ADVERTISEMENT

Terrifiic Tom...

Senior Sooner

Sooner starter
Dec 1, 2003
Just Watch Me! :cool:

16640747_631029587088548_8640785151255470263_n.jpg

Loved the comeback for all his haters...and there are many. Greatest quarterback of all time.

Tough for Atlanta. Wouldn't have been upset had they won but it was hilarious to see all those miserable schlubs who were just rooting for the Falcons cause they hate the Patriots.

By that line of reasoning, then Otto Graham was the greatest ever. Ten straight title games.
I believe that championship rings outweigh stats in judging NFL quarterbacks.....especially in THIS era of football. Otto Graham is legendary, but he played in a time when pro football was virtually all-white.
Note: I'm not a Patriots fan, nor a fan of any Boston team.
You, Plaino, don't believe Derek Jeter is Hall of Fame worthy and that Bill Mazeroski is....and you're putting down my "line of reasoning" ? (I have no problem with Mazeroski's place in the HOF, nor do I believe Jeter is the greatest SS of all time. I think both are HOF worthy).
Your "line of reasoning" always seems to be based on what players or teams you dislike.

Last edited:
I believe that championship rings outweigh stats in judging NFL quarterbacks.....especially in THIS era of football. Otto Graham is legendary, but he played in a time when pro football was virtually all-white.
Note: I'm not a Patriots fan, nor a fan of any Boston team.
You, Plaino, don't believe Derek Jeter is Hall of Fame worthy and that Bill Mazeroski is....and you're putting down my "line of reasoning" ? (I have no problem with Mazeroski's place in the HOF, nor do I believe Jeter is the greatest SS of all time. I think both are HOF worthy).
Your "line of reasoning" always seems to be based on what players or teams you dislike.
I think Jeter was the most overrated player ever. But I recognize he was more worthy than Maz.

The thing about Otto, when he played, the game was less, uh, legislated. And the didnt have 30 perfect footballs on sidelines for replacing the on the got a little wet. The field mostly had baseball diamonds somewhere to navigate, especially his home field.

And the protective equipment didn't protect much. Most of his career, no face masks. And 33 player rosters, so you sucked it up and played every snap.

Reactions: iasooner1
Montana is my favorite pro QB in spite of Brady's deeds.
His Cotton Bowl heroics at Notre Dame vs Houston in 1979 was a clutch performance for the ages. His pro exploits are too numerous to mention, but I loved his pass to Dwight Clark that beat Dallas in the 1982 playoffs.
As for Jeter, I saw most of his games over a 17 year career and there's no way he was overrated. Stick to football, Plaino.

Reactions: tjc8214
Yeah, and the NFL in Montana's time was a lot tougher to navigate than the AFC is these days. But it is remarkable in the days of frequent player movement that a guy like Brady could have a complete turnover in surrounding personnel twice in his career, and won Super Bowls with three different groups, the only thing constant being him and his HC.

I never really pulled for the Patriots before Sunday, but found myself drawn to their pursuit of excellence. And around the end of the third quarter, they caught up with it, yet again.

Yeah, and the NFL in Montana's time was a lot tougher to navigate than the AFC is these days. But it is remarkable in the days of frequent player movement that a guy like Brady could have a complete turnover in surrounding personnel twice in his career, and won Super Bowls with three different groups, the only thing constant being him and his HC.

I never really pulled for the Patriots before Sunday, but found myself drawn to their pursuit of excellence. And around the end of the third quarter, they caught up with it, yet again.
With regard to Derek Jeter. His numbers are as follows:
3456 hits, 310 lifetime BA, 377 lifetime OBP,
976 F%
Post season - 308 BA, 374 OBP, World Series
BA 321
Yea Plaino, these numbers are certainly not HOF worthy.

976 F%
BA 321
I said he was worthy of the HoF. But he also played in an era when Yankee hitters hit with postage stamp strike zones. And got every break on calls, like the homer that won a playoff game, that should have been an out for fan interference.

Montana played when there were 28 teams in pro ball, 4 less than there are now.....the talent was not as diluted as it is now, so the league was stronger.

Bellacheat and/or Bradey are going to DC where one or the other Will accept the honorary title of Sec of Offense that the King passed on before Nov 8, as demonstrated by their pre-election proclivities.

976 F%
BA 321

Im with Plaino on this, but I thought he was overrated because I just didnt like the SOB no reasoning other than that LOL...he was a good all around baseball player but OZZIE was the best SS in the game ever IMO... But Jeter was in NY if he would have played in Milwaukee or SD the media wouldn't have his jock lint still all over their facial hair.

As for Brady and Montana and you have to include Bradshaw you have to admit Montana and Bradshaw probably had the better overall teams so I hate Brady but I have much respect for him being one of the All time greats if not THE Best

The one thing I do like about Brady......Gisele

I said he was worthy of the HoF. But he also played in an era when Yankee hitters hit with postage stamp strike zones. And got every break on calls, like the homer that won a playoff game, that should have been an out for fan interference.
Yankees' hitters of the early Jeter years were patient, with good strike zone discipline and took counts deep which either netted a walk or hit, or at least made pitchers throw more pitches.
The non-home run call in the 1996 playoffs with Baltimore (game 1), on a ball caught in play by a 12 year old boy, was a blown call for sure. It appeared the ball may have been caught. As a Yankees fan.....and even more as a baseball fan.....what 12-year old Jeffrey Maier did was ruin the game for me, even though the Yankees won. That blown call allowed the Yankees to tie the game and to win it in extra innings, but to say it cost Baltimore a championship is pure speculation as it happened in the first game of that playoff series.
But in an age without replay, such blunders by umpires were allowed to stand.....like the blown call at first base by umpire Don Dinkinger in the 1985 Series that ultimately lost the Series for the Cardinals.
The 1996 Yankees and 1985 Royals benefited by umpire blunders.

Im with Plaino on this, but I thought he was overrated because I just didnt like the SOB no reasoning other than that LOL...he was a good all around baseball player but OZZIE was the best SS in the game ever IMO... But Jeter was in NY if he would have played in Milwaukee or SD the media wouldn't have his jock lint still all over their facial hair.

As for Brady and Montana and you have to include Bradshaw you have to admit Montana and Bradshaw probably had the better overall teams so I hate Brady but I have much respect for him being one of the All time greats if not THE Best

Jeter was never the best SS ever and no other shortstop was as great defensively as Ozzie Smith.
Having watched him from AA ball through his Yankees' career, Jeter is still a worthy HOF player. It is Jeter's consistency and clutch play (offensively and defensively) that is his legacy.
Stating Jeter is overrated reflects a lack of baseball knowledge, or a hatred for the one team he played for, or both.
I understand the "hatred" of sports teams It's usually accompanied by the success of the hated teams. I never have found many Padres haters.

The ONLY Thing I DO NOT LIKE about Brady...Gisele! :p

Jeter was never the best SS ever and no other shortstop was as great defensively as Ozzie Smith.
Having watched him from AA ball through his Yankees' career, Jeter is still a worthy HOF player. It is Jeter's consistency and clutch play (offensively and defensively) that is his legacy.
Stating Jeter is overrated reflects a lack of baseball knowledge, or a hatred for the one team he played for, or both.
I understand the "hatred" of sports teams It's usually accompanied by the success of the hated teams. I never have found many Padres haters.

Didnt say he wasnt worthy of HOF i just thought he was overrated because i just didnt like him nothing to do with baseball skills..lol

I know baseball well enough...

I loved Don Mattingly, Dave Parker, Munson, Guidrey, Jackson...the old yankees era...went to many Rangers games just to see those guys.

Last edited:
Didnt say he wasnt worthy of HOF i just thought he was overrated because i just didnt like him nothing to do with baseball skills..lol

I loved Don Mattingly, Dave Parker, Musson, Guidrey, Jackson...the old yankees era...went to many Rangers games just to see those guys.
He's overrated because you didn't like him. Okay.

Reactions: jd1025
Relax Senior. We all know a specimen such as her require more upkeep than the common man can only dream of ever seeing and that true beauty is within. Take away her daily physical trainers, hair and make-up staff and especially every stitch of unending array of wardrobe (please) and she'll be subject to gravity and years like us all...

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Yankees' hitters of the early Jeter years were patient, with good strike zone discipline and took counts deep which either netted a walk or hit, or at least made pitchers throw more pitches.
The non-home run call in the 1996 playoffs with Baltimore (game 1), on a ball caught in play by a 12 year old boy, was a blown call for sure. It appeared the ball may have been caught. As a Yankees fan.....and even more as a baseball fan.....what 12-year old Jeffrey Maier did was ruin the game for me, even though the Yankees won. That blown call allowed the Yankees to tie the game and to win it in extra innings, but to say it cost Baltimore a championship is pure speculation as it happened in the first game of that playoff series.
But in an age without replay, such blunders by umpires were allowed to stand.....like the blown call at first base by umpire Don Dinkinger in the 1985 Series that ultimately lost the Series for the Cardinals.

Well you can believe that. But it wasn't about patience. it was about different strike zones for their batters and their pitchers. It went away, finally, for two reasons. It mostly came to an end when MLB got rid of American League umpires and National League umpires, and went to one designation of Major League umpires. The Yankees have won one World Series, since. Thank God for interleague play.

That also got rid of umpires like Doug Harvey, the top seeded umpire in the NL, giving deference to senior circuit teams in All Star and World Series games. And he left, when he couldn't be a exclusive NL umpire any more.

The other thing is technology. The umpires couldn't get away with their strike zone biases when they started posted strike zone squares on tv. Thank God for technology.

When you go back and watch pitches that Jeter took called balls, while opponents consistently got called out on the same pitch, it was pretty disgusting if you weren't a Yankee fan.

I suppose you'll also defend Richie Garcia's call of home run, when every person watching on tv could see that the kid reached over and took the Jeter's 310 foot fly ball away from the Oriole outfielder. I also believe that in another playoff game, though Giambi should have slid, that he still barely beat the throw. But against the Yankees in Yankee Stadium in that time frame, you were never going to get that call. And of course, Jeter has been lionized for the backhand relay throw ever since.

It's easy to be patient when you get a tight strike zone at the plate. Remind me of the time when the Yankees got screwed in an important before the uniting of umpiring crews to one league. It happened to their opponents a lot, in important games, and at other times.

It doesn't affect balls and strikes, but replay has helped even more, but that's very recent.

I loved Don Mattingly, Dave Parker, Musson, Guidrey, Jackson...the old yankees era...went to many Rangers games just to see those guys.

I loved Don Mattingly, Dave Parker, Munson, Guidrey, Jackson...the old yankees era...went to many Rangers games just to see those guys.

Wow, the more modern way to determine whether a player is over rated! It has nothing to do with skills, stats, or accomplishments. If you don't like the SOB he is overrated. You need to join the idiots who didn't vote for Terrell (sp?) Owens for the NFL Hall of fame. And I hate that SOB. He celebrated his touchdown against the Cowboys by running to mid field and standing on the star. Then Cowboy safety George Teague leveled his useless useless ass. I love that moment. But he deserves based on his performance on the field to be a hall of famer. If phone booths still existed I would suggest that you and Plano have a meeting of all the people in the world that think Derek Jeter is over rated or not HOF worthy. If Keith Olberman could fit in there it might be full.

Well you can believe that. But it wasn't about patience. it was about different strike zones for their batters and their pitchers. It went away, finally, for two reasons. It mostly came to an end when MLB got rid of American League umpires and National League umpires, and went to one designation of Major League umpires. The Yankees have won one World Series, since. Thank God for interleague play.

That also got rid of umpires like Doug Harvey, the top seeded umpire in the NL, giving deference to senior circuit teams in All Star and World Series games. And he left, when he couldn't be a exclusive NL umpire any more.

The other thing is technology. The umpires couldn't get away with their strike zone biases when they started posted strike zone squares on tv. Thank God for technology.

When you go back and watch pitches that Jeter took called balls, while opponents consistently got called out on the same pitch, it was pretty disgusting if you weren't a Yankee fan.

I suppose you'll also defend Richie Garcia's call of home run, when every person watching on tv could see that the kid reached over and took the Jeter's 310 foot fly ball away from the Oriole outfielder. I also believe that in another playoff game, though Giambi should have slid, that he still barely beat the throw. But against the Yankees in Yankee Stadium in that time frame, you were never going to get that call. And of course, Jeter has been lionized for the backhand relay throw ever since.

It's easy to be patient when you get a tight strike zone at the plate. Remind me of the time when the Yankees got screwed in an important before the uniting of umpiring crews to one league. It happened to their opponents a lot, in important games, and at other times.

It doesn't affect balls and strikes, but replay has helped even more, but that's very recent.
Get your facts straight you

Get your facts straight . Jeter's play on Giambi happened in Oakland not Yankee Stadium. All your useless bull shit about the Yankees getting preferential calls by the umpires is nothing more than the delusional ramblings of a Yankee hater who is the self pro claimed know it all of this board. You state your opinion as if it is fact. Many of your predictions are nothing but speculations. The most absolutely laughable of any post you have ever made was when you said OU's
Softball hitter could not hit Alabama pitcher Alexis Osorio's rise ball because their stance was too wide. This was during the 2015 super regionals. Yea Plaino you know more than Tripp Mckay(0U hitting coach). Arrogance and ignorance personified.

Reactions: CTOkie

Read my post again. I thought Garcia's blown call on Jeter's non-home run was awful and it ruined the game for me to see such a tainted win. Richie Garcia gets no support from me....for the second time I'm telling you.
The Yankees winning one Series since 2000 wasn't due to umpiring, but bad personnel moves. Paul O'Neill was never replaced adequately when he retired after 2001. Tino Martinez was replaced by Jason Giambi, who had only 2 decent years in NY, Jorge Posada and Bernie Williams got old, Pettitte and Clemens went to Houston for the 2004 and 2005 seasons, bad trades for pitching netted mediocre pitchers, the farm system produced on good player from 2001-2014 and that was Cano and Alex Rodriquez's salary handcuffed the team for 8 years (including this year)....through all of this, the Core Four got old and faded.
The Yankees had developed the "Core Four" (Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, Rivera) in the early 1990's and were able to retain them as Steinbrenner was serving a 3 year suspension, so he could not trade them for aging veterans. Shrewd deals were made by GM Gene Michael and AGM Bob Watson who traded Roberto Kelly for Paul O'Neill in 1992. Then there were the trades for Tino Martinez the year after Mattingly retired, Kenny Rogers was traded for 3B Scott Brosius
Umpiring has gotten so poor that instant replays have had to be implemented to erase the umpires' incompetency.....and umpire biases are still with us.
I don't care if you hate the Yankees at all, but your anti-Yankee perspective is incorrect. You have on many occasions blamed umpires and football referees for causing losses of your favorite teams.
I watched most of the games Jeter played in and saw him strike out an average of 92 times a year. Your charge of preferential treatment by umpires of Jeter is baseless.
In interviews with Torre and Girardi, they often mentioned how the main attribute they looked at when acquiring a player was his on-base-percentage. The teams of the late 1990's and 2009 reflected this.

Get your facts straight . Jeter's play on Giambi happened in Oakland not Yankee Stadium. All your useless bull shit about the Yankees getting preferential calls by the umpires is nothing more than the delusional ramblings of a Yankee hater who is the self pro claimed know it all of this board. You state your opinion as if it is fact. Many of your predictions are nothing but speculations. The most absolutely laughable of any post you have ever made was when you said OU's
Softball hitter could not hit Alabama pitcher Alexis Osorio's rise ball because their stance was too wide. This was during the 2015 super regionals. Yea Plaino you know more than Tripp Mckay(0U hitting coach). Arrogance and ignorance personified.
McBrider, don't bother him with being objective or factual.

Reactions: veritas59
Wow, the more modern way to determine whether a player is over rated! It has nothing to do with skills, stats, or accomplishments. If you don't like the SOB he is overrated. You need to join the idiots who didn't vote for Terrell (sp?) Owens for the NFL Hall of fame. And I hate that SOB. He celebrated his touchdown against the Cowboys by running to mid field and standing on the star. Then Cowboy safety George Teague leveled his useless useless ass. I love that moment. But he deserves based on his performance on the field to be a hall of famer. If phone booths still existed I would suggest that you and Plano have a meeting of all the people in the world that think Derek Jeter is over rated or not HOF worthy. If Keith Olberman could fit in there it might be full.

dang man you need to drink a lot...it was a light hearted dig at jeter sorry to offend YOU....
Look I hate Tom Brady but he is probably the best QB ever, I dont like Jeter but I am not saying Jeter is a bad ball player...it was just a gig at him...dont take sports talk so serious...

Reactions: JConXtsy

The Yankees got it all the time. it wasn't about blunders. It was about MLB keeping a NY team and their fans happy. The Royals got less help from Denkinger than they Yankees got in most games that played.

And McBride, The Yankees didn't have to be at home, to get the breaks.

The Yankees got it all the time. it wasn't about blunders. It was about MLB keeping a NY team and their fans happy. The Royals got less help from Denkinger than they Yankees got in most games that played.

And McBride, The Yankees didn't have to be at home, to get the breaks.
Go back and read your post . That is exactly what you said. That Giambi did in your eyes barely beat the throw but that in Yankee stadium he was not going to get the call!! You arrogant ass!! You don't even remember what you post!! So it was all a conspiracy with MLB just wanting to keep NY teams and fans happy! Softball is about to start so why don't you start a new thread about the inherent disadvantage of wide stance for hitting a rise ball.

You're right, I did say that. I can tell you more details from WS two to four decades earlier. I likely didn't watch the Giambi play live, but we all saw it over and over again on various replays. Doesn't change what should have been a safe call. I suspect since it was late and in Oakland, that I likely was asleep in bed by the time of the play.

You're right, I did say that. I can tell you more details from WS two to four decades earlier. I likely didn't watch the Giambi play live, but we all saw it over and over again on various replays. Doesn't change what should have been a safe call. I suspect since it was late and in Oakland, that I likely was asleep in bed by the time of the play.
You're wrong Plaino....Giambi's foot had not touched the plate when Posada tagged him.
But we get it.....you hate the Yankees.

You're wrong Plaino....Giambi's foot had not touched the plate when Posada tagged him.
But we get it.....you hate the Yankees.

Just rewatched it on Youtube. I'd stand by what I said. Showed from three angles. He doesn't touch him till his foot hits the plate. And the ump was straightlilned, which means the call goes to the Yankees. He needs to see between them and instead, he's guessing.

Just rewatched it on Youtube. I'd stand by what I said. Showed from three angles. He doesn't touch him till his foot hits the plate. And the ump was straightlilned, which means the call goes to the Yankees. He needs to see between them and instead, he's guessing.

The YouTube replay I saw shows Giambi's right foot above the plate as tag was applied. The A 's and Giambi never protested.
But wait.....it has to be a conspiracy by the A's and Giambi not to slide....or maybe the on deck hitter for not signaling Giambi to slide.....or maybe Giambi slowing down rounding third base...or maybe if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

The YouTube replay I saw shows Giambi's right foot above the plate as tag was applied. The A 's and Giambi never protested.
But wait.....it has to be a conspiracy by the A's and Giambi not to slide....or maybe the on deck hitter for not signaling Giambi to slide.....or maybe Giambi slowing down rounding third base...or maybe if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.
I just watched the replay (cause I'm home sick) and he is out to me. Any question I might have had was easily erased by the reaction, or lack thereof, by Giambi and/or the Swingin' A's. There now that I have solved that what else you'll got

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT