ADVERTISEMENT

STAFF PICKS: UTEP

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
@BPrzybylo - Congratulations on making it to another Oklahoma season. After whatever 2021 was, there’s just a different vibe to what 2022 is going to be for the Sooners.

And it all starts Saturday afternoon. First game of the Brent Venables era and all of my focus is going to be on the defense. Again, it’s just a lot of expectations for this group to be great right from the jump. Will they be able to do it?

Offensively, have a lot of trust in what coordinator and quarterback Dillon Gabriel are going to be able to accomplish. If there’s a hiccup or two, they’ll figure out and keep the Sooners rolling.

We’ve seen a lot of times in recent years the defense attempt to set the tone but falter right out the gate and things never really get on track.

You’re hoping for all the fundamentals to be checked off, and that will be like half the battle. Being in position to make the play, and then it’s just about finishing it off.

Across the board, it feels like the defense should be solid. But what Saturday could give us the first glimpse of is who can be the breakout performer(s)? It’s great for 11 men to be working in one unit, but OU only makes that leap if someone like Jalen Redmond or Ethan Downs or Danny Stutsman can go to that next level.

Gabriel throws for just under 300 yards and three touchdowns, while Eric Gray finds the end zone twice to get the offense going.

Defense ends up with at least six tackles for loss and creates two turnovers as the Venables era gets off to a nice start, with the only question being how many true freshmen play for the on-going tracker this season.

OU 48, UTEP 10

@Eddie_Rado - I can't believe it's here. Finally. Talk about an off-season. OU fans have been through it. Since the last time we talked in a game predict Oklahoma lost a Lincoln and gained a Brent. We all know how I feel about that. Advantage: Good guys.

The buzz is intoxicating. It's been said time and time again. For those that haven't been paying attention: This is as excited as I've seen the fanbase in quite some time. It's refreshing, in a way.

But what can you expect? Sure there's going to be hiccups. There always are in season openers. Find a way. Take care of the controllables. Do what we've heard coming out of preseason camp. Tackle. Win the line of scrimmage. Play with discipline Brent Venables has preached. I'm just as excited to see the debuts of Dillon Gabriel, Jeffery Johnson and Jayden Gibson. Deep balls to Marvin Mims. And a new look David Ugwoegbu.

It's one of the best times of the year. The dawn of a new season. A season that seems like has been nine months in the making. Through the highs and lows I ask that you enjoy it. Because we'll blink and it'll once again be the end of the year and another long off-season.

Oh and by the way, Oklahoma will return a kickoff for a touchdown.

Oklahoma 56
UTEP 16

@Josh_M - Wow, how do I follow Eddie with that last sentence, a special teams touchdown...is that a thing? Can that be allowed to happen?

In fact, the last time OU ran back a kickoff?

You've probably chosen to forget it, that 2016 beating in Norman against Ohio State when Joe Mixon went 97 yards for a touchdown.

But let's move forward and focus on what could be in the future, first of all I'm expecting a fairly resolute performance. I think UTEP might get a sneaky touchdown early on with the Sooners a bit too amped up and just making a foolish mistake that allows for maybe a long score? The one thing I don't expect to see? Sustained drives, I just don't think you're going to see what you saw against Tulane last year where they just mashed OU up front and drove down the field repeatedly.

I expect a solid defensive performance, with a few turnovers being created by some of the length and speed that exists in the back seven. My prediction? Marcus Striping and R Mason Thomas combine for three sacks on the night.

Offensively is where things get interesting, not so much in how Oklahoma can and will handle things but just what they choose to do offensively. I get a sneaking feeling that the Sooners may show a little more than people expect. Not that they'll need to, just to give teams more to prepare for in the future and to flex their muscles just a bit? Maybe I'm wrong, it's just a feeling that I get.

The good news is I'm going to predict three backs go over 100 yards before the nights over, I think it's Eric Gray, Marcus Major, and well...someone else. It could be Jovontae Barnes it could be Tawee Walker, or any of several other backs who are simply just eating up carries in the second half. I just expect a fairly dominant run game for the Sooners. I think you'll see a very workmanlike show from Dillon Gabriel, maybe something like 19-26 for 215 yards or something along those lines? I really think this one will be about establishing the run game and letting that be a lot of their explosive plays - even if it's some jet sweep stuff with Marvin Mims and co.

In the end, I expect a dominant performance that you all should come home pleased with but probably still with some questions due to simply dominating a team that isn't athletically of the same caliber as Oklahoma.

Oklahoma 52
UTEP 17

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News