ADVERTISEMENT

STAFF PICKS: Iowa State

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
@BPrzybylo - What does this Oklahoma team have left in the tank? If it was so hard to scratch and claw to a 9-0 record, what’s the attitude at 9-1 and facing another quality opponent?

It seems preposterous to be asking these types of questions, but that’s where we are with two weeks left in the regular season.

Guess we’ll start with an obvious point here in that OU’s offense and Caleb Williams cannot possibly play any worse than what they did last week at Baylor.

For as good Iowa State has traditionally been defensively, the Cyclones have been gashed by West Virginia and Texas Tech in the last month. This isn’t some monster that OU cannot overcome.

But it is something the Sooners can’t overcome if they don’t get Kennedy Brooks and the running game going again. It has been a puzzling disappearing act the last three games, and it was mind-boggling the lack of attempts in Waco.

OU’s defense was solid for three quarters, and we know Brock Purdy will give you chances. Just like last year, it’ll be about capitalizing on at least some of them.

Nothing new about the Cyclones. From Breece Hall to big receivers to Charlie Kolar, OU knows full well what to expect. Are the personnel in the spot it needs to be effective?

Way too many questions entering a game like this. It’s senior day, but it’s also 11 a.m. kick. Weird dynamic and nobody knows how it’s actually going to come together. Have the Sooners checked out? Or can they exhale and now play quality ball?

It’s gonna be ugly at times like every OU game has been. Some good moments from Williams, a couple of defensive busts for Alex Grinch’s guys. Never pretty, but the Sooners move to 10-1 with hopes of taking down 10-1 Oklahoma State in Bedlam in Stillwater.

Brooks scores a late touchdown to carry the day.

OU 28, Iowa State 25.

@Eddie_Rado - I don't think there's anyone that would sit here and tell you Oklahoma-Iowa State has become a rivalry of sorts. But it would be ignorant to downplay the types of games the Sooners and Cyclones have churned out in recent years. And I expect that to be no different come Saturday morning.

And although it's not the game with the expectations we thought it would when the schedules were annoucned let me make the case there's still a lot to play for. For both sides.

The Sooners ... you're still 9-1. Yes. I know. We were told the sky is falling. And Lincoln Riley's leaving. And everything else under the sun that is bad. But there's still a chance to play for the Big 12 title (BORING!). There's still an opportunity to play something of a spoiler in Bedlam (oh how the roles are reveresed!).

The Cyclones ... put more simply it's a chance of redemption for a season that is now lost. Becoming the best versions of themselves as Matt Campbell says would include a second victory in Norman in their last three trips. A win on Saturday could catapult a dissapointing season to an 8-win regular season and bowl game. Win that and you're all of the sudden at nine wins. That used to be reason for a Busch Light keg stand in Ames.

So here's the deal. I have no idea. It's the 11th game of the season and you're guess is as good as mine. I didn't think the defense played terrible in Waco. I know, I know. Caleb Williams and the Oklahoma offense has to carry its weight. Lincoln Riley has to call a better game. Do that and I think this team finds the balance thta has been missing.

Oklahoma 34
Iowa State 26

@Josh_M - There is a big part of me that believes that Matt Campbell's statement earlier this week and some of the things I've heard about Iowa State following the tough to swallow Texas Tech game leads me to think this a team that's almost teetering on the brink of maybe not collapse but pretty considerable failure.

That being said all that I know about that program under Campbell tells me that's just not very likely to play out and they will find a way to rally themselves against a team that they really have made their name against.

The thing that I go back and forth about is which quarterback is going to have the better day?

While I think Caleb Williams is absolutely the more talented and the one who has a chance to have the biggest day he's also facing a defense that has shown itself to be very consistent. Meanwhile Brock Purdy, for the comedy of errors, that he can be at times is a solid Big 12 quarterback facing a defense that has yo-yoed to extremes throughout the season.

And when you have two quarterbacks in questionable situations I think there are a few things that lean Oklahoma's way a little bit. First of all I believe in Oklahoma's Run game more than I do Iowa State's. I was going to sound crazy to people as Iowa State has the League's best back of the last 3 years in Breece Hall.

But the bottom line is that the blend of Williams, Brooks, and gray I think is running behind an offensive line more capable of opening holes than the Cyclones.

Add this to the reality that Oklahoma will have a home crowd that should be fairly focused following a loss and the reality of the problems that Iowa state has presented and I just think Oklahoma has a few more checks in their column.

I should note that I started this expecting to pick Iowa State but as I talked through it I just didn't find that's where I was really at.

Oklahoma 30
Iowa State 20

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News