ADVERTISEMENT

Swarbrick "two solar system model"

Sooner Showtime

Sooner starter
Jun 7, 2010
Interesting comments made by ACC leadership during their spring meetings.

Some guy (David Hale) who covered the ACC meetings was on Finebaum yesterday and said the ACC will only be able to placate Clemson, FSU, and Miami for so long. Unless something fundamental changes (e.g., Miami and FSU becoming really good again, Notre Dame football joining the conference), it's likely some "difficult" decisions will have to be made, but no one is eager to make those decisions right now (GOR is too far out anyway).

Something to keep an eye on over the next decade....

This week's ACC spring meetings covered some hot topics -- from NIL and tampering enforcement to the new scheduling plans, but with a B1G TV deal valued at more than $1.1B coming soon, it all felt a bit like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. LINK

Swarbrick spoke today and reiterated that concern: "We're getting to a two solar system model here. You have two suns with all the gravitational pull -- the Big Ten and the SEC. People are going to have to figure out how to align with one or the other.”

Swarbrick didn't make guarantees -- "possible but not inevitable" — but said there are "fissures" that creating the lines of demarcation: Football/men's basketball investment & success; philosophy/culture; finances. You can see those on display just in the ACC.

Miami AD Dan Radakovich basically endorsed Swarbrick's prediction, too: "The idea of having like-minded schools pull together and do something different, I know Jack talked about it as being inevitable, I don't know that I disagree with that. It's just what the timeline is."

Article from FSU Rivals: LINK

As second-year ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips spoke with the media late Wednesday afternoon to recap the week's events, he dropped this little nugget of uncertainty on reporters:

"I think it's time for us to look at alternative models for football," he said. "If we're ever going to do something -- and I hear about the future of football and taking care of the sport of football -- this is the time to do it. This is the time to do it, when you're reorganizing a structure like the NCAA.

"What are you doing with the sport of football? Does it need to be managed separately? Do you need to have a governance structure? Those are questions we should be asking ourselves."

Addressing revenue gap is ‘top of mind’ for ACC, but disparity will only grow larger: LINK

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News