ADVERTISEMENT

Strong fired by whorns...

I'm more surprised by the LSU move than the UT move to fire Strong.

Not sure if UT would be excited about hiring Kiffin. He has been a brilliant assistant over the years, but he failed pretty miserably out at USC. Hard to imagine if ANY head coach worth their salt fails at USC that they would succeed elsewhere. But then again Kiffin may be excited to get away from the Saban ass-chewings he gets from time to time. Lol

I think everyone realizes that Herman right now is the favorite to think UT is going all-in for. But dunno if UT wants to roll the dice with a coach from a program like Houston. They may be opting to lure a bigger name coach to Austin. No doubt we will find out shortly.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
I'm more surprised by the LSU move than the UT move to fire Strong.

Not sure if UT would be excited about hiring Kiffin. He has been a brilliant assistant over the years, but he failed pretty miserably out at USC. Hard to imagine if ANY head coach worth their salt fails at USC that they would succeed elsewhere. But then again Kiffin may be excited to get away from the Saban ass-chewings he gets from time to time. Lol

I think everyone realizes that Herman right now is the favorite to think UT is going all-in for. But dunno if UT wants to roll the dice with a coach from a program like Houston. They may be opting to lure a bigger name coach to Austin. No doubt we will find out shortly.
Kiffin might go to LSU as OC...

I don't think Orgeron is a bad hire. He needs to get a good OC to be successful...

texASS needs to hit a HR, but who is that guy?

Notre Dame and Oregon are probably going to be looking for coaches too. IMO, there aren't very many great hires available right now. I will be surprised if Orgeron is still at LSU in five years. I don't have anything against him, but he didn't get the USC job after he took over for Kiffin and then failed badly at Ole Miss. Maybe his luck will be better at LSU, but that is a tough place to please the angry for someone that was the Tiger's third pick. Assuming the rumors about Fisher and Herman were true.

LSU passed on Herman, when he asked for an average of seven million per year in his initial contract. Otherwise, Orgeron, whose getting half of that, would be out of a job.

LSU passed on Herman, when he asked for an average of seven million per year in his initial contract. Otherwise, Orgeron, whose getting half of that, would be out of a job.

Holy crap! And it was also reported that Fisher wanted $6.5M. What is it about LSU that these guys feel it's worth that kind of money?

Fisher turned down 6.8 from LSU and LSU turned down Herman and his asking 7m so Herman signing with Texas today...wonder if he'll get 7m from Texas? That would make him the highest paid in Big 12 and second only to Harbaugh in the NCAA

Good hire for Texas. Herman can hit the ground running in recruiting as he knows the Texas high school landscape. He will have all the resources needed and should return Texas to relevance if he is fully in control.

Why would Kiffin leave his current gig at Alabama for LSU?? Escaping the tyranny of Saban is the only thing I can think of.

According to a story on the LSU website, "the relationship between Saban and Kiffin has 'run it's course'."

If that's true, then Kiffin gets to stick it to Nick in an additional way, because he surely has some insights about how Saban does things that would be valuable info for anybody coaching at LSU.

Reactions: Oklabama
According to a story on the LSU website, "the relationship between Saban and Kiffin has 'run it's course'."

If that's true, then Kiffin gets to stick it to Nick in an additional way, because he surely has some insights about how Saban does things that would be valuable info for anybody coaching at LSU.
So according to an LSU website, that's a fancy way of saying "Kiffin has grown tired of putting up with Saban"?? Lol Which I can definitely see that being the truth. Saban has a reputation of being VERY demanding to work for.

And I doubt Kiffin knows many ultra-secret things of how Saban does things that most coaches don't already know.

Then is it safe to say Texas ponied up the 7mil/year for Herman?? God almightly....7mil a year for nothing more than hopeful potential.

If so, the price of poker just increased for guys like Bob Stoops. I'd take a guy like Mike Gundy over Herman in a heartbeat.

Reactions: BillyRay
So according to an LSU website, that's a fancy way of saying "Kiffin has grown tired of putting up with Saban"?? Lol Which I can definitely see that being the truth. Saban has a reputation of being VERY demanding to work for.

And I doubt Kiffin knows many ultra-secret things of how Saban does things that most coaches don't already know.

It's not about ultra secret handshakes. It's about what keys the defense uses against certain situations. It's about a multitude of things. Stuff changes every year, but some things are pretty consistent for most guys. The more you know about an opponents' M.O., the more you can figure out possible weaknesses.

Coaches spend a lot of time watching video to figure out things like, blocking rules for the other guys. It allows you to know the best way to blitz them. It's just a small example. But everyone does it a little different. When you've had long discussions with your head coach about things you want to do, and the hc shoots down some of it, he'll typically tell you why. That info is valuable.

Well, I now expect both Houston and LSU to be in hot pursuit of Lincoln Riley; Houston for head coach and LSU for highly paid OC.

Reactions: Oklabama
Kiffin and Orgeron have a history of working together... whether Kiffin would work under Orgeron is another question

It's not about ultra secret handshakes. It's about what keys the defense uses against certain situations. It's about a multitude of things. Stuff changes every year, but some things are pretty consistent for most guys. The more you know about an opponents' M.O., the more you can figure out possible weaknesses.

Coaches spend a lot of time watching video to figure out things like, blocking rules for the other guys. It allows you to know the best way to blitz them. It's just a small example. But everyone does it a little different. When you've had long discussions with your head coach about things you want to do, and the hc shoots down some of it, he'll typically tell you why. That info is valuable.
So in other words, when playing against Kiffin in the future, Saban will take such things into account, gameplan accordingly, and make such info null and void. Good info.

Hmmm... So the coaches have a responsibility... Good to see you coming around...

Hmmm... So the coaches have a responsibility... Good to see you coming around...

Coaches have a ton of responsibility. But the guy with the better players has a huge advantage. And you can do all the X's and O's you want, but if the defender misses the tackle or the receiver drops the pass, that isn't a coaching problem.

Around here, every fault is blamed on coaches. And that is nonsense.

Reactions: LongTimeSooner
Coaches have a ton of responsibility. But the guy with the better players has a huge advantage. And you can do all the X's and O's you want, but if the defender misses the tackle or the receiver drops the pass, that isn't a coaching problem.

Around here, every fault is blamed on coaches. And that is nonsense.
When a team as a whole doesn't tackle well, that is a coaching problem. Ask John Clark...

Then is it safe to say Texas ponied up the 7mil/year for Herman?? God almightly....7mil a year for nothing more than hopeful potential.
And it's more safe to say that, assuming a 5-year contract and including Strong's $11 mil. buyout is spread out over that period, they're paying him $9+ mil/year.

If Herman fails at Texas it could put them in a funk they won't climb out of for some time.

Coaches have a ton of responsibility. But the guy with the better players has a huge advantage. And you can do all the X's and O's you want, but if the defender misses the tackle or the
The 1977 Cardiac 'Cats said hello... Coach Kimbrough told us how that team won, as well as my brother who wrote for the school paper back then... Fundamentally sound football... Talent? Better players? Which team in the playoffs was Plano supposed to beat that year?

One thing is for certain, he's not coming into the job without any athletes to coach.
I keep seeing this stated and then I remember Kansas. Even Ohio and Memphis kicked the crap out of Kansas. Kansas is not a team a group of athletes loses to. UT has talented running backs, but outside of them nobody appears remarkable.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT