ADVERTISEMENT

Time to FIRE Mike Stoops

I wanted Mike head when Tevon Austin put up 600 all purpose yards against OU.

There are entire teams that have played OU multiple times that haven't put up as many yards as that kid, in a single game. Venables wasn't the greatest but he was the best recruiter, we have had in the last 7-10 years.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
It is in situations like this, you call on a priest... A Judas Priest...

More like you've got another thing coming....the Sooners D was touted high ....and then the season started. Bad coaching...bad tackling...bad penalties. A special teams that is abyssmal. I just don't get the Sooners anymore. The more accolades we get, the bigger crap they lay on the field....

More like you've got another thing coming....the Sooners D was touted high ....and then the season started. Bad coaching...bad tackling...bad penalties. A special teams that is abyssmal. I just don't get the Sooners anymore. The more accolades we get, the bigger crap they lay on the field....

I was responding to the post about running it down the field on LSU, only to throw 4 incomplete passes and score no points....

Reactions: JConXtsy
So tell me.... Who would you like to replace Mike with?? As the year goes on you will find out OU has a really good D.

....maybe even until our Bowl game, then get ripped a new one. Again, we're averaging 37+ points vs. opponents in our last 4 bowl games. The low was Bama at 31 points but McCarron still set a career day passing.

I wanted Mike head when Tevon Austin put up 600 all purpose yards against OU.

There are entire teams that have played OU multiple times that haven't put up as many yards as that kid, in a single game. Venables wasn't the greatest but he was the best recruiter, we have had in the last 7-10 years.
He should never have been re-hired. There are good coaches all over the country and we should have one of them. That said, the biggest problem is recruiting, and that responsibility falls on the other Stoops

He should never have been re-hired. There are good coaches all over the country and we should have one of them. That said, the biggest problem is recruiting, and that responsibility falls on the other Stoops

Actually, I believe the defense that MS employs is the biggest problem. It's limited and it alone prevents from quality recruiting. The best defensive players in the country do not want to play in his defense.

I disagree. Recruiting falls on all the coaches... and how we act on this here board...:oops:

Reactions: CTOkie and BillyRay
Actually, I believe the defense that MS employs is the biggest problem. It's limited and it alone prevents from quality recruiting. The best defensive players in the country do not want to play in his defense.

The best defensive players in the country want to play for schools that win national championships, too. After Bob won in 2000, he got some of the best for a few years. Not so many in a long time.

The best defensive players in the country want to play for schools that win national championships, too. After Bob won in 2000, he got some of the best for a few years. Not so many in a long time.
Not only playing for National Titles, but the truly upper tier elite talent want to go to the place they think will best prepare them for a shot in the NFL. Bob and his staff use to be known for that years ago. But it's now known that his staff got incredibly lazy in recruiting, then his hiring of less than the best in assistants created an environment that eventually put his program where it is now.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Are you meaning the 3-4 is the biggest problem? I don't think it's the 3-4 itself that is the real problem. Hell Alabama and some NFL teams run a 3-4 and have ridiculously great run defense with it. But it works if you have the personal to make it work!! That is Mikes problem is he can't properly recruit the kind of players he needs to make it work. Not only that but didn't Mike essentially concede a couple of years ago when he went this route that he doesn't have the experience or background with a 3-4 and he would basically be learning as he goes?? How in the hell did Bob not hit the brakes on this??? God almighty it's frikin absurdity going on down in Norman!!!!

Are you meaning the 3-4 is the biggest problem? I don't think it's the 3-4 itself that is the real problem. Hell Alabama and some NFL teams run a 3-4 and have ridiculously great run defense with it. But it works if you have the personal to make it work!! That is Mikes problem is he can't properly recruit the kind of players he needs to make it work. Not only that but didn't Mike essentially concede a couple of years ago when he went this route that he doesn't have the experience or background with a 3-4 and he would basically be learning as he goes?? How in the hell did Bob not hit the brakes on this??? God almighty it's frikin absurdity going on down in Norman!!!!

There are many variations of the 3-4 defense. The 3-4 Stoops employs is what I'm speaking to.

I can't figure out why a head coach would put the kind of added pressure on himself by hiring his brother, son or father ........ At least not as a coordinator. There are other options and if their kin is worth a damn they have other opportunities.

The 'trust' factor I imagine. Asyou know, the Stoops family is all about coaching. It's what identifies them. Blood is thicker than... well you name it.

Man I hate to post this, but 7-6, maybe an 8-5 season would be the enima that flushes the blockage of waste.

There are many variations of the 3-4 defense. The 3-4 Stoops employs is what I'm speaking to.

A 3-4 that is more often a 3-3...

A small high school north of Dallas that won several State Championships used to employ a 10-1 defense... all out blitz, all the time, was the base scheme...

Reactions: BillyRay
I can't figure out why a head coach would put the kind of added pressure on himself by hiring his brother, son or father ........ At least not as a coordinator. There are other options and if their kin is worth a damn they have other opportunities.
I really think it's because Bob thought he could bring back the defensive success his program had in his early years by bringing his brother back. But this isn't the same league it was all those years ago before Mike left.

I really think it's because Bob thought he could bring back the defensive success his program had in his early years by bringing his brother back. But this isn't the same league it was all those years ago before Mike left.

Yeah, and why wasn't that apparent.

Obviously. He had seen those offenses...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT