ADVERTISEMENT

texASS hires tOSU's Beck as OC...

Although I laughed when I read this, I think Kevin Wilson might not be a bad fit in Columbus. He coaches a pretty wide open style of offense and I remember them setting some records at OU and having some pretty good offenses at Indiana (terrible defenses too). Although JT Barrett isn't the best passer (despite his four TDs vs. OU), but he could be pretty effective in a Kevin Wilson offense.

Good hire for Ohio State. Tim Beck is a former OC at Nebraska as well, and his offenses have never scared me.

It's an elbow-rubbing profession. I haven't read the timelines, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a, "take him off my hands," scenario after that abysmal performance.
Very possible. I had been led to believe the Ohio State dismal performance was due to losing an offensive lineman early... :oops::oops::oops:

Reactions: iasooner1
It might just be me, but the track record of installing a different offense with incumbent starters (especially QB) and having overnight success seems ugly.

Will tOSU be clicking with Wilson calling the plays when OU rolls into town?

UT's offense was already terrible with Bobby Boucher running it, so I guess the only way is up.

Meyer didn't fire Beck. Herman hired him while he was still employed.

The reality is that both co-OCs Beck and Warriner were being forced out of their OC positions.

There are a bunch of pi$$ed off people in Columbus. OSU had a championship type defense the last two years and a high school type offense that was led by co-OCs Beck and Warriner. Neither were even close to OC type coaches. Urban has a 2-year agreement with his assistants or I think he would have removed both from their positions last year. It was Beck that was up in the booth by himself calling the shots for the disastrous MSU upset last year. Warriner was a he!! of a OL coach and was ready to leave so Meyer promoted him to OC - huge mistake. And the real key was the regression of JT Barrett over the last couple of years. Guess who the QB coach was: yep Beck. I have a feeling whoever is hired as the OC for next year will be more in tune with the power-read option that OSU is known for and you'll see Barrett shine again. Right now it sounds like it might be Kevin Wilson who absolutely loves Barrett and called him the best QB in the country when he was still HC at Indiana. But the real blame should be squarely on Urban - he just waited too long to make a change. I know this sounds strange, but the majority of OSU fans (and probably the staff) consider both 2015 (record 12-1) and 2016 (11-2) to be disasters mostly due to the offensive side and vow it will not happen again.

Reactions: veritas59
And the real key was the regression of JT Barrett over the last couple of years. Guess who the QB coach was: yep Beck.

But the real blame should be squarely on Urban - he just waited too long to make a change. I know this sounds strange, but the majority of OSU fans (and probably the staff) consider both 2015 (record 12-1) and 2016 (11-2) to be disasters mostly due to the offensive side and vow it will not happen again.
In regard to Beck being a play calling OC/QB coach, I would present him with the Josh Heupel award. Position coaches who are in the booth don't fair well very often. Heupel was great with QB's before he became the play calling OC...

While you might say going 23-3 in two seasons is a disaster, I seriously would like to know, what have you been smoking?

Meyer is 61-6 at Ohio State. He should have 2 NC's there (2012 & 2014). What will happen if you lose 3 games? Should you lose to OU, Michigan, and a bowl game, are you going to call for his head? Tressel went 106-22 on the field, lost more than one game in 7 of his 10 seasons, are two losses unacceptable at Ohio State now?

Seriously, tOSU ranked 128 of 128 coming into the season in experience, and 11-2 with a playoff is not good enough?

In regard to Beck being a play calling OC/QB coach, I would present him with the Josh Heupel award. Position coaches who are in the booth don't fair well very often. Heupel was great with QB's before he became the play calling OC...

While you might say going 23-3 in two seasons is a disaster, I seriously would like to know, what have you been smoking?

Meyer is 61-6 at Ohio State. He should have 2 NC's there (2012 & 2014). What will happen if you lose 3 games? Should you lose to OU, Michigan, and a bowl game, are you going to call for his head? Tressel went 106-22 on the field, lost more than one game in 7 of his 10 seasons, are two losses unacceptable at Ohio State now?

Seriously, tOSU ranked 128 of 128 coming into the season in experience, and 11-2 with a playoff is not good enough?

If you reread my post, I'm echoing the feelings of a big part of the OSU fan base and the coaching staff. If you lived in Columbus and saw the interviews after the Clemson fiasco from not only the players but coaching staff, you would know where I'm coming from. And no, there's is no way I'd trade Urban for ANY other coach in CF including Saban who is now 65 (Urban is still only 51). Urban was totally pi$$ed (and probably embarrassed) during the interviews after the Clemson game and vowed that would never happen again.

As for the blame being pointed at Urban part of my post, I was referring to the retaining of the 2 stooges (Beck and Warinner) as co-OCs. My point: nobody is perfect but you can see Urban reshuffling and nudging assistants out the door as I'm writing this. He has always been an admirer of Kevin Wilson offenses and has stated so every time OSU has played Indiana in the past and the word now is that Wilson will be the next OC at OSU. Mistakes were made and he's rectifying them. I never want to sound like some of the Michigan/Harbaugh fan base who think that his $hit doesn't stink and will never say anything negative about him no matter how many OSU games he blows (up 17-7 with the ball, late in the 3rd quarter). Guess what, the HC is the boss and should take responsibility for the results of his team - good or bad.

And you're exactly right about this year's OSU team being dead last in experience. Actually, the offense just never made any positive strides forward throughout the year which was very disappointing and probably one of the reasons many fans consider 2016 to be "a disaster."

Just have a feeling that 2017 will be a special year for OSU IF THEY GET THE OFFENSIVE PROBLEMS FIGURED OUT. Something tells me they will.

If you reread my post, I'm echoing the feelings of a big part of the OSU fan base and the coaching staff. If you lived in Columbus and saw the interviews after the Clemson fiasco from not only the players but coaching staff, you would know where I'm coming from. And no, there's is no way I'd trade Urban for ANY other coach in CF including Saban who is now 65 (Urban is still only 51). Urban was totally pi$$ed (and probably embarrassed) during the interviews after the Clemson game and vowed that would never happen again.

As for the blame being pointed at Urban part of my post, I was referring to the retaining of the 2 stooges (Beck and Warinner) as co-OCs. My point: nobody is perfect but you can see Urban reshuffling and nudging assistants out the door as I'm writing this. He has always been an admirer of Kevin Wilson offenses and has stated so every time OSU has played Indiana in the past and the word now is that Wilson will be the next OC at OSU. Mistakes were made and he's rectifying them. I never want to sound like some of the Michigan/Harbaugh fan base who think that his $hit doesn't stink and will never say anything negative about him no matter how many OSU games he blows (up 17-7 with the ball, late in the 3rd quarter). Guess what, the HC is the boss and should take responsibility for the results of his team - good or bad.

And you're exactly right about this year's OSU team being dead last in experience. Actually, the offense just never made any positive strides forward throughout the year which was very disappointing and probably one of the reasons many fans consider 2016 to be "a disaster."

Just have a feeling that 2017 will be a special year for OSU IF THEY GET THE OFFENSIVE PROBLEMS FIGURED OUT. Something tells me they will.

We've had OUr fair share of Clemson fiascos as well...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT