ADVERTISEMENT

The last time we played Bama

They've won the national title 5 of the past 9 years. Something tells me that their fans are okay with it. And so would OU's if they had done the same.

All I know is we kicked their asses that night and made women, kids, and some men cry. I'm good w/ that.
I would still trade that night for what Bama's done since then though. ;)

Well duh! Who wouldn't? But we kicked their ass that night. That was some fun shit and totally unexpected.

The funny tho is most bama fans will tell you their team did not show up, even had a few arkie fans tell me that we only won because bama did not show up. The other day a bama fan told me bama will destroy us. I said just like they did in the Sugar Bowl? His response, we wanted to be playing for the National Title not a Sugar Bowl Trophy and then went on to say that OU's biggest accomplishment in years and years was beating bama and that OU hangs its hat on beating a bama team that did not want to be there and didn't show up to play.
Cannot recall how many people told me before that game, even family members that are fans of other schools that bama was going to clean our clocks. After the game I brought it up what they said to me and right on cue, oh bama didn't show up to play. When you beat an sec team thats always the excuse they give, but every other day of the week they are the best teams in the best conference in America.
My own sister had a Meme of Bob Stoops that said "Running your mouth aout the SEC and finding out you get Bama in the Sugar Bowl!"
I brought up that on her fb page after the game and she unfriended me lol and she is not even a bama fan.

That's SEC shit talk. They are already lining up excuses for a potential loss. If they lose you can expect to hear that they only lost because Tua was not 100%. Watch this play out.

Last edited:
There’s one thing for damn sure, whenever OU plays a SEC team it gets exciting real quick especially when it’s against Alabama. I’d love to have an annual SEC non-conference game on the schedule. That would be sweet. The Tennessee home and away was a terrific series.

There’s one thing for damn sure, whenever OU plays a SEC team it gets exciting real quick especially when it’s against Alabama. I’d love to have an annual SEC non-conference game on the schedule. That would be sweet. The Tennessee home and away was a terrific series.
They come to Norman year after next, fwiw (return game in Knoxville is in '24)

Reactions: iasooner1
OU plays in OOC: (TBD are other non-conference games "to be determined")
2019...Houston, So. Dakota, UCLA
2020...Missouri State , Tennessee, Army
2021...Nebraska and Tulane, TBD
2022...UTEP, Nebraska, TBD
2023....TBD
2024....Temple, Tennessee, Tulane
2025.....Michigan, Temple, TBD
2026.....Michigan, TBD
2027...LSU, TBD
2028...Temple, LSU
2029....Nebraska, TBD
2030...Nebraska, TBD
Note much enamored with South Dakota State and Missouri State, but that seems to be what every powerhouse team does. There will still be sellout crowds for these dwarf throwing jamborees.

I don't buy the position that Bama wasn't up for the Sugar Bowl because they were disappointed in not playing for the MNC. They sure looked into it when they came out and scored in four plays. Spin how you want, but Bama got their butts whipped and it was not because they weren't up for the game. I liked Stoops's comment that his players were disappointed too in not playing for the MNC, but were ready to play and win the Sugar Bowl.

I don't buy the position that Bama wasn't up for the Sugar Bowl because they were disappointed in not playing for the MNC. They sure looked into it when they came out and scored in four plays. Spin how you want, but Bama got their butts whipped and it was not because they weren't up for the game. I liked Stoops's comment that his players were disappointed too in not playing for the MNC, but were ready to play and win the Sugar Bowl.
Scoring in 4 plays really don't show me much. I'm sure the players wanted to win the game. But how did they prepare after having their national title goal ended? How much heart and desire did they put into getting ready for the game? I'm sure they decided they wanted to win the day they showed up to play. I'm sure this is what Saban was alluding to when he said what he said after the game.

In the end it really doesn't matter. OU won the game. Since then, Bama has just went back winning national titles, and OU's ceiling has been dominating the Big XII. OU needs to beat teams like Bama when a national title is on the line. Beating them in lesser bowls really does nothing to knock down the perception of Bama.

OU plays in OOC: (TBD are other non-conference games "to be determined")
2019...Houston, So. Dakota, UCLA

The reason we had to sweat out the CFB playoffs this year as we had no marquee out of conference game, with UCLA being woeful. That slate is even worse, since none of those is going to have a run like Army.

Houston is likely going to be down next year, so unless Kelly works his magic at UCLA another year with practically no margin for error (getting revenge on UT as our only loss this year was essentially a demerit erased).

The reason we had to sweat out the CFB playoffs this year as we had no marquee out of conference game, with UCLA being woeful. That slate is even worse, since none of those is going to have a run like Army.

Houston is likely going to be down next year, so unless Kelly works his magic at UCLA another year with practically no margin for error (getting revenge on UT as our only loss this year was essentially a demerit erased).
With no Kyler Murray and a weaker schedule OU will be challenged to run the table and win ESPN over for post season playoff consideration. Plus the defensive culture will be in a rebuilding mode from the coaches on down.

Reactions: Schoonerman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT