ADVERTISEMENT

Time to FIRE Mike Stoops

WhyNotaSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2004
We've all watched the two beat downs this season already. No one fears this defense. No one. I just watched his post game interview, my God, the guy is completely lost. It's beyond pathetic.

Reactions: Sfenn3
We've all watched the two beat downs this season already. No one fears this defense. No one. I just watched his post game interview, my God, the guy is completely lost. It's beyond pathetic.
We have several more ass kicking some coming so be ready. Texas, K state, Baylor, Tech, and Okie Lite. I couldn't see us favored in any of them.

Through this melancholy hangover I agree.
Every team remaining on our schedule are just salivating for their chance to take us down.
Mighty Sooners...my azz.

Hopefully that will turn out to be in our favor. I don't see anyone in the conference that is unbeatable for even OU right now, but I don't expect a Sooner undefeated streak in conference play either. Damn I'd just settle for good, smart, hard play for 4 quarters the rest of the way this year and accept what happens.

Reactions: CTOkie

WNS

What did he say? I was to depressed to listen to his BS after this debacle. The rest of the season outside of games vs. KU and ISU are pure tossups and even a team like Tech will light up this defense.

I really hate saying this but 6-6 just might happen and if OU loses these next two games I think Bob will lose this team and quite possibly endure his first losing season.

I wonder how all of his appologist on this board will make excuses for that.

Part of OU's problems so far is the tough schedule, but the other part is poor coaching and poor play. Winning the Big 12 this year probably won't signal an Oklahoma resurgence as far as I'm concerned.....there's much more work to be done than that.

Two things Mike S. is incapable of game-planning or in-game adjusting to:

1. Slowing down the hot WR (this goes back to Rashaun Woods [twice], Dwayne Jarrett, Marty Gilyard, etc)

2. Slowing down a mobile QB. And even before our defensive attrition from last year, he had no answer vs. Clemson's Watson (or UT's Heard).

We will continue to face both of those offensive problems - as long as Bob keeps his bro around chalk teams that have either of those facets going for them as losses.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
WNS

What did he say? I was to depressed to listen to his BS after this debacle. The rest of the season outside of games vs. KU and ISU are pure tossups and even a team like Tech will light up this defense.

I really hate saying this but 6-6 just might happen and if OU loses these next two games I think Bob will lose this team and quite possibly endure his first losing season.

I wonder how all of his appologist on this board will make excuses for that.

It's premium material at this point, so I won't post it. I tried google but nothing found yet. You might check the local TV stations to OKC. Something might be up on their websites. He benched Austin, started Cobb, benched Cobb, played Quick and of course Quick has only been in the position for a few weeks. They absolutely have no CB opposite Thomas. He knows it, and every Coach in CFB knows it. But basically, it was his typical crap. His one comment that stood out was something of "the average fan won't understand" blah, blah, blah. This and he started each & every sentence, comment with a 'You know...". I think 172 times. He looked lost, acted lost. I predicted his demise a couple of years ago but Bob held off. He should have been let go w/ Huepel and just started a clean fresh start. But I still think that Bob thought it was too much at one time to fire both.

There is good news and bad news....
Good news - the 2017 recruiting class has a great set of kids coming in that are ranked currently in the Top 5.
Bad News - These same kids plus some for 2018 was in attendance last night. It was the largest recruiting visit for a home game in many, many, years. We can only hope they don't jump from this sinking ship. And because it is a very solid class so far, I don't expect Coaching changes until after the class signs in Feb, if at all. Now if we witness a sizable group of decommits before then, there would be no reason for Bob to keep Mike. BTW, last year's class IMO was very weak.

Verita & I nailed this game. I'll go on the record now and say that barring injuries of the Horns offensive playmakers, they throttle OU. Their defense is suspect, but their offense has to grinning ear to ear at the chance to rip apart the left side of the field.

"The way they play is not the way we play in this league..."

Were you not aware of that before the game?

No kidding. tOSU was putting 15 guys at a time out there, using two footballs, and brought their own refs. It really wasn't fair.

On a positive note; they were kind enough to run our new scoreboard through a full test cycle under live conditions.

No kidding. tOSU was putting 15 guys at a time out there, using two footballs, and brought their own refs. It really wasn't fair.

On a positive note; they were kind enough to run our new scoreboard through a full test cycle under live conditions.

Sombitch runs great.

It's premium material at this point, so I won't post it. I tried google but nothing found yet. You might check the local TV stations to OKC. Something might be up on their websites. He benched Austin, started Cobb, benched Cobb, played Quick and of course Quick has only been in the position for a few weeks. They absolutely have no CB opposite Thomas. He knows it, and every Coach in CFB knows it. But basically, it was his typical crap. His one comment that stood out was something of "the average fan won't understand" blah, blah, blah. This and he started each & every sentence, comment with a 'You know...". I think 172 times. He looked lost, acted lost. I predicted his demise a couple of years ago but Bob held off. He should have been let go w/ Huepel and just started a clean fresh start. But I still think that Bob thought it was too much at one time to fire both.

There is good news and bad news....
Good news - the 2017 recruiting class has a great set of kids coming in that are ranked currently in the Top 5.
Bad News - These same kids plus some for 2018 was in attendance last night. It was the largest recruiting visit for a home game in many, many, years. We can only hope they don't jump from this sinking ship. And because it is a very solid class so far, I don't expect Coaching changes until after the class signs in Feb, if at all. Now if we witness a sizable group of decommits before then, there would be no reason for Bob to keep Mike. BTW, last year's class IMO was very weak.

Verita & I nailed this game. I'll go on the record now and say that barring injuries of the Horns offensive playmakers, they throttle OU. Their defense is suspect, but their offense has to grinning ear to ear at the chance to rip apart the left side of the field.

Thanks WNS. I agree about Texas and any team that can throw the ball. Those teams that can pass downfield will be a chore for OU's secondary to contain. OU better score lots of points in those games.

Btw I am old school and never have liked these basketball like games in football. unfortunately the 45-35 games today we see is the norm.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
Sadly, I agree as this loss is 100% on Mike Stoops. Losing playmakers like Striker, Bond, Tapper, Sanchez and Dom Alexander was huge, but every team loses playmakers each year. So, I'm now wondering if it's the 3-4 defensive scheme that is the problem.

Watching them pound the rock and seeing our defense not being able to do a thing about it was the story of this game. They had 11 more minutes of possession and kept our D on the field all night long. Then, after stuffing the ball down our throat, they'd kill us with that fade pass to the same corner of the end zone on Cobb, Quick and our All-American, Jordan Thomas. We had no answer on that play, not to mention their running attack, which just wore us down, which was the key to their win.

Although we ran the ball well early in the game (see Houston), we had to abandon it and try to catch up through the air as we were down by three scores most of the night. We put up 400 yards of offense, but could not sustain drives, especially in the second half, which meant more time on the field for the D.

I still support Bob and the team, but my patience with Mike ended during the second quarter. There is still a lot of football left, but I don't expect the job Mike is doing will improve that much over the next few weeks as we face TCU and texass and the rest of the B12. It's going to be a very bumpy ride the rest of the way and we might be looking at 6-6 or worse at this rate.

In my opinion the offense didn't get it done either. Texas fans and media want to fire Bedford. The Texas offense got it done at Cal. Defense scheme could be wrong for the talent we have. Bob was a defensive coordinator previously. You would think that would help. Bedford runs the defense, but Charlie was the architect of this scheme and they always ran it. So maybe it's hard to fire your defensive coordinator of the head coach's desired scheme. Charlie will throw Bedford under the bus if that's what his AD and boosters want. Bob's probably would not. So who knows what we need really? Hopefully the recruits see this as an opportunity to play early.

Sadly, I agree as this loss is 100% on Mike Stoops. Losing playmakers like Striker, Bond, Tapper, Sanchez and Dom Alexander was huge, but every team loses playmakers each year. So, I'm now wondering if it's the 3-4 defensive scheme that is the problem.

Watching them pound the rock and seeing our defense not being able to do a thing about it was the story of this game. They had 11 more minutes of possession and kept our D on the field all night long. Then, after stuffing the ball down our throat, they'd kill us with that fade pass to the same corner of the end zone on Cobb, Quick and our All-American, Jordan Thomas. We had no answer on that play, not to mention their running attack, which just wore us down, which was the key to their win.

Although we ran the ball well early in the game (see Houston), we had to abandon it and try to catch up through the air as we were down by three scores most of the night. We put up 400 yards of offense, but could not sustain drives, especially in the second half, which meant more time on the field for the D.

I still support Bob and the team, but my patience with Mike ended during the second quarter. There is still a lot of football left, but I don't expect the job Mike is doing will improve that much over the next few weeks as we face TCU and texass and the rest of the B12. It's going to be a very bumpy ride the rest of the way and we might be looking at 6-6 or worse at this rate.

Urban Meyer coached Florida team ran for 249 yards on the then Brent Venables coached defense for the NC in 2008... His OSU team ran for 291... I give Meyer a lot of credit without a doubt. IMO he's the best coach in college football. Saban a close second. That doesn't excuse the defense we saw Saturday night. That was pathetic.

And while I wasn't happy with the offense, there was a difference how Riley addressed it post game as compared to Mike. He took responsibility. He didn't make excuses. And Mayfield, he said it very simply, "We got our asses kicked."

I'm not 100% sure the 3-4 is the absolute problem. I really think it's more of a LB issue. But I have definitely found myself wishing Mike would play 4 DL to stiffen the front a bit. So dunno...maybe it's an issue of both the 3-4 AND the LBs.

What the hell did he mean?
The other worldly alien offenses they play in Ohio?
Geez...

I wondered that myself... WTF??? He runs the same hard to stop spread style offense he has used since he was at Bowling Green... The system used at Houston is the same... Yet, he doesn't seem to recall getting thumped by it in the opener. Is he going to say texASS runs a different offense that he isn't used to as well? Regardless, there is no excuse for DB's to never look for the ball. Are they not taught that?

I agree Mike Stoops needs to go but my bigger concern has been the recruiting quagmire we have been in the last 10 years or so on defense.

We have gotten some good kids but not the Roy Williams, Brian Bosworth, Teddy Lehman, Derrick Strait type kids who are your playmakers and lift the efforts of others up.

If this last recruiting class was as good as most think, let's play them and know that, with the class we have coming next year, we will have a young, hungry team that will grow together and give us 2-3 years of powerhouse football.

But can our coaches get the most out of these kids? I know it is a different era, but it seemed liked Switzer and staff almost ALWAYS got the best out of the kids he recruited. I wonder if the majority of our staff can do that?

Just so much can be said and written about this but I have decided life is too short to piss and moan about a football season. I'm just going to enjoy the team we have win or lose.

I agree Mike Stoops needs to go but my bigger concern has been the recruiting quagmire we have been in the last 10 years or so on defense.

We have gotten some good kids but not the Roy Williams, Brian Bosworth, Teddy Lehman, Derrick Strait type kids who are your playmakers and lift the efforts of others up.

If this last recruiting class was as good as most think, let's play them and know that, with the class we have coming next year, we will have a young, hungry team that will grow together and give us 2-3 years of powerhouse football.

But can our coaches get the most out of these kids? I know it is a different era, but it seemed liked Switzer and staff almost ALWAYS got the best out of the kids he recruited. I wonder if the majority of our staff can do that?

Just so much can be said and written about this but I have decided life is too short to piss and moan about a football season. I'm just going to enjoy the team we have win or lose.

I get that.
When we lost to LSU for the title, something snapped.
Ever since I've managed to keep a healthier perspective about it all.
No more languishing in abject pity for this fan. ;)

Reactions: Patriotgame
I get that.
When we lost to LSU for the title, something snapped.
Ever since I've managed to keep a healthier perspective about it all.
No more languishing in abject pity for this fan. ;)

You guys keep referencing that LSU game, but at least we were in that game and probably had a good chance of winning it.
Watch this pass to Kejuan Jones that was just maybe 2 feet too long and would have tied the game. If you recall, we had momentum too and would have probably won in overtime. I went back a few seconds to include the Louisiana dancers as well. Always thinking about you guys.

And take note of what was said at this point, "this team is showing the heart of Bob Stoops' favorite athlete, Mohammad Ali, they're getting off the mat and finishing this game."
Can that be said of Bob Stoops teams lately?

You guys keep referencing that LSU game, but at least we were in that game and probably had a good chance of winning it.
Watch this pass to Kejuan Jones that was just maybe 2 feet too long and would have tied the game. If you recall, we had momentum too and would have probably won in overtime. I went back a few seconds to include the Louisiana dancers as well. Always thinking about you guys.

And take note of what was said at this point, "this team is showing the heart of Bob Stoops' favorite athlete, Mohammad Ali, they're getting off the mat and finishing this game."
Can that be said of Bob Stoops teams lately?

Agreed...I was at that game and LSU was on the ropes. For some reason we get down to the 9 running the ball and decide to throw 4 plays in a row...

Agree, but it's a delicate balance in playing the redshirted freshman and true freshmen and putting the team in position to play for the Big 12 championship....for whatever that's worth theses days.
OU has played Kendall, Adams, and Jones on offense (3).....and played Kelly, Cobb, Motley, Jackson, Terry (I think he has played), and Bledsoe on defense (6)....that's 9 of the 15 player 2016 recruiting class getting playing time. That leaves Swenson, Farrar and Roberson to redshirt on offense and only Chance Sylvie (have yet to see him) to redshirt on defense.....a total of only 4. (Youngquist and Hardy are no longer at OU).
By these numbers, Stoops is playing the bulk of his true freshman class and redshirting only 4. There is good talent here and if OU can retain its 2017 class, there is some quality help coming.
None of these factors can have traction until OU starts winning big games and bowl games....and right now doing this seems difficult. Winning the Big 12 is a nice achievement, but that's now a much lower ceiling than it's ever been because the conference is so mediocre.
Certainly agree also that "life is to short to piss and moan about a football season"....but good luck with the effort to " enjoy the team we have win or lose". I can do the first one, can't do the second one....at least right now.

Reactions: Patriotgame
I'm not 100% sure the 3-4 is the absolute problem. I really think it's more of a LB issue. But I have definitely found myself wishing Mike would play 4 DL to stiffen the front a bit. So dunno...maybe it's an issue of both the 3-4 AND the LBs.

I think we need to run a 5-4-3 and be done with it.

It's hard to believe that this is the same Mike Stoops that fielded all those revered defenses in the early 2000's. Then again, maybe it was mostly the genius of BrentV that made all that possible all those years ago, and Mike's input was minimal.

Mike coached the secondary, of which he could make no adjustment vs. Rashaun Woods [twice], Dwayne Jarrett in the NC game vs USC, etc. Can we just stick a double team on the hot WR having a career day and be done with it instead of musical chairs of inept corners on an island?

The problem is we all know what position Bob played, which makes his inability to fix his brother's shortcomings in the secondary all the more disturbing. I almost miss Bobby Proctor.

Venables coached LBs - how many stud LBs did we have under him?

Having said all that: at least 90% of you blamed Venables for everything and clamored for Mike's return. Be careful for what you wish for....

Reactions: Oklabama
Mike coached the secondary, of which he could make no adjustment vs. Rashaun Woods [twice], Dwayne Jarrett in the NC game vs USC, etc. Can we just stick a double team on the hot WR having a career day and be done with it instead of musical chairs of inept corners on an island?

The problem is we all know what position Bob played, which makes his inability to fix his brother's shortcomings in the secondary all the more disturbing. I almost miss Bobby Proctor.

Venables coached LBs - how many stud LBs did we have under him?

Having said all that: at least 90% of you blamed Venables for everything and clamored for Mike's return. Be careful for what you wish for....

This is true. I remember making the post that bringing on Mike Stoops was the beginning of the end of the Bob Stoops era. It took a while longer than I suspected, but I suspect that going forward there will be pressure mounting as the season unfolds. Hopefully he'll just step aside and resign for his brother's sake.

So tell me.... Who would you like to replace Mike with?? As the year goes on you will find out OU has a really good D.

Yep... they had the best LBs in CFB last year... right? LOL
But to answer your question, I have no idea. I'm sure there is a short list somewhere tucked into Bob Stoop's dresser drawer. I imagine someone has a short list of HCs somewhere as well.

Reactions: BillyRay
"The way they play is not the way we play in this league..."

Were you not aware of that before the game?

The way we play is not how they play in their league either. He's full of crap. You can't have a DB, 185 lb (guessing) will Johnson, setting the edge vs the run. It doesn't add up. Striker was really to small for that olb position but he was ferocious.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
The best thing for both Mike and Bob, if the defensive play continues, is for them to quietly agree Mike take another Coordinator job someplace else. Being brothers, Mike staying with his Defense getting run over, it will just bring far more pressure to both men and the fan base will continue to get angrier and angrier.

Then watch, Bob will bring in his brother Mark as Coordinator after Kentucky fires him at the end of this season hahaha

Yep... they had the best LBs in CFB last year... right? LOL
But to answer your question, I have no idea. I'm sure there is a short list somewhere tucked into Bob Stoop's dresser drawer. I imagine someone has a short list of HCs somewhere as well.
Not sure why some posters on here act as if anyone who questions the coaches should have a list of candidates that should be on JoeC's hiring list. That's not up to the posters on this board to have names ready in case Bob sends coaches packing. That's what Bob Stoops gets paid the money he does. It's his job.

We're going to see which is more important to Bob. He's in an unenviable position of choosing family loyalty or getting this program back on track. Obviously, it's the danger/downside of hiring your brother as one of your first line lieutenants.

In two famous quotes of Michael Corleone "you're dead to me now" or "it's not personal, it's business" (pick one).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT