ADVERTISEMENT

Sugar Bowl article

Soonerborn59

Sooner starter
Aug 16, 2009
Was browsing through some Alabama newspapers online to see the after game remarks of the Sugar Bowl and found an article that made me not only laugh but also brought back many memories. I apologize if this had been posted before but it is an interesting read that will bring a smile to all of use who remember this game. This is from the perspective of Auburn players from that 72 game.

LINK

Was browsing through some Alabama newspapers online to see the after game remarks of the Sugar Bowl and found an article that made me not only laugh but also brought back many memories. I apologize if this had been posted before but it is an interesting read that will bring a smile to all of use who remember this game. This is from the perspective of Auburn players from that 72 game.

LINK

Oh my! That was entertaining! Thanks for the Saturday morning belly laughs.

"I almost caught him." "You couldn't have caught him if you had a damn motorcycle!"

Great article

I wonder if Auburn Coach Shug Jordan had started recruiting black players before Auburn's game with OU in the 1972 Sugar Bowl.
I see this game the way I saw the USC-Alabama game played in Tuscaloosa in 1970, when USC mauled Alabama 42-21 with Sam Cunningham and company. Bear Bryant realized then that the black athlete was vital in continuing his team's winning ways.
OU and Nebraska toyed with Auburn and Alabama in their bowl games following the 1971 season. Greg Pruitt and Johnny Rodgers had field days.

I wonder if Auburn Coach Shug Jordan had started recruiting black players before Auburn's game with OU in the 1972 Sugar Bowl.
I see this game the way I saw the USC-Alabama game played in Tuscaloosa in 1970, when USC mauled Alabama 42-21 with Sam Cunningham and company. Bear Bryant realized then that the black athlete was vital in continuing his team's winning ways.
OU and Nebraska toyed with Auburn and Alabama in their bowl games following the 1971 season. Greg Pruitt and Johnny Rodgers had field days.

Here is an article that should answer your question CT.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080313aao.html

Sadly it wasnt just one clip on that return and how they missed them is mind boggling. Despite that it will still be the greatest game played in my lifetime even though OU lost.

No doubt there was a clip on Wylie, but it happened early in the game and it's not why the Sooners lost; who's to say they wouldn't have driven down and scored anyway? And if they did, maybe we don't get the score late in the first half. We turned it over way too much and couldn't stop them at the end of the game. That's why we lost.... in my opinion, of course.

No doubt there was a clip on Wylie, but it happened early in the game and it's not why the Sooners lost; who's to say they wouldn't have driven down and scored anyway? And if they did, maybe we don't get the score late in the first half. We turned it over way too much and couldn't stop them at the end of the game. That's why we lost.... in my opinion, of course.

Your opinion is correct. To many turnovers ( I belive OU had 4 ) is what ultimately cost the Sooners the game.

Here is the entire story and I am sure it has been read by many. I was off on the turnovers as OU had only 3.

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/games/recap.cfm?GameID=690

[QUOTE="veritas59, post: 1635015, member: 2410
We turned it over way too much and couldn't stop them at the end of the game. That's why we lost.... in my opinion, of course.

"and couldn't stop them at the end of the game." So true. I can remember like it was yesterday, when Rogers reception down inside the 20 moved the Huskers from mid-field, thinking "shit, they're going to score". Then Kinney ran, ran, ran and ran again. I wish we could have called on a big dose of Sooner Magic, but there was no such thing until a few years later, up in Nebraska no less. I know I'm in the minority because almost every Sooner fan accepted the loss because it was such a great game and got a lot of notoriety, but that one still hurts me really bad to this day. I've only watched the replay once. Yet seen Johnny Rogers' punt return a million times.

Last edited:

"and couldn't stop them at the end of the game." So true. I can remember like it was yesterday, when Rogers reception down inside the 20 moved the Huskers from mid-field, thinking "shit, they're going to score". Then Kinney ran, ran, ran and ran again. I wish we could have called on a big dose of Sooner Magic, but there was no such thing until a few years later, up in Nebraska no less. I know I'm in the minority because almost every Sooner fan accepted the loss because it was such a great game and got a lot of notoriety, but that one still hurts me really bad to this day. I've only watched the replay once. Yet seen Johnny Rogers' punt return a million times.

I remember it, too. Also remember not having any appetite for the turkey dinner after the game.

That last drive was like death by 1000 cuts.

The 78 game vs. NU haunts me. Sims fumbled twice deep in Husker territory and those were crucial. I still believe to this day OU was the best team in CFB and its to bad they were relugated to a rematch against the Huskers in Orange Bowl.

http://soonerstats.com/football/games/recap.cfm?GameID=772

I remember it, too. Also remember not having any appetite for the turkey dinner after the game.

That last drive was like death by 1000 cuts.

I feel that OU was the better team and told everyone that for 40 years. Almost everyone says I'm just a sore loser. I'm not. Oklahoma was the best team in college that year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT