ADVERTISEMENT

STAFF PICKS: Iowa State

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
@BPrzybylo - This is a game where Oklahoma just needs to win. That sounds like a rather obvious statement, but no style points necessary here.

The Sooners haven’t looked good against Iowa State in a long, long time (2015?), and there’s no reason to think 2022 is going to be any different.

But win on the road? That would be enough. It’s an interesting game because this is the week where if the OU defense has really made some strides, this is where you’re going to see it. ISU hasn’t been able to do much of anything on that side of the ball, and the defense should be able to handle its business.

Flip it over, and it’s going to be about patience. Everybody knows what ISU is going to do on defense, and how effective the rush three and drop eight concept has been for the Cyclones. You can’t play hero ball.

You’re not going to hit the 40- and 50-yard chunk plays, at least not consistently. Have to be content at slowly going down the field. Hitting the shallow crossers, which should mean a pretty big day for guys like Brayden Willis and Drake Stoops.

If Dillon Gabriel takes care of the ball and stays calm, OU wins. It would help if the OU defense could get a turnover or two, but if Gabriel is clean, there’s just not enough from ISU to be worried about. We’ll see what strides, if any, the defense was able to make in the last two weeks.

Neither team hits the 30-point mark, but again, that’s quite OK. Running back Eric Gray notches another 100-yard game, and Zach Schmit comes up with a four-field goal performance.

It’s not memorable, but it’s a W.

OU 26, Iowa State 17

@Eddie_Rado - Here goes nothing. As we discussed this week on the Unofficial40 it's hard to get a good feel on what to expect this weekend. I *THINK* Oklahoma is starting to find something offensively. If Jeff Lebby and the Sooners can lead on a run game that has been a lone positive you would think there's success to be had. Obviously No.8's presence is integral to navigating this team through the final five games of the regular season.

But then there's the defense. Who the hell knows. I'm done trying to talk myself into thinking they are going to turn the corner. All you can ask from this group is taking incremental steps in the right direction each Saturday. It's a work in progress and will continue to be for the rest of the season. Find a way to slow down Xavier Hutchinson. Force a couple turnovers. Make tackles. Yep, the bar is extremely low.

Maybe it's heart over head. Oklahoma finds a way.

Things to watch:

* Eric Gray continues steady play at running back
* Billy Bowman returns and records an interception
* OU makes a big play in special teams

Oklahoma 34
Iowa State 27

@Josh_M - Alright guys, time to get to my usual drivel and I know you all are hoping I'll pick against your Sooners again but let's talk this out first. You scrolled to the bottom already didn't you?

Well, you're awful but let's get into how I got there anyway.

OK, so the more I look at this game the more I feel good about where it has fallen in the Sooners schedule. It's a nice bit of timing for Oklahoma who has had two weeks to get a bit healthy and build off some of the confidence they showed (at times) against Kansas. And while people try and belittle that defensive performance it was growth on some level. There are periods of that game where the defense looked, let's call it functional.

And the reality is that so much of what Kansas troubled Oklahoma with is stuff that Iowa State just hasn't done much of this year - motion, pre-snap looks, etc. The issues Oklahoma has had with pre-snap alignment and, at times, looking all over the place with it's positioning...shouldn't be as much of an issue. What Iowa State shows you is what you're likely to watch play out.

Offensively the Sooners should be able to find some success on the outside in the run game and though they will need to be patient in the passing game but that can be aided by attacking the second level with Brayden Willis and Eric Gray. Look for plenty of swings to Gray and forcing Iowa State's back seven to tackle him in space and if the Sooners can get the ground game going a bit look for Willis to catch some passes behind the linebackers as the game progresses.

Oklahoma 31
Iowa State 21

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News