ADVERTISEMENT

Sup

2000 wasn't that great until the very end. We could stop a good even great running game. But those who could throw the ball gave that defense some challenges and then some. The performance against FSU was lights out. But the Noles went the whole season using a hurry up offense, and when they lost their best receiver to off field stuff, they couldn't do that. We had a great plan. But without a mobile quarterback, the defense stuffed them.

A&M wasnt' a great team. But they gave us all we wanted. We came close to shutting down OSU, but they were a 3-8 team. A&M's best receiver was hurt in the previous game, but lit us up, the primary reason that we needed a late Marshall interception to win. Then A&M went the other way, and would have tied the score at worse. But Bob Stoops magic was alive all that season, Earlier ha'd successfully gone for a two point conversion, which meant A&M had to score six, not kick a field goal, down 35-31. And we barely stopped them. I believe Ferguson had over 200 yards receiving in the game.

We were playing a poor Kansas team in game one of the conference season, and they moved at will in the first half. Then we shut them down in the second half. I never enjoyed a game more than 63-14 in the Cotton Bowl, game four. But for the season, it wasn't a dominating performance. KState got 31 in game 1, and 24 in game two, the CCG. Not exactly dominating. This was before we had to face anybody running a spread offense. OUrs was the only spread in P6. 2001 was a GREAT defense. But we lost four OLinemen over the course of the season and ended up starting four freshmen when we lost to OSU, late. Just had no offense by then. That defense had the Superman play in the Cotton Bowl against the Horns. Then they just totally shut down Arky in the Cotton Bowl Classic.

In 2001, KState had a really good offense, and we barely won 38-37 And in the opener against North Carolina got 27 mostly against our number two defense late. But in the other 11 games in an 11-2 season, we game up 100 points total. THAT team was a better defense than 2000.

Last year, when Stutesman played the whole game, with our whole team, we were undefeated. It's not far fetched at all. I figure we have the toughest schedule in the country, considering the possibilities of going undefeated. But we're OKLAHOMA! I see too much talk like we're some second tier program. We don't just need Stutsman to stay healthy. We need Arnold for 14 games too.

But if that happens, we'll compete with anybody. Arnold is going to have his challenges. A first year young starter at quarterback will. But this guy is a stud. We'll need some breaks. But I think we'll have as good a chance as anyone to make the top four. Seriously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT