ADVERTISEMENT

Staff Picks: Baylor

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
Joe DuVall - @Joe_DuVall

In the year 2000, Oklahoma entered the month of October with games against #11 Texas, #2 Kansas State, and #1 Nebraska. The Sooners, coming off of a 7-5 season, ended up winning all three on their way to a national title and the month of ‘Red October’ going down in OU lore for eternity.

Now, just imagine if the Sooners lose those three games. They finish the regular season 7-3 and are likely headed to a December bowl game. The ‘Big Game’ Bob moniker never comes to fruition and an entire legacy is forever changed. All because of how one football team played for one month.

15 years later, opportunity knocks again. This time it’s the month of November and awaiting in the labyrinth is #6 Baylor, #15 TCU, and #8 Oklahoma State.

The first test in Waco comes against the team that has embarrassed the Sooners each of the last two seasons and don’t think for a second that the entire team, from coaching staff to walk-on, isn’t fired up to get the Baylor monkey off of their back.

I was told that the locker room after last Saturday’s win over Iowa State was a completely different environment than usual. The team was happy to earn another victory, but there was little time spent celebrating before the eyes focused forward. Speeches about pride and revenge erupted with the most passionate, fiery outburst coming from…

Mike Stoops.

It was Stoops’ defense that allowed 40+ points the last two meetings. It was Stoops’ defense that was booed mercilessly by his own home crowd during the opening drive of the second half a year ago. It was Stoops who was shown on national television having a shouting match with a senior cornerback, as it all appeared to unravel around him.

However, people don’t seem to remember that the offense also failed to eclipse 20 points in either game. It was the offense that failed to get anything going two years ago in Waco when Mike Stoops’ defense propelled Oklahoma to a 5-3 lead midway through the second quarter. It is Mike Stoops’ defense that now leads the Big 12 in scoring defense, total defense, pass defense, red zone defense, and sacks.

In fact, Oklahoma is second in the nation in sacks and it’s exactly what they’ll have to do Saturday to disrupt true freshman Jarrett Stidham, who is very talented, but is making the second start of his career in his program’s biggest game in the school’s 117-year football history.

Both units will play better this week, as they must, and I truly don’t see this one being anything other than an all-time classic. In my opinion, Baylor has more talent across the board, however OU has an advantage in multiple crucial areas including having more guys that can get after the passer and the more experienced passer in Baker Mayfield. Mayfield, also happens to possess the attribute that has given the Baylor defense fits all year; the ability to scramble, extend plays, and keep his eyes downfield.

I think this is a team with something to prove that plays best when it has something to prove.

Oklahoma 41
Baylor 38

Eddie Radosevich - @Eddie_Rado

Four weeks ago Oklahoma hit the road and traveled north to Manhattan.

Reeling from a loss the week before, the Sooners goal was to simply bounce back -- in a good way. Bounce back they did indeed, to the tune of a 55-point shutout in the Little Apple. That was a starting point.
In weeks since the Cotton Bowl debacle the goal has been rather straight forward: Win and get to November giving themselves a chance.

That opportunity comes on Saturday when Oklahoma makes it's first appearance at McClane Stadium in Waco.

Throughout the week, the eyes of the college football world have been squarely on the Big 12 Conference. If you like drama -- the Big 12 is place you would thrive. It's almost -- in a way -- like a real-life daytime soap opera played out in front of our own eyes. What a way for Oklahoma or Baylor to make a statement on Saturday in front of a national television audience.

The theme out of Norman has been a constant this week. It's going to take a team effort. Mike Stoops defense faces it's toughest task of the season in freshman quarterback Jarrett Stidham and his Baylor teammates. Corey Coleman is putting together a historic season catching the football. Shock Linwood even more impressive rushing with the ball in his hands. Stoops commented earlier in the week,'they have an answer for everything'.

The good news is Oklahoma has quite a few answers defensively. Charles Tapper started to come on with five sacks over the last two games, while Eric Striker has tallied 11 tackles for loss during the time Post UT. The return of Jordan Evans and Devante Bond was a positive step as is the anticipated return of All-Conference corner Zack Sanchez.

The question heading into Saturday comes in the form of: can opportunistic defense continue it's good fortunes? The turnover has been a friend to the Sooners during the time I've termed: Post-UT. Leading the conference in seven categories defensively, Oklahoma appears to have made a turn in the secondary. But- again- it's time to prove their worth with the big boys ahead.

Reversly, Baker Mayfield's biggest attribute during his first season under center has been his ability to take care of the football. This could be the key to victory on Saturday. Win the turnover margin and you likely win the game.

More than anything, Saturday's contest along the Brazos River stands as an opportunity for Oklahoma to claim -- or reclaim-- it's position within the conference. It seems everyone outside of Waco is sick and tired of the 'thatta boy, oh golly' fake charm Art Briles throws around. This is the kind of game a team can make a statement.

But for me to truly be a believer of this Sooners turnaround they'll have to prove it on the field and do so with the defense leading the way.

Baylor 47
Oklahoma 41

Josh McCuistion

This is one of the more difficult games for me to project in quite some time - there are so many recent variables that throw everything out of whack.

Was Baylor's ground game truly that dependent on Seth Russell?

Is Oklahoma's ground game as good as they've looked or is it just a lack of quality competition?

Has Oklahoma's defense figured things out since Tulsa or simply not faced another 'Briles-esque' offense?

I admit, I'm a buyer in Oklahoma's defense and it's development - particularly after watching how mightily Baylor struggled with Kansas State when they were forced to throw vertically for their yardage - as the field got more compressed, so did Baylor's options.

To me this game comes down to Oklahoma taking care of the ball and being able to run the ball with consistency. I'm not a big buyer in magic numbers in the rushing game but if Oklahoma doesn't surpass 150-yards I think it's tough to envision a win.

Simply put no matter how improved Oklahoma's defense is, no one is going to stay on the field with Baylor for 35+ minutes and keep scoring down - they are just too explosive. Need proof? The Bears scored 31 points against a Kansas State defense, that had a nice gameplan defensively, in less than 22 minutes of possession.

Now, Oklahoma's got a more talented secondary, and really entirety of a defense, than the Wildcats but the problem in the last two meetings with the Bears is a Sooners offense that has not been able to keep pace and get some rest for their offense.

So the question, above all the others - is Oklahoma's offense what we all think it has become?

I'll be honest, I'm not convinced on the offensive line as they just haven't played many quality talents/groups to date. Tomorrow that all gets answered - but you all will be watching it with me tomorrow, so you want answers now.

I'm going to say I'm a buyer, Oklahoma's passing game can loosen up some passing lanes for the Sooner ground game to do enough to keep Baylor's offense off the field.

And yes, I'm going to do the thing I swore I wouldn't do...pick Oklahoma over Baylor before the Sooners have proven they can handle the Bears.

Oklahoma 38
Baylor 34

Reactions: KHouse5OU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.