SUN scrimmage info UPDATE 6:56PM

Carey Murdock

Sooner starter
Staff
Dec 6, 2001
Norman, OK
www.soonerscoop.com
UPDATE: 6:56PM

Have confirmed that Keith Ford was not practicing today according to multiple sources. Another source tells us Ford's locker has been cleared out and his name tag removed from his locker.

I don't expect Ford to be back with the team. But for some reason this has become a very hush, hush situation. Not sure why that is. Hopefully Stoops can shed some more light on the situation Monday. It could be just a standard decision to transfer.

Also heard another account from practice and that is that Baker Mayfield was the best QB on the field leading his offense to three scores on four drives. There are varying reports on Trevor Knight's day now. I heard he did well, but now I'm hearing he threw three interceptions on the day (not sure they scrimmaged long enough for that to happen so they may have been counting a pick he had outside of scrimmage action: as in during a skelly period). Was told that Trevor moved the ball on offense but on his best drive he took team down inside 15-yard line before Zack Sanchez intercepted his pass.

Was told Lincoln Riley was all business today and pretty intense during the scrimmage.

ORIGINAL POST

Guys,

Just starting to hear back from some people on what went down today.

Sooners hit the practice field around 10:45am this morning and had a basic practice session before getting into scrimmaging just after 12:30pm. So it wasn't a full blown scrimmage today like it we're used to with scrimmage days.

I'm guessing they want to hold off the scrimmaging for a full practice since things have been so scattered with being on the field. Probably more important to get players time with all these new coaches, work on this four-man front stuff more, work more DBs into the defense.

I'm going to have more info later tonight about how the scrimmage went so this is just a quick what I've heard so far post.

General impressions from some people I've talked to are this:

Jordan Evans hasn't lost a step putting on all that weight. He was almost always one of the first people mentioned when I asked sources to tell me what players stood out to them the last week.

Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon both catching a lot of passes in practices, out of the backfield, and looking very, very good. I know Mixon will be a great receiver, but we sometimes overlook Perine's ability to catch the football.

Sterling Shepard looks really good from people that have watched him this week. He looks like he's fully recovered from that groin injury and moving better than anyone else at receiver right now.

Continue to hear really good things about Dede Westbrook as well. He's not slowing down any.

Chandler Garrett did make it to Norman today. I know he was expected to be there, but he was seen at practice today.

Still checking with sources for more details on big plays from scrimmage session as well as just some overall play from guys. Asked around about Keith Ford and waiting to hear back on that. Also trying to confirm if Jordan Smallwood had an injury today. I know that's floating around.

Don't have a timeline on when I'll have more info, but I'll post as soon as I get things.

This post was edited on 3/29 7:06 PM by Carey Murdock

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.