatest moves. A battle of wills.
8. Peterson---I don't think he reached his peak at OU. He wasn't the ideal go to back in crunch situations that a Sims or Little Joe were.
9. Kenny King---if Sims hadn't been in the backfield, he would have been a superstar.
10. Clendon Thomas---he did so many things that resulted in wins. He had speed and power, especially on the pitch. Led the nation in scoring (McDonald second). Great defender as well.

11.DeMarco Murray---was never at full strength for enough time to be as good as he might have been. Better as a pro.
12. Eddie HInton---was a halfback, sometimes wingback, could run.
13. Q I don't think he was a great back. But, he was effective in that system for what he did. Doubt he would have seen the field with a wishbone or split-T.
14. Patrick Collins---all-around good back, dependable at crunch time.
15. Horace Ivory---another JC who had a short but successful career.
16. Leon Crosswhite---nobody appreciated the Pricers and Crosswhites, but they took the brunt of the hits and cleared the way.

Reactions: Medic007
I dunno...ask KC2 about that. Err actually I think you can relate since you have your own thread politicking for more likes.

I wouldn't know since I could care less about my likes count.

Maybe K2C titled his thread incorrectly. It should have read, "Don't open if you don't like my GIFs. Really, I am serious. If you don't like my GIFs, just walk on by, and don't open."

Maybe K2C titled his thread incorrectly. It should have read, "Don't open if you don't like my GIFs. Really, I am serious. If you don't like my GIFs, just walk on by, and don't open."

Trust me...I haven't opened it. That's a thread for all you guys obsessing over your "likes" count and where you fall on the sites "likes ranking" since apparently it's very important for ya'll. And I very much hope you enjoy it. Maybe that's how you seem to know all about the "school girls on Facebook" thing??

I liked that so much, here's you a pic...........:)

Hey, I never said I was stopping my gifs, just the marathon................

14-11-07-117.jpg

Trust me...I haven't opened it. That's a thread for all you guys obsessing over your "likes" count and where you fall on the sites "likes ranking" since apparently it's very important for ya'll. And I very much hope you enjoy it. Maybe that's how you seem to know all about the "school girls on Facebook" thing??
Really? Nice "play" there BillyRay. If only ignorance had a face.

I'm guessing K2C has a jackass/goat hybrid drowning in a toilet in response. Even if he doesn't, at least he's entertaining.

Going back aways. No one on this board will remember Joe Golding (early Bud). He was great. Also Buck McPhail (FB) who rushed for 1,000 yards along with Vessels 1,000 in 1952. Heck of a combo. Three All Americans in the same backfield in 1952.

So many great backs it's hard for me to rate them. I well remember the Mizzou game when Marcus looked almost impossible to stop. Perrine may be the closest to Earl Campbell that I have seen. Could be the best of them all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT