ADVERTISEMENT

The 2017 recruiting class regarding defensive backs

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
In my opinion, Stoops may be bringing in his best ever defensive backs haul, especially if Kamren Curl commits this coming Thursday, 1/19.
Broiles, Barnes and Brown are all 4-star recruits and Curl looks to be deciding between OU and Arkansas coming down the home stretch. Texas, Nebraska, TCU, Baylor and Ole Miss are also chasing him, but word has it that Arkansas and OU have the inside track.
Curl's film is very impressive and he plays as if he was born to be a defensive back.....in my layman opinion. I don't know how he compares to the other three DB commitments and he has a 3-star rated player so maybe he's not as good.....but Aaron Colvin, another 3-star player, turned out to be an excellent cornerback in the 2010 class.
The DB class without Curl is excellent, but Curl would be a nice addition.

Curl is very unlikely to be a Sooner. But it still has a chance to be a great class. Word is that they have parted ways. Likely one more DB will be sought, on a first come, first serve basis. They'd likely prefer two more DL's, also. One or two might be guys offered in 2017.

Reactions: iasooner1
Austin Faoliu looks like the other DT for this class. The boy from Houston, Wilson, looks to be LSU bound.
If Curl joins OU, that will bring 3 of the 4 DB's in the 2017 class from in-state. The Oklahoman claims OU is still in the hunt for him.

I like the DB's we signed and have committed. I think our biggest needs are the Dlineman. I really hope the Stoops brothers watched the Venables interview, where he talked about the difference in philosophies between him and the Stoops brothers. Venables wants a great front 7 and the Stoops brothers are the back 7.

It ALL starts up front. You can be the best DB in the world and a WR will get open given enough time. We didn't sign a DT last year and this year we have missed out on all the Top rated guys. The 3 star kid out of AZ looks promising

Obviously the defensive line recruiting at this late stage of the recruiting season is priority one for OU and I believe Faoliu will end up at OU to go with McKinney. Beyond those two I'm not sure a third defense tackle can be had.
So if Curl can be had, let's get him. Curl and Faoliu would be a good closing for the 2017 class.

Last edited:
I will feel better about all the 4-star players committed/signed in the 2017 class when they actually produce on the field. Right now this class has tons of potential. Let's see if the potential turns into realistic production on the football field.
Agree.....but it's nice knowing that 12 of the new recruits are already enrolled and will go through spring drills. By September, that will pay off big time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT